Rumpshots Revenge IV

Announcements for your geographic region, or province.
Rumpshot

Re: Rumpshots Revenge IV

Post by Rumpshot »

Time to bump this back up to active status. October 17 & 18, 2009. There is a PDF map posted earlier in this thread.

The time is growing near. New location this year, about 2 miles further north. Still easy to get to with just about any vehicle you choose to bring. The road is rural primitive, slow is the way to go. There are rocks that stick up and can be driven around, no potholes, a motorhome or low slung car will make the trip, just go slow.

Join me for a couple days of fun and friendship. Many NoR and The Gun Counter members will be in attendance, with the notable exception of Rod. Rod thinks a reunion with people he hasn't seen in 40 years is more important. Don't know if there will be enough guns with Rod not there. :lol:

For those that are not aware, Rumpshot's Revenge is an annual gathering north of Paulden, AZ. Camping is available, free of charge, it is on the Prescott National Forest. I will start setting up on Friday, you are welcome to join me. There is no fee for attending the event. There will be a Porta-Jon on site that I will rent and pass the hat to pay for. Flintlock Tom covered the Porta-Jon last year and it was greatly appreciated. Thank you Tom.

Shooting of all kinds will take place. Safety is the PRIME consideration. I will have metal targets set at various ranges. Some of them are armor plate and will stand up to severe abuse, most are not. I would appreciate not having any new holes in my metal plates. We have had metal targets set as far as 225 yards in the past. This year will need some enthusiam to get targets set that far back. Vehicles will not traverse the canyon wall to move targets out and back. I have several target frames for paper targets too. Also I have lots of "campaign poster" type target frames too. Bring your paper targets and we will have some way to post them.

Rifles, shotguns, pistols, centerfire, rimfire, percussion, flintlock, matchlock, wheellock, all are welcome.

I have a "slingshot" type clay thrower and a standard clay thrower. Lots of shotgun opportunities.

As you arrive in the area you will find signs directing you to the site from the corner of Big Chino Road and Feather Mountain road. Don't turn off Feather Mountain until you see the sign to direct you to the 2 track dirt road. Continue to follow the signs.

As you arrive at the site, the canyon wall on the east side (right side) will be the backstop for rifle and pistol shooting. Just to the left of the road will be ample parking and camping. Ahead and to the left, or further left will be shotgun land (shooting northwest).

Last year we adjourned to my house for dinner after Saturday's shooting. I was trying to accomplish two things. One to encourage some time of relaxed friendship and fellowship after the day's shooting. And to allow those camping some time to relax and not have to cobble together a meal after the others had left the site. My lovely wife and the neighbor lady made a delicious Chicken Tortilla Soup, we had Subway sandwiches, and Cheesecake for desert. BYOB was the order of the day for beverages, Iced Tea, Lemonade, and water were available. I would like input on if you all would like to do this again. If so, I will have a large tent set up at the site where we could do it, onsite. Or we have no problem hosting a group at the house again.

Lastly, camping is free, but primitive. The elevation is about 4700-4800 feet and nights can be quite cool. Days Inn has just opened up in Chino Valley. It is about an 18 mile drive to and from the site to the Days Inn. There are several other places to stay in Chino Valley or you can drive the 15-20 miles further to Prescott or Prescott Valley. If you want to go the other way it is about 30 miles to Ashfork.

Please post your questions or comments.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

workinwifdakids wrote:10/17-10/18 would be fabulous for me! The only thing that kept me away last year was the date... 11/6-8 is my annual [strike]men's retreat[/strike] drunken melee.

Having not attended before, can you tell us specifically what the accommodations are and what we can expect for activities, and so forth? Are we to cook for ourselves, or send money for food?
Workin, looking forward to seeing you here. Accomodations are listed above. You can throw out a bedroll on the ground or drive to a motel, your choice. Google accomodations around zip code 86334 for options. Or just plan to camp out.

Meals again optional, some of us could miss the whole weekend and it would be a good thing. Talking about me that is. :lol: Throw your opinion in the hat and we will discuss feeding.

Activities are free form. Safety first, then fun. Shoot what you like, pretty much when you like. Socializing is scheduled from beginning to end, non-stop.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Friday help would be appreciated. There is a DEAD camper (wood framed pickup type, not human) a little further in than we will be located. I would like to clean it up and make a firewood pile from the burnable parts and haul out the rest. Make a good impression on the Ranger.

Also will need to survey and construct the shooting lines. There are lots of dead standing wood that should end up in the firewood pile.

A bunch of steel targets that will need to be humped up the side of the canyon wall. Great exercise for a bunch of teenagers. Unfortunately most of it will be done by folks closer to the high side of 50. I have some PVC pipe I like to plant to hold target frames. Maybe this time we can plant them and leave them.

Volunteers?
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Rumpshot I might be able to help, but it depends on my sleep schedule and whatnot as I work nights.
Precision

Post by Precision »

If I had any way to get out there I would. And I like doing that kind of volunteer work. Oh well too far for me this year.

But if you wouldn't mind PMing me. I am trying to set one up for Feb on the East Coast and wouldn't mind learning from your experience.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
JohnOC

Post by JohnOC »

Rumpshot wrote: Last year we adjourned to my house for dinner after Saturday's shooting. I was trying to accomplish two things. One to encourage some time of relaxed friendship and fellowship after the day's shooting. And to allow those camping some time to relax and not have to cobble together a meal after the others had left the site. My lovely wife and the neighbor lady made a delicious Chicken Tortilla Soup, we had Subway sandwiches, and Cheesecake for desert. BYOB was the order of the day for beverages, Iced Tea, Lemonade, and water were available. I would like input on if you all would like to do this again. If so, I will have a large tent set up at the site where we could do it, onsite. Or we have no problem hosting a group at the house again.
I vote for yes. I thought the group dinner and socialize went very well, and was a nice addition to the social calendar of the weekend. Plus the soup was really good :D.

The Days Inn website for the Chino Valley location.
The government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have. – Thomas Jefferson
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Precision, email inbound.

JohnOC, thanks for posting the link to Days Inn.

Kommander, Looking forward to you showing up and lending a hand. Don't forget to bring the "new" ammo boxes. :D
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
AZMARK

Post by AZMARK »

I should also be able to show up Fri. and help with the set up. And I'll also vote yes for dinner, good food, good company can't go wrong.
My favorite story of his ended with "...and so he went out the back door in his bathrobe, flipped the AK to 'Afrikaner', and started hosing the baboons off his tennis court." - Tam
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

Thanks for the link to the Days Inn. That may just tip the scales in favor of Virginia coming along.
I'm really looking forward to it.
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Spoke with the Mrs. about the dinner. She is more than happy to host again. She commented that she was not overly fond of the Subway Sandwiches (She likes Subway sandwiches, just not the pre-built, put your own condiments on). Nor did She want to make bread sandwiches ahead of time. The Soup is probably a go again.

Would you guys want to make your own sandwiches, buffet line style, or how would Soup and Salad go over?
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona