Deputy On Duty Didn't Engage Shooter

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Jered
Good Christ I Need A Life

Deputy On Duty Didn't Engage Shooter

Postby Jered » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:10 am

There was a cop on duty at the school. He was on the scene of the shooting in a couple of minutes. He did not engage the shooter.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Kommander
Active Shooter

Re: Deputy On Duty Didn't Engage Shooter

Postby Kommander » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:16 am

Well at least he resigned. It can be hard to tell what a person's reaction to this sort of thing will be before it actually happens, but it's still a total failure on his part and those that hired him.

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:21 am

There is a ton of legal precedent that the police have no duty to try to protect you. Sooooooo, it is your obligation to protect yourself.

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:33 am

He might want to consider relocating somewhere a bit more unknowing of his "exploits."

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:30 am

Consider this unverified; I was looking for confirmation but I won't have time to dig tonight.

If it is true, a very troubling situation in Broward County

https://twitter.com/TheLastRefuge2/stat ... 7744374784

Jered

Postby Jered » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:16 am

Rich Jordan wrote:Consider this unverified; I was looking for confirmation but I won't have time to dig tonight.

If it is true, a very troubling situation in Broward County

https://twitter.com/TheLastRefuge2/stat ... 7744374784

Jack Cashill covers it on The American Thinker.

scipioafricanus
Loose Cannon

Postby scipioafricanus » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:45 pm

This has got me really hot... so bear with me.

First, this garbage Sheriff wants to take away our AR15s, but his deputy failed to do his damn job during the shooting? (besides not doing anything 39 times they showed up this lil angel's home)

Second, since he has been forced to resign, I assume they aren't under the old doctrine of Virginia Tech: cordoning off the area, gather numbers, let people die for 2 hours before anything happens...

Third, if that is the case then this is an act of cowardice and should be treated as such. If LEO's love to have the "LEO/Military" comparison/culture, then this guy either gets a Court Martial or, at least, Article 13.

But how is a guy supposed to confront someone with an AR15...? If you want to put on a uniform, badge, and gun while thinking you are the equivalent of the military... I was taught to march toward the sound of the guns; MOVE!

On another note, can we stop high police officers wearing General stars?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka

Precision
Active Shooter

Postby Precision » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:15 pm

12-18 months before he eats his firearm.

Just goes to once again show that training is worthless if you are an unmotivated coward. James Yeager call your office.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/

Durham68
Loose Cannon

Postby Durham68 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:02 pm

Precision wrote:12-18 months before he eats his firearm.

That was my second thought after WTF.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:30 pm

scipioafricanus wrote:
On another note, can we stop high police officers wearing General stars?

This galls me to no end. More so than having Sergeants and Lieutenants as ranks, but I don't care for them either.

Like this asshat, or any other, is walking around thinking they are the equivalent or contemporary of Leahy, Nimitz, Halsey, Puller, Bradley, etc.

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:37 pm

It does not bother me because it is what I expect. Certainly there are plenty of brave police officers, that is not my point. The point is that nothing requires them to do anything brave. A police officer cannot be court marshaled and executed for cowardice in the face of the enemy at even a theoretical level. They are civilians who can quit any time they feel like it.

If something is not a job requirement, why be shocked when those doing the job do not meet the requirement?

It is just the latest data point to demonstrate that if you want to have your person protected, you better expect to do it yourself.

Rod
Active Shooter

Postby Rod » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:29 pm

scipioafricanus wrote:This has got me really hot... so bear with me.

First, this garbage Sheriff wants to take away our AR15s, but his deputy failed to do his damn job during the shooting? (besides not doing anything 39 times they showed up this lil angel's home)

Second, since he has been forced to resign, I assume they aren't under the old doctrine of Virginia Tech: cordoning off the area, gather numbers, let people die for 2 hours before anything happens...

He didn't resign, he turned in his retirement paperwork, THEN resigned.

