Good news for JK and family

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
JKosprey
Trigger Junkie

Good news for JK and family

Postby JKosprey » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:47 am

So, I've loosely posted about my wildlife degree and my struggles in finding steady work I could afford to do. Last year I went back to my earlier career of EMS. I took a job with a busy commercial EMS agency to fill the gaps and started a second degree with the intent of knocking out prerequisites for PA school.

While in the process, I realized that nursing school was a better option. PA school has a gap year (and a half) before starting. As a married 29 year old, we're hoping to start a family sooner rather than later, and nursing school could be started this very fall....and the further educational options (BSN, MSN, NP) are all designed for the working nurse. This means I can earn money while still working my way up to mid-level practitioner.

The Mrs. is from New Hampshire, and we've wanted to move back for quite awhile now. Today I got the first (of hopefully several) letters of acceptance. I've been accepted into a nursing program in New Hampshire, and will finally be leaving New York within the next few months!

I'm poor as shit, so I can't reap the benefits now. But I'm looking at:
-No income tax
-Constitutional Carry
-Class III unrestricted
-28-state reciprocity with a $10 optional permit

And of course, a direct path to a career where I can finally earn a decent living and start a family.

No real point here, but I wanted to share the joy. Cheers, all!

Jered
Good Christ I Need A Life

Re: Good news for JK and family

Postby Jered » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:06 am

Congrats!
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:11 am

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:48 am

JKosprey wrote:-No income tax

New Hampshire does have higher than average real estate taxes, so be sure to enquire about the annual tax bill when looking at property. :geek:

The big downside of New Hampshire is if your anywhere remotely feasible as a commute to Boston, you'll have Massholes living next to you. :|
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Cobar
Trigger Junkie

Postby Cobar » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:00 am

Congratulations

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:34 pm

My sister eventually went the nursing route and is a nurse anesthetist (sp?) now. She makes about double what I do as a Project Engineer. For a 30-40 hour week. No nights , weekends, hearts, or heads. A friend of hers from school working down in El Paso came in at almost $400k this last year hustling some crazy OT.

Like she says though, "Putting them to sleep is easy. Waking them back up again is the important part."

Congrats on the move and acceptance!

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:29 pm

Steamforger wrote:Like she says though, "Putting them to sleep is easy. Waking them back up again is the important part."

Like emergency medicine: Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round. Any change in that is a bad thing!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:31 pm

Nice! We vacationed in lovely New Hampshire last year. It was delightful. And nursing, from what I've been told, is a good gig - especially if you progress as you plan to.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

Precision
Active Shooter

Postby Precision » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Getting out of NY
Getting a line on getting paid better
Access to cool gunny stuff
Getting your Constitutional Rights back.

It is a damn good bit of news.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/

randy

Postby randy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:42 pm

Cool! Congrats
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

MiddleAgedKen
On a list somewhere

Postby MiddleAgedKen » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:27 am

Congratulation and best wishes!
Watergate didn't have a body count.

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:42 am

8-) Cool

g-man
Trigger Junkie

Postby g-man » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:35 am

Good to hear!
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Precision
Active Shooter

Postby Precision » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:01 pm

coming from a family with more than one nurse in it. Don't do the bedside hospital nursing all the crap and burn out and injury central. Not to mention being force fed dumb and contradictory rules all the time.

Get into a specialty, like wound care, pain clinic, some kind of special procedure - heart cath...

The money is better, the BS is way lower, you have decent to good hours and even the doctors don't give you too much shit because you know way more about the topic or are important to them getting their job done quickly and efficiently.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:09 pm

Note, a couple nurses on my Mother's side of the family. One uncle (former mechanic) became a nurse after an on the job injury and went into psychiatric nursing. They much prefer male nurses, and especially ones with a degree of physicality, in that sub-specialty and they pay is (per him) quite above average for the profession.

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:09 pm

We really need to let Aesop back in to add to this thread. 8-)
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:21 pm

blackeagle603 wrote:We really need to let Aesop back in to add to this thread. 8-)

Troublemaker. :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:12 am

blackeagle603 wrote:We really need to let Aesop back in to add to this thread. 8-)

Sleeping dogs and all that.....

John_in_Longview
Case Shiner

Postby John_in_Longview » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:57 am

Congratulations. Both of my sisters are nurses. I highly recommend getting your BS in nursing and not stopping at the associates degree level.

JKosprey
Trigger Junkie

Postby JKosprey » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:24 pm

Precision wrote:coming from a family with more than one nurse in it. Don't do the bedside hospital nursing all the crap and burn out and injury central. Not to mention being force fed dumb and contradictory rules all the time.

Get into a specialty, like wound care, pain clinic, some kind of special procedure - heart cath...

The money is better, the BS is way lower, you have decent to good hours and even the doctors don't give you too much shit because you know way more about the topic or are important to them getting their job done quickly and efficiently.

I'm definitely leaning towards some kind of specialty, but my experience thus far has all been emergency, so I'm going to play it by ear and see which clinicals I enjoy best. I was born at 28 weeks and 2 lbs, so, as emotionally draining as it may be, I kinda gravitate towards NICU/PICU or just OB in general. Might be nice to actually bring life into the world.

Ultimately I still intend to go for PA or NP at some point, but this way I can get working sooner and do the rest on my own time.

JKosprey
Trigger Junkie

Postby JKosprey » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:25 pm

John_in_Longview wrote:Congratulations. Both of my sisters are nurses. I highly recommend getting your BS in nursing and not stopping at the associates degree level.

Absolutely. But I can do that online after I board...while getting paid to do so.

JKosprey
Trigger Junkie

Postby JKosprey » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:27 pm

On a slightly related note,

I think the first gun thing I'm going to do is order a Garand from the CMP once I have the funds. There's something extra freedomy about having a firearm delivered to your door via mail, and I can't think of any other rifle that says "FREEDOM!" better than an M1.

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:23 pm

Outstanding!!! Congrats on your new path and we wish you success in your new path!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad

Cybrludite
Active Shooter

Postby Cybrludite » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:19 am

Congrats! My niece is doing a similar thing here, and is leaning towards surgery as her specialty, because there's less (and I quote) "wiping other people's asses" with that one.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.

skb12172

Postby skb12172 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:24 am

Bravo! Update us often, please.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.

Return to “The Kitchen Table”