Dick's Goes Zumbo

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
skb12172
Good Christ I Need A Life

Dick's Goes Zumbo

Postby skb12172 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:54 pm

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. :roll:

I'll never set foot in another one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.

g-man
Trigger Junkie

Re: Dick's Goes Zumbo

Postby g-man » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:41 pm

Libs on the book of face are sharing same and rejoicing. Dick's is free to enforce whatever policies they want regarding sales to anyone. Free country. They just lost a LOT of business though. Either you're an adult at 18, or you're not. 16 for driving, 18 for guns, 21 for alcohol? Makes zero sense, but we've all accepted it. I don't have a problem with graduated/tiered licensing for cars, since that's been shown to increase driver skill base and reduce accidents (european standards, for example), with no 'full' licence until 21.

But if we can trust you in a voting booth, we MUST trust you with a firearm, since with the vote you have the power (through statewide referenda) to wield the power of the .gov to enact and enforce laws... with guns.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

randy

Postby randy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:58 pm

I would refer to them as virtue signaling attention whores, but that would be insulting to prostitutes.

I was surprised they had any sales to ban. After Newton they made a big deal about banning "assault weapons" to the extent of screwing over multitudes of customers that had pre-paid ARs and such on order. They must have re-introduced them as some point when the virtue signaling was gaining them less revenue than gun sales.

I wouldn't know since I haven't set foot in a Dick's (or their subsidiary Field and Stream) since then. No need to when we had a Gander Mountain (RIP) and now a Cabela's locally, with plenty of local gun stores.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

Rod
Active Shooter

Postby Rod » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:11 am

Interesting they're doubling down now. After Sandy Hook, they left a gun maker in the lurch and took 6 months to return deposits on specialty guns special ordered through Dick's. He is also a lying bag of shit since Field and Stream was still selling black rifles since Sandy Hook. Supposedly they're also no longer selling them. The few times I wandered in, the staff lived up to the store's name and was overpriced as Hell.

On another note, Smith and Wesson and Ruger stocks dropped rather steeply today but I doubt it was because of the announcement. No other gun company stock fell that I know of.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist

skb12172

Postby skb12172 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:12 am

WalMart did the same. Actually good news in my opinion for local gun stores.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.

Jered

Postby Jered » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:11 am

randy wrote:I was surprised they had any sales to ban. After Newton they made a big deal about banning "assault weapons" to the extent of screwing over multitudes of customers that had pre-paid ARs and such on order. They must have re-introduced them as some point when the virtue signaling was gaining them less revenue than gun sales.

That sounds like a class action lawsuit.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

SoupOrMan

Postby SoupOrMan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:27 am

I've got a Scheels here, and maybe Gander will return soon (that's the current rumor at least). And a gun shop just opened across the street from my office.

Dick's? Dick who?
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds

Rod
Active Shooter

Postby Rod » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:45 pm

One opened up in El Paso about 3 years ago. I walked in the door and looked around. Ammo prices higher than most of the other big box stores, mainly hunting rifles and trap and skeet guns. Handguns more expensive than three local gun shops. Walked out and haven't been back. Oh, did I mention the sales staff believed in acting out the store's name?
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:39 am

On another forum I saw it suggested that everybody should go into a Dick's, fill up a shopping cart, and then "change their mind" and walk out leaving the shopping cart wherever. My question (there not being a Dick's in Alaska) was being a sporting goods store, do they have a bait freezer in the fishing section?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Termite
Probably Unemployed

Postby Termite » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:38 pm

Dicks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."

D5CAV
Trigger Junkie

Postby D5CAV » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:23 am

Netpackrat wrote:On another forum I saw it suggested that everybody should go into a Dick's, fill up a shopping cart, and then "change their mind" and walk out leaving the shopping cart wherever. My question (there not being a Dick's in Alaska) was being a sporting goods store, do they have a bait freezer in the fishing section?

About the only reason I can think of for going into a Dick's store. I'll buy my "Oh S###, I forgot to pack my ___" at Walmart before I'll darken the door at Dick's
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

g-man
Trigger Junkie

Postby g-man » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:17 am

D5CAV wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:On another forum I saw it suggested that everybody should go into a Dick's, fill up a shopping cart, and then "change their mind" and walk out leaving the shopping cart wherever. My question (there not being a Dick's in Alaska) was being a sporting goods store, do they have a bait freezer in the fishing section?

About the only reason I can think of for going into a Dick's store. I'll buy my "Oh S###, I forgot to pack my ___" at Walmart before I'll darken the door at Dick's

Except that Walmart jumped on this idiot bandwagon as well. SWMBO, of her own accord, has decided that we won't be shopping there anymore. Sam's Club, while the same parent company, doesn't sell firearms anyway, has an annual fee (read: Screening criteria), and is generally a better clientele anyway. Fuck DICK'S, Walmart, Delta, Enterprise, and the rest of these virtue signalling assclowns.

NPR: You can go into your local Fred Meyer (Kroger subsidiary) and pull the 'full cart - I forgot my wallet' bit as many times as you'd like. They're also on the bandwagon, and SWMBO mentioned she hopes they go out of business up there.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:04 am

g-man wrote:NPR: You can go into your local Fred Meyer (Kroger subsidiary) and pull the 'full cart - I forgot my wallet' bit as many times as you'd like. They're also on the bandwagon, and SWMBO mentioned she hopes they go out of business up there.

Works for me. It's gonna be a pain because the local grocery alternatives suck ass.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

MarkD
Active Shooter

Postby MarkD » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:27 pm

I buy some fishing gear at Dicks but once I empty the gift card I have I'll stick to Cabela's. I figure they already have the money on the card and they don't give back cash.

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:53 pm

Funny.JPG

Rod
Active Shooter

Postby Rod » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:46 pm

Two 20 year old employees quit very publicly, sharing their letters of resignation online. Both, from different stores basically said they couldn't work for an employer who took away their rights. No mention of lawsuits and such. Good for them. I got to thinking, get a good lawyer, and a bunch of 20 year old who work for the places that refuse to sell to them, class action lawsuit for age discrimination?

NVGdude
Trigger Junkie

Postby NVGdude » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:46 pm

Rod wrote:class action lawsuit for age discrimination?

Federal Civil rights laws do not apply, but roughly 1/3 of the states have age discrimination laws that would

https://reason.com/volokh/2018/02/28/ca ... rifles-and

scipioafricanus
Loose Cannon

Postby scipioafricanus » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:50 am

Somehow we need to apply the "bake the cake" standard.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka

Langenator
Loose Cannon

Postby Langenator » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:59 am

I want to see a gay couple do that at a halal bakery first. Just to watch leftists' heads explode.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

scipioafricanus
Loose Cannon

Postby scipioafricanus » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:33 pm

Langenator wrote:I want to see a gay couple do that at a halal bakery first. Just to watch leftists' heads explode.

Been done: https://youtu.be/RgWIhYAtan4

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:09 pm

I dont even see why they bother selling guns at all - theyres little profit in selling new ones. And they take up a tremendous amount of space that could be devoted to something more profitable. Huntimg isnt one of their core market segments anymore, so why bother?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Rod
Active Shooter

Postby Rod » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:12 pm

This should be interesting, especially in a state that has very strict discrimination laws.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/03/06/walmart-dicks-sporting-goods-sued-over-new-gun-policies/398288002/

Langenator
Loose Cannon

Postby Langenator » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:39 pm

I'd be really interested to see someone try the same line of argument regarding booze. Or marijuana, in a state where it's legal.

My position has always been that there should be one age at which a person is a legal adult and full citizen, entitled to all of the priviledges and immunities thereof. Voting, entering into contracts, purchasing guns, getting married (which is really just a specific kind of contract), joining the military (another contract), buying legal intoxicants, etc. Just pick one. 18, 21 25, whatever.