But how is a guy supposed to confront someone with an AR15...? If you want to put on a uniform, badge, and gun while thinking you are the equivalent of the military... I was taught to march toward the sound of the guns; MOVE!
He was carrying an AR-15 also.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist

randy

Postby randy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:41 pm

It does bother me, because I cannot fathom any human, especially any man, not reacting when children are in danger, especially when you have the equipment and training to do something about it.

I know intellectually there are a lot of people that won't react that way, but I just don't "get it".

The coach that died protecting students "got it". This despicable individual, doesn't, at least not fully.

I guess it depends on whether he is ashamed of himself for failing in his duty as a human and as a citizen (in the Heinlein sense), and that's why he quit, or if he just understands the optics and political implications of the situation and decided to duck out of facing the consequences (again).

The knowledge that not all people will rise to the test does nothing to mitigate the disgust I feel towards people that don't even try.

But hey, he got to go home at the end of his shift! that's all that counts, right?

(the last is not aimed at you Vonz, just general frustration and disgust with that attitude from people over the years that affect military swagger but, as you are pointed out, are just another bunch of civilians)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:22 pm

randy wrote:
But hey, he got to go home at the end of his shift! that's all that counts, right?

I have heard cops say exactly that, I believe it is very much part of their culture in some areas or subsets.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:47 pm

I read elsewhere that the officer in question now has a protective detail assigned to watch his house. Hopefully if he decides to do the honorable thing, they won't try to interfere.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

scipioafricanus
Loose Cannon

Postby scipioafricanus » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:23 am

Rod wrote:
scipioafricanus wrote:This has got me really hot... so bear with me.

He didn't resign, he turned in his retirement paperwork, THEN resigned.

He was carrying an AR-15 also.

Great so Ossifer Coward will get his pension.

slowpoke
Trigger Junkie

Postby slowpoke » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:34 am

Latest on drudge was a total of three that waited outside instead of going in.
We need to remove the titles of nobility we bestow on these people.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop

skb12172

Postby skb12172 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:59 am

Looks like 4 hid and shit their pants.
https://nypost.com/2018/02/23/four-sher ... -shooting/
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:59 am

slowpoke wrote:Latest on drudge was a total of three that waited outside instead of going in.

Link?

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:04 am

Netpackrat wrote:
slowpoke wrote:Latest on drudge was a total of three that waited outside instead of going in.

Link?

Never mind, here:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/politics ... olitics=Tw

Jered

Postby Jered » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:04 am

This is why I have a paid up life insurance policy and workman's comp.

Kommander
Active Shooter

Postby Kommander » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:27 am

Can we start a Go Fund Me?

Durham68
Loose Cannon

Postby Durham68 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:16 am

Kommander wrote:

Can we start a Go Fund Me?

Is it wrong that I LOL’d at that?
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"

Cybrludite
Active Shooter

Postby Cybrludite » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:25 am

BrowardCoSO.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.

scipioafricanus
Loose Cannon

Postby scipioafricanus » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:18 pm

Netpackrat wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:

Link?

Never mind, here:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/politics ... olitics=Tw

The Sheriff knew his 4 cowards sat outside while blaming the NRA at the CNN meeting.

Langenator
Loose Cannon

Postby Langenator » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:53 pm

Anyone know if sheriffs can be recalled in FL?
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

randy

Postby randy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:27 pm

Just to play devil's advocate, I'm beginning to wonder if the Broward County SO has updated it's active shooter training since before Columbine? With up to 4 deputies so far reacting the same way, I have to wonder if they have an institutional problem in addition to individual issues.

I still have a major issue with the individual officers not moving to contact with children in danger, especially given I assume they had body armor, they certainly had handguns, and if they didn't have long guns of some sort in their vehicles, then Why TF not? They have still failed in their individual roles as citizens and human beings, but it's starting to look to me like they weren't given much direction from their department.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

skb12172

Postby skb12172 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:09 pm

That is all possible, Randy, even likely. The Sheriff is still a douchenozzle.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.

randy

Postby randy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:28 pm

skb12172 wrote:That is all possible, Randy, even likely. The Sheriff is still a douchenozzle.

