Great Idea for Reloading benches!

The place to discuss ammunition, reloading, ballistics, loads, and chamberings.
HTRN

Great Idea for Reloading benches!

Post by HTRN »

I came across this bit of brilliance while looking for something else: T-Tracks

Instead of having a bajillion presses taking up lotsa counter space, you put in some tracks, bolt the press to a plate with some t-nuts on it, and switch them out as needed.

There's some more posts about it in the original thread, including a poster who retrofits his setup after seeing the pics in question.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Re: Great Idea for Reloading benches!

Post by Netpackrat »

That is awesome. What material are the tracks made from, and how are they anchored to the bench?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Wow! I liked the T-Tracks idea and bench/room. Looks like the presses and other tools are mounted on 3/8 or 1/2" aluminum plates? Probably heavier on second look.

Also like the roll-around units with the ammo cans. The Rifle rack was not bad either.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote:That is awesome. What material are the tracks made from, and how are they anchored to the bench?
The guy is using 80/20, which can be kinda thick to put in a typical bench top - note he's using a maple butcherblock top, which is probably 2" thick.

You can buy basic T-track that's maybe 3/8" thick from woodworking suppliers like Rockler(They have 4 foot lengths for 20 bucks) Typically having predrilled holes every 4-6". One of the better ones I've seen was available in up to 8 foot lengths, but came "ribbed" on the outside, sorta like a heat sink, so you can also epoxy them in..

I'm just pissed I didn't think of it - I mean hell, my choice of career involved playing with t slots and bolting stuff to flat surfaces with them on a daily basis - I just didn't make the connection between Machine table to reloading bench :oops:
Rumpshot wrote:Wow! I liked the T-Tracks idea and bench/room. Looks like the presses and other tools are mounted on 3/8 or 1/2" aluminum plates?
Personally, I'd use Aluminum, but A)I've got access to machine tools, and B) I can get "drops" of aluminum plate for cheap, if not free.

I think if you look closely, you'll see the plates are actually made of delrin.

HTRN
Last edited by HTRN on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Wow. That reloading room is cleaner than any other layout I've ever seen.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Erik

Post by Erik »

I've read an article in a DIY magazine that had a similar idea for powertools. But they bolted the tools to identical boards, then drilled four holes through them at identical places, matching four holes in the bench. Then they just placed the tool needed on the bench, put four bolts through the holes, and secured it with nuts under the bench. Supposedly as solid as if the tools were bolted directly to the bench, and you could change them in a few minutes. And if you make a few more holes in the bench, you could set them up beside eachother too.

I thought about trying something like that when its time for me to set something up.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

HTRN wrote: Instead of having a bajillion presses taking up lotsa counter space, you put in some tracks, bolt the press to a plate with some t-nuts on it, and switch them out as needed.
So you're trading counter space for ..... storage space. ;-)
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

Great, another place to search for spilled primers, not to mention powder.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Except that presses, etc can be stacked up neatly next to each other, while if they were bolted down, you'd need working room around each press.
CByrneIV wrote:I did actually think of it; I just didn't think that the normal ttrack/tbolts were strong enough. I thought they would end up pulling out of the benchtop.

I never thought about using 10 series 80/20... that would certainly stay embedded.
I've been thinking about this issue, and it most centers around the rear track, as that's where most of the leverage would be applied. There's two seperate worries - the track seperating from the benchtop, and the t-nut point loading to failure the track. I think with epoxying the track in addition to screwing it down, and using wide(as in, the width of the plate to distribute load) T-nuts, both issues will probably be mitigated.

HTRN

Dedicated_Dad

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

I used anchor-nuts similar to these Image to mount my MC's wheel-chock on my trailer. The anchor-nuts are mounted on the underside of the deck, and I use eye-bolts to screw it down. When I remove it, the "nuts" stay in the holes and I need no tools to install or remove it...

My point: If one mounted each tools on a standard-sized board with mounting holes at uniform distances - like multiples of 6" or 12" - and used anchor nuts under the bench-top at the same intervals, it would be easy to swap out tools just like I do the wheel chock, and mount an almost infinite number of combinations of tools and arrangements.

DD
workinwifdakids wrote:MV Gun Counter: "We're like Blackwater, except without the impulse control."
Random Internet Moron wrote: "High Caliber Magazine Clips are only useful for random slaughter of innocent civilians, so they should only be used by the police."