Rumpshots Revenge IV

Announcements for your geographic region, or province.
Rumpshot

Re: Rumpshots Revenge IV

Post by Rumpshot »

308Mike wrote:
Rumpshot wrote:Looking at Oct 17-18, 2009 this year.

Attached PDF shows the location and GPS coordinates. Not far from the old site, but this site is Ranger Approved.
RR IV 2.pdf
That looks like the site we moved to last time, after the dumb hiker came up over the ridge to see who was doing all the shooting after hearing bullets whiz by - then complained he couldn't hike where we were shooting.
This is the site the ranger pointed us to. I have been back several times and it looks better and better each time. We will have several lanes of fire into the canyon wall. I think we will be able to relocate some of the dead trees into a firewood pile. The west side of the dirt track into the site will make a great camping area, well sheltered from the wind. And the west side will also make a nice shotgun range too.

I missed the hiker. Did he show up while I was out scouting with the ranger? Did he come up and over the "back stop"???
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Rumpshot wrote:I missed the hiker. Did he show up while I was out scouting with the ranger? Did he come up and over the "back stop"???
AFAICR, the ranger said the person who complained was a hiker who was hiking along the road that came down the left end of the backstop. He was coming over from the homes side of the hill, and when he was near the top, he *supposedly heard* ricochets going over his head and it *REALLY SCARED* him. Of course, there was no explanation as to WHY he would continue hiking towards the sound of ricocheting bullets.

All the same, even though we don't have the same range distance (DAMN!), I feel *MUCH* better about any skipped or ricochet rounds not heading over the top of the hill towards your and your neighbor's houses. I know I winced a couple of times when I saw rounds skip up the hill from rock strikes down low, so perhaps moving is a GOOD thing.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

10/17-10/18 would be fabulous for me! The only thing that kept me away last year was the date... 11/6-8 is my annual [strike]men's retreat[/strike] drunken melee.

Having not attended before, can you tell us specifically what the accommodations are and what we can expect for activities, and so forth? Are we to cook for ourselves, or send money for food?
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Can't remember the name, but there is a NEW motel in Chino Valley, about 18 miles from the range. There are a couple other places in Chino Valley (86323 zipcode) to stay. Prescott is about another 15 miles down the road. Lots of lodging in Prescott.

Meals are on you. I will probably have some sort of buffet on Sat evening like last year. Details to follow. We had Tortilla Soup and Subway Sandwiches, there was Cheesecake for desert. I asked for a $10.00/head donation. The neighbor lady made the soup, mostly gratis.

I plan on putting up my big Marquis tent at the site. It measures 14' X 20'. 11' to the ridgepole. We can get out of the sun during the day. Use it for the camp kitchen and serving area and folks can sleep inside at night. Temperatures can be in the 90's during the day and down into the 20's at night. Temperatures should be in the mid 70's during the day and mid 40's at night.

The site is in the Prescott National Forest and you can camp there. If you bring in a motorhome like 308Mike, you will be all set. Otherwise it is primitive camping. Will arrange to have a porta-jon brought in and pass the hat to pay for it. If you plan on camping, don't bother to carry water. Bring the water barrel to my house and fill it with some of the best drinking water in Arizona.

This is a very formal event, black tie..... Oh, wait, that was Kim's thing.

RRIV will be as laid back as the previous three. Bring what you want to shoot and plenty of ammo. There will be target frames for paper targets. There will be short and long range metal targets of various sizes and composition. Some of the metal targets will stand up to high power rifles and some are good for pistol ball ammo. I have a clay pigeon thrower and cases of clay pigeons. I have an archery target and if there is interest, I can have a short archery trailwalk put together. The safety of all is imperative. Firing line safety will be strictly adhered to, other wise act like a responsible adult.

Shooting starts when we get around to it. Usually sometime around 9 and ends when we are through for the day or it gets too dark to shoot safely.

We have had reactive targets in the past. I don't think that the friendly ranger will approve of tannerite or sureshot targets. I will find out. I do have big sidewalk chalk pieces for less spectacular reactive targets. One of the gun blogger sites recommended Cue Chalk squares.

I spoke with the LT from Yavapai County Sherriff's Office for this area (he should be in attendance as a participant!!!) and asked about the .50 BMG. He looked at me kinda sideways and said, "You do realize this is Arizona, don't you?" In other words he doesn't expect it to be a problem. Now to get back in touch with my friend from Gunsite and make sure we have it reserved. Y'all gotta bring your own fodder for that one. Last I checked (just now) J&G Sales has French Surplus .50 BMGin 10 round lots for $35.00-$40.00. That seems to be a little cheaper than I remember.

I will be taking Friday off from work to start the setup. Everyone is welcome to come early and stay late for setup and teardown.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Rod

Post by Rod »

Sadly the Mrs. and I have to drop out of this year's soiree. I've been reconnected with men from my company in Vietnam in 1968 and we're having a reunion that weekend in St. Louis. Sometimes you have to make some really hard decisions.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Dang Rod. Was looking forward to a whole new arsenal of weapons to try out.

Will visit with you in August.

Rumpshot
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

Count me in.
Oct. 17/18 seems fine from this far out, and I'll pencil it in on my calender.
Since it's a national forest how much brush clearing are we allowed to do? I was also thinking of, maybe, bringing some lumber to building a foot bridge across the gully that cuts the range in half. Do you think the ranger would frown on "improvements"?
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

I need to contact Ranger Friendly and find out about removing, "down, dead" trees.

I don't really believe you want to bring enough lumber to cross the TWO channels that run along the face of the bluff. I expect to have 3 people involved in moving heavy stuff across. One on each side and one in the bottom. Hand down, walk across, hand up. I hope to have more steel clanger targets on hand so less walking to check targets. Will try to have shorter range setup for paper targets or more target frames so that more targets can be posted at a time.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Flintlock Tom wrote:Count me in.
Oct. 17/18 seems fine from this far out, and I'll pencil it in on my calender.
Since it's a national forest how much brush clearing are we allowed to do? I was also thinking of, maybe, bringing some lumber to building a foot bridge across the gully that cuts the range in half. Do you think the ranger would frown on "improvements"?
The ranger is likely to say he can't say anything one way or another as long as it's not "damaging" the area. He's also not likely to approve "improvements" due to liability concerns, but if they happen and are well constructed, he's likely to not have a problem with them since Public Safety is mostly what he's after. He might document them in case later rangers come across them and make inquiries, but since they're so far off the beaten path, I'd say it's pretty remote that someone would complain (but I've seen and heard more incredibly stupid things before).
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
oilcrash

Post by oilcrash »

Will be returning from Iraq too late to register for fall classes, so, if the boss at work approves of me taking a few days that I technically do have in October, I'll see about getting my butt out there.