Recommendation on rifle

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Dedicated_Dad

Re: Recommendation on rifle

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

Netpackrat wrote:I wish people would post this stuff in the regular gun forum, since I hardly ever check this one....
Just below the "title" bar is a link - "View active topics"

Click that and you'll see every active thread on the whole site - with the most recent posts at the top - no need to go forum-by-forum...!

Hope this helps!!

DD
workinwifdakids wrote:MV Gun Counter: "We're like Blackwater, except without the impulse control."
Random Internet Moron wrote: "High Caliber Magazine Clips are only useful for random slaughter of innocent civilians, so they should only be used by the police."
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Rich Jordan wrote:
Darrell wrote:ETA2: I posted on RGuns out of Illinois recently, they do show several models of DPMS ARs in stock, and at surprisingly low prices. They show the Sportical as the "A3 Sport Tactical", $629.

http://www.rguns.net/rifles/rifles-semi ... -556.shtml

Caveat emptor, I've read bad things about RGuns, but who knows? They're the guys I wrote about having the reasonably priced IMI ammo in several flavors.
RGuns gets a lot of grief for slow delivery and poor customer service. The IMI ammo has been getting horrendous reviews on arfcom; way too many rejects due to corrosion and damage. The other surplus ammo they list is reportedly good stuff though.
Yeah, I forgot to post about that--I saw a write up and photo at arfcom or somewhere, showing the IMI .223, IIRC. The stuff was in terrible conditin.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
FastRope71

Post by FastRope71 »

Groover,
For us to really be able to help you decide, we need to have some idea of what you expect to encounter in a SHTF sort of environment. IS your Area wide open, urban, rural, wooded, high country, etc?

Do you picture yourself laying out a high volume of fire, or can a ten rd mag suffice for your expected encounters. Do you need to be able to carry the gun for long distances?

Is your plan more along the lines of bugging in or bugging out?

Is this going to be a trunk gun or a safe/range princess?

These things can help us use our experience in weighing the pros and cons of various platforms agains your request for frugality.

Does your <$1000 price tag need to include ammunition or are you considering that as a separate purchase. How much ammo do you wish to acquire immediately and in the near future?

Help us help you.
If you are unwilling to give another man freedom in his life, do not expect to have it in your own.
It surely beats trying to figure out what the metrosexuals want ( a good hard kick in the nuts in my opinion, but that won't sell ice cream :D )- Highspeed
BadgerAZ

Post by BadgerAZ »

Groover,

Another rifle to consider is the Ruger Mini, either in .223 (Mini-14) or 7.62x39 (Mini-Thirty). The Ruger Minis are less money than an AR, a bit less accurate but more reliable. A real plus on the Minis is that they look like normal everyday small rifles (many of the uninformed think they're .22s), in contrast with the ARs, which virtually scream "ASSAULT RIFLE!" That dramatic difference in appearance can have very significant social and potentially legal consequences, depending on location and context.

I have a very old Mini-14 .223, a newer Mini-Thirty, and an AR-15 (actually an M4 semi-auto).

The AR/M4 is uncannily accurate, as accurate as a good bolt rifle, but that's not unusual for a good AR/M4. The action does get dirty very quickly from gas blown back into the action, and when it gets dirty it can be unreliable. It just needs frequent cleaning and lubing, but I can't say it's functioned flawlessly.

The Mini-14 in .223 has been with me since the early 1980s. In all that time it has functioned flawlessly with only occasional maintenance, but its accuracy is less than wonderful -- 3- to 4-inch groups at 100 yards with good surplus ammo is the norm. But it's extremely rugged and has never failed to go bang! when I've pulled the trigger, and to me that puts it high on the totem of firearms.

The Mini-Thirty in 7.62x39 Russian (AK-47 ammo) is in stainless and relatively new. I don't have the long experience with it that I do with the Mini-14, but so far it's been totally reliable. I've not done enough accuracy testing to say anything for sure about it yet.

All three of these rifles have lousy triggers, with the AR perhaps the worst of the three by a small margin. There are excellent aftermarket triggers available for the AR. In fact the huge aftermarket for ARs is one of its greatest advantages of the AR. There are aftermarket parts to allow your AR to do anything you can reasonably expect of an AR platform, and a few that are probably unreasonable (such as converting it to be a crossbow -- no kidding). There's some aftermarket support for Mini accessories and upgrades, but not nearly as many as with the AR.

Were I interested in an urban defensive rifle, I'd go with the Mini-Thirty because of its more effective caliber. The more inocuous appearance of the Minis would be a big plus in an urban environment as well. For more rural or open-range use, the flatter trajectory and greater accuracy of the AR would win the day for me.

Both Minis and ARs are also available in 6.5mm (.270 caliber), which is generally considered more effective than the .223 while still having the very mild recoil. (That includes the 7.62x39 Mini-Thirty, which in the Mini-Thirty still has very mild recoil.)

I hope that helps.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Good luck with mags for the mini 30 though. All the high cap ones I bought sucked.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

Hey, Groover! Welcome to our humble home. Hope you stick around.

While it's true you could've had better deals earlier, hell - when in life is that NOT the case? You'll have to look a bit harder for deals, but they are around.

You can get a VERY decent brand new AR-15 (probably Stag, or CMMG) with a half-dozen nice magazines for well under $1,000. For ammunition, you're on your own (as is the rest of the civilized world), but there's the deal. The Mini-14 would rock your world for less than $700 used, which I'd pick up in a heartbeat. What about the Saiga in 7.62x39? They're not bad, I just don't like the fit to my body. Hmmm...

Yeah, I think DD is right: tell us what your layout is, and what your plans are, so we can get specific for you. We'll even link you to some good places to buy.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
BadgerAZ

Post by BadgerAZ »

CombatController wrote:Good luck with mags for the mini 30 though. All the high cap ones I bought sucked.
I've had problems with an aftermarket 40-round mag for the Mini-Thirty, but the factory mags have all functioned fine. Unfortunately Ruger used to refuse to sell any hi-cap mags (> 10 rds) to mere lowly civilians. But I believe I read recently that practice is changing and even mere mortals can now buy Ruger factory hi-caps.

I do have a number of 20-round factory hi-caps for my ~1980 .223 Mini-14. None of those have ever given me any problems despite half of them being kept loaded at any given time (for years on end, sometimes).
Bob K

Post by Bob K »

Don't disagree with any of the previous posts.

But. if you're really on the cheap, look at an SKS. Fires 7.62x39. Loads from a 10 round stripper clip into the integral box magazine. With a little practice, this can be done quite quickly.

I bought mine new some 30+ years ago. In all these years, it has never failed to go boom. The trigger was gritty at first, but smoothed out beautifully after a hundred rounds.

It's Chinese, appears to be milspec, and has the handy, folding, cruciform bayonet. It's amusing how that bayo commands attention.
"Youth and skill are no match for age and treachery." Unknown

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

"Oderint dum metuant." ("Let them hate, so long as they fear.") Accius
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Didn't Ruger recently start making 20 rounders?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

I hear good things about Del-ton ARs and it seems like prices for them are back to normal. They can be had on Gunbroker for under $750.

And +1000 to getting a .22 rifle from the start. Conversion kit or seperate rifle...doesn't matter. Just get one.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"