Anderson stripped AR lowers

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Vonz90
Active Shooter

Anderson stripped AR lowers

Postby Vonz90 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Any opinion of them? Aim has them for $39 bucks. Looking to pick up one to do an M4-gery build for my son graduating Boat School so he can practice for Marine stuff. Maybe get an extra to build something for me too?

Langenator
Loose Cannon

Re: Anderson stripped AR lowers

Postby Langenator » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:25 pm

I've only done one build with them, but I have two more awaiting parts to become rifles. I paid $30 each for mine from Primary Arms, pre-Parkland.

Overall, I was happy with the lower. I had one issue - the fit between the roll pin that holds the bolt catch and the hole that it fits in was extremely tight, huge PITA to get the pin in. However, given that I also used a budget LPK, I'm not willing to put the blame on the receiver just yet. Next build will use a LPK from a known quantity maker (probably CMMG or Aero, or maybe one from Anderson themselves) to hopefully sort the issue.

But overall I'm satisfied.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Weetabix
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Weetabix » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:43 pm

I've done two builds with them. No problems. I thought that tight pin fit Langenator mentioned was just the way it was. You just have to be careful and try a couple things. I put duct tape on each side to prevent scratches. ISTR I was able to squeeze one in with taped plier jaws, and I drove the other in with a small hammer and a brass punch.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:41 pm

I would probably spend a little extra for an Aero lower. Brownells has them for $72 at the moment, though you can occasionally find them for less.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Weetabix
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Weetabix » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:56 pm

From what I've read, I'd do the Aero, too. Andersons just sort of showed up for me.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:56 pm

I have many, though I haven't done any builds on them.

The last 3 lowers I bought were Aero and I have no complaints at all. If you're just looking to put away some "Poverty Ponies" for a rainy day, go for it. If you're building something you want to use, get Aero's.

rightisright
Active Shooter

Postby rightisright » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:04 pm

I have 2 builds using them.. no issues. I bought several before the last national election. I put an LPK into one of them. Again, no problems.

IIRC, a while back, there was a complaint about the mag screw holes not being tapped deep enough. New ones don't have that issue.

Langenator
Loose Cannon

Postby Langenator » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:25 pm

So far, I've done builds with lowers from the following manufacturers:

Stag
Mega
Delton
Aero
Anderson

Of those, I've had issues with the Aero and the Anderson. The Anderson issue was noted above, and at this point I don't know if the issue was the lower or the LPK, or the interaction between the two (lower pin hole on the tight end of allowable tolerance, roll pin at the fat end of allowable tolerance).

With the Aero, I was using a POF drop-in trigger pack. The forward end of the trigger assembly 'well' was too narrow for the trigger pack. I pulled the trigger guts out of the Stag lower and the POF trigger pack fit in that lower just fine. The standard multi-piece trigger assemblage (DoubleStar, IIRC) that came out of the Stag went into the Aero just fine.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:32 am

The last lower I set up I had one of these bolt catch pin punches. With a little tape on the receiver it did a great job of putting the pin in with no damage.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:56 am

Langenator wrote:With the Aero, I was using a POF drop-in trigger pack. The forward end of the trigger assembly 'well' was too narrow for the trigger pack. I pulled the trigger guts out of the Stag lower and the POF trigger pack fit in that lower just fine. The standard multi-piece trigger assemblage (DoubleStar, IIRC) that came out of the Stag went into the Aero just fine.

So, non-milspec trigger unit may not be compatible with mil-spec lower. Good to know. :D

I am running a G2S trigger in mine and it works fine.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Langenator
Loose Cannon

Postby Langenator » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:32 pm

Well, there are no mil-spec triggers on the market, because mil-spec triggers are full auto or 3-round burst.

I will report that the LaRue MBT trigger fits quite happily in the Aero.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Candyman
Loose Cannon

Postby Candyman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:23 am

Y’all do know that Anderson is a manufacture. They make lowers for other companies.
I have used Anderson lowers on more then 20 builds with no problems. I think I have about 8 stripped Anderson lowers in my box.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:43 am

Dosent Andeson offer 100 lower bulk packs?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:40 pm

As I am both kind of cheap about such things, and only intending this rifle as a plinker / practice rifle for my son, I decided to go ahead and get the Anderson. And WTF, bought two extra as well. My other son is roughly 2 years out from graduation as a Mech E. and it would make a cool Graduation gift for him too.

... and a third one for when I get around to building a 6.5 or 6.8 rifle eventually and/or a hedge against black rifle inflation.

After the rifle for my son. My next project is actually getting a weaver rail welded to my G3. I have the rail, but do not trust my poor welding skills on a $1k rifle; need to find a gunsmith I can trust for that one.

More immediately, I need to pick a good but not too expensive mid length kit or upper with a flat top and some good folding iron sights.

rightisright
Active Shooter

Postby rightisright » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:35 pm

Vonz90 wrote:.

More immediately, I need to pick a good but not too expensive mid length kit or upper with a flat top and some good folding iron sights.

https://www.specopmfg.com/ Check out these guys. Great quality .. decent prices.

Return to “Guns and Shooting”