If you want to get more complicated, there could be some sort of "adulthood test", along the lines of the citizenship test required for naturalization. Perhaps also a suspension of certain rights (such as the right to vote) for things like dependency on .gov welfare programs.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:48 am

HTRN wrote:I dont even see why they bother selling guns at all - theyres little profit in selling new ones. And they take up a tremendous amount of space that could be devoted to something more profitable. Huntimg isnt one of their core market segments anymore, so why bother?

Assuming they are good at what they do, it is not just a question of how much money is spent on the firearms/ammo/other direct hunting and shooting supplies. It is a question of what other things the people who buy those things also buy (and even their families). So maybe someone only buys ammo there once a year plus a hunting license in the fall. If he is going to buy his kids cleats and baseball bats and his running shoes and wife's workout clothes somewhere else if they don't have that stuff when he needs it, then it is worth it to keep the stuff there. (BTW - this guy could be me, as I have bought a bow at Dick's in the past and probably some ammo here and there, but have spent a lot of money on stuff for the kids per year, plus my running gear, etc. - but WTF now they lost all that business to Academy et al.)

NVGdude
Trigger Junkie

Postby NVGdude » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:25 am

HTRN wrote:I dont even see why they bother selling guns at all - theyres little profit in selling new ones. And they take up a tremendous amount of space that could be devoted to something more profitable. Huntimg isnt one of their core market segments anymore, so why bother?

Hunting hasn't been a core segment for decades if ever. Their gun counter is honestly smaller than some folks gun-safes. :D

Profit on firearms is minuscule compared to the shelf space. Ammo is a proven money maker, but they probably make more money selling yoga mats than their entire "outdoor" section.

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:56 pm

NVGdude wrote:

Hunting hasn't been a core segment for decades if ever. Their gun counter is honestly smaller than some folks gun-safes. :D

Profit on firearms is minuscule compared to the shelf space. Ammo is a proven money maker, but they probably make more money selling yoga mats than their entire "outdoor" section.

See my note above. For retail, it is not necessarily how much money you make on something, just "not having it" will drive a segment of ones business to other places. So it does not matter how much money you make on those products, it matters how much money you loose because those specific people are not coming into your location any longer.

Even for commercial / industrial; there are lots of products carried even if the direct profit is trivial to non existent. A couple of years ago we developed some new products for a specific customer that we probably will not sell more than $5-10k a year on (a couple orders of magnitude below what we would normally consider the minimum for a new product development), but it was for a big customer and a lot of other business was dependent on also having these specific products. So net/net it made business sense.

NVGdude
Trigger Junkie

Postby NVGdude » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:14 am

I think I am going to make it a point to buy my Hunting License at Dicks from now on. And nothing Else. :mrgreen:

(Licenses make the retailer $0, it's another "get you in the door" item)

Windy Wilson
Active Shooter

Postby Windy Wilson » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:17 pm

Langenator wrote: Just pick one. 18, 21 25, whatever.

Don't give them any ideas, there are already psychiatrists talking about how one doesn't become an adult anyway until age 25. Move the limit to make any of the decisions/contracts you mentioned to age 25 and leave the voting age at 18 and the whole idea of moving the voting age to 16 is achieved.
Langenator wrote: If you want to get more complicated, there could be some sort of "adulthood test", along the lines of the citizenship test required for naturalization. Perhaps also a suspension of certain rights (such as the right to vote) for things like dependency on .gov welfare programs.

I've said in the past that the citizenship test should be given before voting is allowed. The trouble is, if the test is administered from the leftist's school books, particularly those of Howard Zinn, it would be worse than the current system.

And Vonz90, thanks for the Dicks photo.