Don't disagree. But if I'm going to condemn someone I want to do so accurately, and make sure I cover all of their failure points ,

Rod
Active Shooter

Postby Rod » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:54 pm

Can't find it now but there's a report floating around that's been verified by other sources that BCSO, Parkland PD, and the local school district colluded to not report misdemeanor and felony behavior in students of the district so the school district could get more money and some kind of award for excellence.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist

randy

Postby randy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:46 pm

skb12172 wrote:That is all possible, Randy, even likely. The Sheriff is still a douchenozzle.

Kevin over at the Smallest Minority raises the question Is Broward County a Smaller Version of Chicago?

Which would also tie in with Rod's post.

randy

Postby randy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:53 pm

Another good take here addressing that the cop "only" had a handgun against a sooper dooper AR-15 that makes the shooter invincible:

Mass shootings, good guys with guns, and the tactics of war

To me the most important takeaways:

#1: Do not hesitate. As soon as the shooting starts, run towards the sound of gunfire.

#2A. Shoot at that son-of-a-bitch. Shoot at him a lot. Most likely, he will kill himself as soon as rounds start coming his way. A dead shooter is a dead shooter, if the bullet that does it comes from a cop or his own gun, doesn’t matter. END THE FIGHT.

#2B. If he doesn’t kill himself right away, keep fucking shooting at him. The more distracted he is being shot at by police, the less focused he will be on killing innocents. Every second the shooter is taking cover from a cop is a second he is not shooting at kids. A cop carrying a modern double stack 9mm or 40 S&W has roughly 45 rounds on his body. ALL OF THEM should be on their way to the shooter as fast as possible.

I would simply change the words "cop" to "armed citizen" in most cases. I usually have 35-52 rounds on me (depending on carry rig, and thus number of mag pouches), so 45 is in the ball park

scipioafricanus
Loose Cannon

Postby scipioafricanus » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:26 am

When the JROTC kids show more heart than the LEOs...

scipioafricanus
Loose Cannon

Postby scipioafricanus » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:05 am

I also love the irony of the Sheriff Department guarding the house of the coward.

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:19 am

https://steadfastandloyal.com/unreal/tr ... ot-answer/

I hate to spread stuff that hasn't been conceived but somebody else brought it up
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!

Precision
Active Shooter

Postby Precision » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:21 am

randy wrote:Another good take here addressing that the cop "only" had a handgun against a sooper dooper AR-15 that makes the shooter invincible:

Mass shootings, good guys with guns, and the tactics of war

To me the most important takeaways:

#1: Do not hesitate. As soon as the shooting starts, run towards the sound of gunfire.

#2A. Shoot at that son-of-a-bitch. Shoot at him a lot. Most likely, he will kill himself as soon as rounds start coming his way. A dead shooter is a dead shooter, if the bullet that does it comes from a cop or his own gun, doesn’t matter. END THE FIGHT.

#2B. If he doesn’t kill himself right away, keep fucking shooting at him. The more distracted he is being shot at by police, the less focused he will be on killing innocents. Every second the shooter is taking cover from a cop is a second he is not shooting at kids. A cop carrying a modern double stack 9mm or 40 S&W has roughly 45 rounds on his body. ALL OF THEM should be on their way to the shooter as fast as possible.

I would simply change the words "cop" to "armed citizen" in most cases. I usually have 35-52 rounds on me (depending on carry rig, and thus number of mag pouches), so 45 is in the ball park

Yes, this.

My normal round count on me is 35. And usually another 34 in my bag. Then there is the vehicle gun...

He didn't need to walk in like Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris or Bruce Willis in a movie. Move towards the action and take action when you find the shooter. Even shooting into the ceiling from close by while behind cover would have been better and MIGHT have distracted the shooter / saved some lives.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:44 am

scipioafricanus wrote:I also love the irony of the Sheriff Department guarding the house of the coward.

They know if they leave it to the local cops like they did the building entry, it's likely to become an assisted suicide watch rather than a protective detail.

scipioafricanus
Loose Cannon

Postby scipioafricanus » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:05 pm

evan price wrote:https://steadfastandloyal.com/unreal/true-broward-fl-law-enforcement-lot-answer/

I hate to spread stuff that hasn't been conceived but somebody else brought it up

Not really surprised, but hope more people learn about it.

George guy
Loose Cannon

Postby George guy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:09 am

"AR-15s aren't going to protect you from the government"

"Can't blame the cop for being scared of an AR-15"

Pick one.
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:58 pm

Candyman
Loose Cannon

Postby Candyman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:25 pm

I guess you can say that I'm jumping into the fire.
Many of you know that I am a LEO.
First off I want to say, I do not condone the actions of the Deputy/ Deputies at the school. Was the first Deputy on seen at the school shooting in Florida a coward ? I would say yes. But one never knows how they will react until the moment arrives.
My Dept. active shooter policy is to make entry upon the second officer's arrival. We had a school shooting a few years ago and the first officer on seen was less then one min. and entry was made in 1 min and 10 sec.
I don't know how many of you have been in the military, or seen combat. I don't know if any of you are LEOs and had to respond to an active shooter call. Or if any of you have ever had to pull your CCW in a situation.
I have been in the military and seen combat. I have responded to a few active shooter calls as a LEO. I will tell you this, they are different.
No matter how brave you are, or think you are, you will never know how you will react until the moment arrives. When that moment does arrive, your actions will change your life forever.
The Deputy that has been labeled a coward has to live with the fact that he took no action and the life of 17 people are on his hands. Can he live with this, I don't know. But I do know brave men that fought bravely for this country that have committed suicide, and they were not cowards. I know LEOs that have put their lives on the line, been shot in the line of duty, but after doing such brave acts, turned in their badges.
Am I angry at the Deputy and his cowardly actions? No. I am ashamed of him.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:52 pm

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/artic ... 36368.html

Interesting counterpoint, it appears that the deputy in question may have been told to wait outside as he was in contact with his dispatch. Possibly true with the other deputies who responded as well. I think it is very interesting that the deputies all waited outside while the Coral Springs police showed up and apparently entered immediately. As was suggested above by someone else, this may be a training/tactics/policy issue as much as any specific failing in the officer in question. In the end, you do what you are trained to do 99% of the time. If you train people to run to the sound of gunfire, they will. If you train them to go to alert an man their fighting stations, that is what they will do. If you train them to set a perimeter and wait, that is what they will do.

Clearly this Sheriff is incompetent and his department is a mess no matter what the deputy did. He should resign. I level no specific charges against the deputies in question other than a very general WTF? In the end, the police did their job, they showed up after the fact, helped clean up the bodies and arrested the perp. Woo hoo. They have no duty to protect anyone, so why be surprised when they do not? http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/polit ... otect.html They do have a duty to investigate and make arrests when credible tips are provided that someone is planning a mass shooting, and that they did not do.

(Since it came up above, I am not an LEO, am former military, have been deployed and have been shot at a few times. I was also the CO of Navy security unit for a couple years and we did LEO functions too, but that was a rather different reality than civilian LEO so not apples/apples.)

scipioafricanus
Loose Cannon

Postby scipioafricanus » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:04 am

The big issue with the whole thing: Every level of Government failed and now they are blaming US! https://townhall.com/columnists/katiepa ... d-n2454214

Parkland was preventable, not through gun control but government competency or action. Government failed, repeatedly, to stop the massacre from occurring. It wasn’t the NRA that carried out the massacre, it was a young man who practically screamed to multiple government authorities about what he was going to do.
The civil liberties and rights of American citizens -- specifically gun owners -- are not a scapegoat for government failure. Period. Those making them the target, like Israel, instead of taking responsibility for negligence, should be shamed and exposed.