Rod, you might be on to something, I recall that you couldn't hire under-21's for waitressing service in bars in California, so some argument can be made about hiring under 21's to sell arms. Of course, the solution is to fire them, and leave the pool of places where they can be hired even smaller, leaving the potential employees even more at the mercy of Leftist teachers.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy

skb12172

Postby skb12172 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Now, they are paying the expected price.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/dicks- ... un-stance/

Gunnuts
Case Shiner

Postby Gunnuts » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:59 pm

HAha.gif

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:25 pm

Play stupid games...

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:43 am

They suck anyway - I would much rather have Galyans back. :cry:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:04 am

HTRN wrote:They suck anyway - I would much rather have Galyans back. :cry:

Ditto. Galyans was amazing, and I was always surprised a store so close to shitcago could have so much excellent stuff. I haven't shopped at Dicks in several years, partly because they're stupid but they also sucked for inventory and prices of things I wanted.

Early Sports Authority was awesome. But they went downhill many many years before they failed.

toad
On a list somewhere

Postby toad » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:08 am

For some reason Dick's profits are going down.
"Put your wana buys and your need to buys at the back of the store so the customers walk past the "OOOOh shiny stuff. "

scipioafricanus
Loose Cannon

Postby scipioafricanus » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:31 am

Rich Jordan wrote:

Ditto. Galyans was amazing, and I was always surprised a store so close to shitcago could have so much excellent stuff. I haven't shopped at Dicks in several years, partly because they're stupid but they also sucked for inventory and prices of things I wanted.

Early Sports Authority was awesome. But they went downhill many many years before they failed.

LOVED Galyans! We probably went to the same one near the Kingdom of Chicago.

MarkD
Active Shooter

Postby MarkD » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:35 pm

About all I generally buy at Dicks is worms for fishing, and I have a gift card, I figure they've already got the money.

Then there was the memorable time when the young lady cashier didn't want to handle the worm container, she just handed me a bag to put it in myself.

I buy most of my fishing gear mail order from Cabelas (where I also have a couple gift cards from Christmas).

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:25 am

For those who like Cabelas (even now that Bass Pro is homogenizing them somewhat), there's a seller on eBay that frequently has gift cards available for 18 or 20% off. "svmgiftcards", and they currently have $100 cards for $80 including postage (limit 3). Sometimes they're $82 for a $100 card. They don't always have the discount cards, and when they do they tend to sell quickly, but saving 20% on many of the more expensive items there is pretty nice. I have not had any problems with a card from them, even kept for over a year. Satisfied customer, no other connection.

Last year I picked up my new good scope, paid with 20% off gift cards, and also used a rebate site called Active Junky which was offering 15% rebate at the time (normally hovers at 6-7%), plus a $15 off coupon (Bass Pro has since killed these off I understand). That takes some of the sting off of more expensive items.

Langenator
Loose Cannon

Postby Langenator » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:38 pm

skb12172 wrote:Now, they are paying the expected price.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/dicks- ... un-stance/

As Instapundit says, Get Woke, Go Broke.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:08 pm

Rich Jordan wrote:

When they were bought out, and the existing Galyans stores were rebranded, I noticed two things 1) the interior design was far nicer, and 2) they greatly reduced the amount of stuff they carried that i was interested in, and expanded the far more profitable/"cool" stuff like rock climbing gear.

It didnt matter to me at that point, because Cabelas opened in Hamburg by then.

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:36 am

We've had a Cabelas nearby for about 10 years now. Unfortunately its nearby. If it wasn't it might be outside the bounds of f*cking crook county and would therefore be a lot more useful. As it is you're stuck paying the county extortion on ammo and firearms on top of sales tax. They also reduced the size of the store a few years ago due to heavy taxes based on retail space; the second floor is now classrooms and displays. The guns/shooting section is still decent but only about 60% of its original size, and the used gun selection is downright pitiful compared to the store's early days.

But its still great to have. And still so much better than the pecker store...

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:00 pm

Hamburg is, iirc still the largest store they have. :mrgreen:

Return to “History and Current Events”