And they were hiding criminal activity to get more Fed money, just like with Trayvon Martin: https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... ounty.html

If only Coach Aaron Feis was allowed to carry while charging inside while Deputy Fife stared at the wall.

Termite
Probably Unemployed

Postby Termite » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:55 am

George guy wrote:"AR-15s aren't going to protect you from the government"

"Can't blame the cop for being scared of an AR-15"

Pick one.

What do you expect from a media that is this MASSIVELY ignorant about firearms in general:

https://youtu.be/6Y2aSiGBvao

Hat tip to Pawpaw, he found it first.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:49 am

scipioafricanus wrote:If only Coach Aaron Feis was allowed to carry while charging inside while Deputy Fife stared at the wall.

I think you are being unfair to Deputy Fife. Barney would have put his bullet into his gun and walked into that school.

scipioafricanus
Loose Cannon

Postby scipioafricanus » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:39 am

Netpackrat wrote:
scipioafricanus wrote:If only Coach Aaron Feis was allowed to carry while charging inside while Deputy Fife stared at the wall.

I think you are being unfair to Deputy Fife. Barney would have put his bullet into his gun and walked into that school.

Apologies to Barney

Termite
Probably Unemployed

Postby Termite » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Candyman wrote:Am I angry at the Deputy and his cowardly actions? No. I am ashamed of him.

Lawdog thinks the honorable thing for this SRO is Seppuku.

And -- quite frankly -- if you wear a badge, and you hide behind a car while children under your protection are getting killed, you should have the common [deleted] decency to take your sidearm, find a quiet country road somewhere, and Do The Proper Thing.

LINK
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."

Langenator
Loose Cannon

Postby Langenator » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:14 pm

The sheriff of Denton County (TX) agrees.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/ ... r-the-win/
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

D5CAV
Trigger Junkie

Postby D5CAV » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:55 am

Vonz90 wrote: ... In the end, the police did their job, they showed up after the fact, helped clean up the bodies and arrested the perp. Woo hoo. They have no duty to protect anyone, so why be surprised when they do not? http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/polit ... otect.html They do have a duty to investigate and make arrests when credible tips are provided that someone is planning a mass shooting, and that they did not do.

Bingo! We have a winner!

There are Supreme Court rulings that have clarified exactly what Vonz said - po-po have no legal duty to protect anyone.

Besides, why are we dumping on Barney Fife Scot Peterson of Broward County anyway? It's not like the did anything more or less than po-po at any other shooting.

Some recent examples:
1. Orlando Nightclub - po-po were at the door of the nightclub when shooting started. They waited for "backup", a SWAT MRAP to crash down the door 3 hours later. Broward County response is lightning fast in comparison

2. Aurora Colorado Batman movie - off-duty po-po were moonlighting at the door manning the metal detectors at the only "gun free" movie theater in a 20 mile radius. Colorado is a "shall issue" state, but anyone who forgot it was "gun free zone" were told by armed security (off duty po-po) to go put their hardware back in their cars. Once shooting started, po-po realized their level 3 vests and off-duty sidearms were no match for a rifle and waited for Aurora SWAT to show up. This time, SWAT got there in less than 30 minutes - much better than Orlando.

Besides, there were so many other screw-ups from people much higher up (and better paid) than Barney, from the FBI, to Broward County Sheriff, to Broward County HHS, to Broward County School, etc., why does he have to be the scapegoat?

Oh yeah - to divert attention from all of the above...
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:24 am

Vonz90
Active Shooter

Postby Vonz90 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:01 pm

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/ ... de-school/

Shocker, the radio transcripts contradict the public response.

D5CAV
Trigger Junkie

Postby D5CAV » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:56 pm

It gets better: https://nypost.com/2018/03/08/swat-memb ... -massacre/

SWAT officers who took the initiative to deal with school shooter without orders are suspended.

Lessons learned:
1. Being a hero can get you killed
2. Being a hero can get you fired
3. Taking cover and waiting for instructions - keep your job and retire with full pension and benefits

So, why are we dumping on Barney Fife Scot Peterson?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

randy

Postby randy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:00 pm

D5CAV wrote:It gets better: https://nypost.com/2018/03/08/swat-memb ... -massacre/

SWAT officers who took the initiative to deal with school shooter without orders are suspended.

I could understand a write up or a warning for failure notify their supervisor or dispatch they were responding. Responders should make some effort to not add to the chaos and confusion of the first minutes of any type of incident.

Supervisors need to know where their people are in case something else pops, or it turns out this call was a diversion or part of a coordinated series of attacks (such as in Mumbai). It would also help minimize Blue on Blue situations

But unless these officers have a history of freelancing and not keeping their bosses in the loop, this does seem excessive.

scipioafricanus
Loose Cannon

Postby scipioafricanus » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:55 am

D5CAV wrote:So, why are we dumping on Barney Fife Scot Peterson?

Well he is a coward and now a confirmed liar.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:55 am

I was reading about that earlier, and it sounded like the officers in question didn't lose their jobs, they were just suspended from the SWAT team.

Windy Wilson
Active Shooter

Postby Windy Wilson » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:12 pm

Rod wrote:Can't find it now but there's a report floating around that's been verified by other sources that BCSO, Parkland PD, and the local school district colluded to not report misdemeanor and felony behavior in students of the district so the school district could get more money and some kind of award for excellence.

This is getting a lot of radio airplay, it was a program and policy initiated in the last 8 years to reduce the "School to Prison Pipeline" that supposedly exists, so if there was a way to avoid criminalizing criminal behavior by minors it was done.
The people who saw to it that this scum would have a clean background check are blaming the NRA. Why not the ACLU, too, since they have an even broader interpretation of the First Amendment than the NRA has of the Second? Speech is what the NRA used to permit this gun to be available to the scumbag.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy

scipioafricanus
Loose Cannon

Postby scipioafricanus » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:38 am

More reasons to blame the NRA... https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2018/03/1 ... sletterad=

However, it seems that not only did officers fail to enter the school when they arrived, thus potentially resulting in more deaths, but they violated their own policy in the process.

Langenator
Loose Cannon

Postby Langenator » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:18 am

And still more reason:

School And Mental Health Officials Knew For Eighteen Months That Cruz Was Dangerous

Actually, if you read the article, it says that they recommended he be placed in a residential treatment facility in 2013.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

D5CAV
Trigger Junkie

Postby D5CAV » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:35 am

This story just keeps getting better.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03- ... c-facility

It turns out that the po-po who recommended that Cruz be involuntarily committed to a psychiatric facility was none other than (drum roll please)
the much-vilified Barney Fife Scot Peterson

A psychological assessment service initiated by Cruz's mother, Henderson Behavioral Health (HBH), show high school resource officer and Sheriff's deputy Scot Peterson along with two high school counselers recommending that Cruz be committed for mental evaluation under Florida's Baker Act - which allows for the involuntary commitment of a person for at least three days.

Obviously, someone higher-up than Barney countermanded that recommendation, probably for political reasons, as highlighted earlier by Rich and Jered: https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... lives.html

I'm waiting for some MSM reporter (if any real reporters still exist) to find out which senior official in the Broward County Sheriff's office or Broward County School District was responsible and write an editorial apologizing to gun owners and the NRA (sound of crickets chirping).

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:04 am

There is some logic to being unwilling to deal with a problem at the risk of your own life, when you tried to deal with it earlier and were overruled by people who are now conspicuously absent.

Jered

Postby Jered » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:51 am

D5CAV wrote:This story just keeps getting better.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03- ... c-facility

It turns out that the po-po who recommended that Cruz be involuntarily committed to a psychiatric facility was none other than (drum roll please)
the much-vilified Barney Fife Scot Peterson

A psychological assessment service initiated by Cruz's mother, Henderson Behavioral Health (HBH), show high school resource officer and Sheriff's deputy Scot Peterson along with two high school counselers recommending that Cruz be committed for mental evaluation under Florida's Baker Act - which allows for the involuntary commitment of a person for at least three days.

Obviously, someone higher-up than Barney countermanded that recommendation, probably for political reasons, as highlighted earlier by Rich and Jered: https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... lives.html

I'm waiting for some MSM reporter (if any real reporters still exist) to find out which senior official in the Broward County Sheriff's office or Broward County School District was responsible and write an editorial apologizing to gun owners and the NRA (sound of crickets chirping).

I've seen the Jack Cashill article.

That decriminalization stuff is what happened in the Trayvon Martin case and probably what directly led to his death.

That's progressivism for you, though. They completely screwed the pooch on this feral miscreat, but rather than look at their policies and wonder where or how they went wrong, they're blaming everyone but themselves.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:34 am

I posted this to another forum, and a doctor there who used to work in Florida said that under the Baker Act in FL, the deputy's signature on the form would have been sufficient on it's own to commit the kid for eval for at least 72 hours. Further, the only person who could have countermanded that, is the physician at the "psychiatric receiving facility" where he would have taken the kid. Would have, that is, if Deputy Peterson weren't a lying sack of shit who is trying to deflect blame from himself. In other words, the article above is bullshit.

D5CAV
Trigger Junkie

Postby D5CAV » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:47 pm

How it's supposed to be done.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03- ... ool-gunman

Which is why it won't be newsworthy.

Hey kids (who walked out to protest guns), I bet you're happy today that the SRO had a gun in your "gun free school", and happened to be nearby.

Jered

Postby Jered » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:17 am

Netpackrat wrote:I posted this to another forum, and a doctor there who used to work in Florida said that under the Baker Act in FL, the deputy's signature on the form would have been sufficient on it's own to commit the kid for eval for at least 72 hours. Further, the only person who could have countermanded that, is the physician at the "psychiatric receiving facility" where he would have taken the kid. Would have, that is, if Deputy Peterson weren't a lying sack of shit who is trying to deflect blame from himself. In other words, the article above is bullshit.

I found what appears to be the Florida Baker Act forms.

It's a CF-MH 3052A.

So, the doctor on that other forum is most likely correct.

However, that isn't to say that the sheriff's office could have enacted a policy that's more restrictive than state law with regards to committing someone pursuant to the Baker Act and required a sign off by the sheriff or one of the senior managers at the department. Had he felt strongly about the sack of shit, Peterson probably could have committed him anyway, in violation of the policy.

...in which case, he's an amoral sack of shit trying to deflect blame from himself.

Jered

Postby Jered » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:50 am

Jered

Postby Jered » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:41 am

...and...it looks like Gloria Allred is involved with the family that took this feral little shit in.

Rocxanne Deschamps spoke at a news conference in New York City with her lawyer, Gloria Allred, marking the first time she publicly discussed what was happening at her home near Lantana when Nikolas and his brother Zachary lived with her and her family.

scipioafricanus
Loose Cannon

Postby scipioafricanus » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:37 am

So FBI was called twice (did nothing), local cops showed up to the lil angel's house 69 times, and now the school district didn't spend 100 million dollars allocated for security. https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/04 ... ard-meets/

http://thehill.com/opinion/education/38 ... ool-safety

But it is the NRA's fault.

g-man
Trigger Junkie

Postby g-man » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:56 am

So, quick napkin math:
$104.3m available
327 schools in the district
~$319k PER SCHOOL specifically earmarked for safety measure improvements.

Ah'm not a smart man, but I'm pretty sure that would have covered most if not all of the entry control measures required to improve school security there.

But it's the NRA's fault.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Return to “Politics, Law, and Justice”