Home/self defense guns for waifs?

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Re: Home/self defense guns for waifs?

Post by Combat Controller »

The former Miss CC has a CZ-50 she rather likes. Plus a .22 mag bulldog pug.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
fast richard

Post by fast richard »

Don't assume that small stature requires small guns. I once had a coworker whose wife had grown up in a village in Vietnam. She was about 4' 10" tall, very slender, and had a strong preference for the M1 Garand over the M1 Carbine, the M16, or the AK.

Start any beginer with something easy to shoot, but encourage them try larger guns as they become comfortable.
toad

Post by toad »

Well I have had several conversations lately with people about the suitable load for a home defense shot gun. One who was a doc at a Detroit emergency room said that across the room distances bird shot works well and is very nasty. The group is small, the small pellets penetrate deeper than you think and it is hard to treat. When they got a guy who had been bird shotted all they could do was treat the obvious spurting bleeders. Then they would have to wait to see if he would make it. It seems even with X-rays you'll do more damage trying to dig out all the small shot rather than waiting to see if the guy is going to make it. I met a guy at my renewal class who uses #9 bird shot. He said that up to 15 feet heavy clothing and a leather jacket won't help you. Your mileage may vary on that last one.
If i was me I'd go for the largest bird shot that I could find for 20 gage and then go see what it did to milk jugs wrapped in heavy cloth and filled with Jello.
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Being a Southie considerations of the Browning BPS or the Ithaca Model 37 should be included as both have a downward ejection and won't shoot husks past the shooter's eyes...

Loads of #BB and #4 buck are available for the 20 bore...Remember that you have half the space of a 12 bore so half the number of pellets...reducing buck or using the heaviest bird would be preferable to the biggest buck and smallest bird as you also have nearly half the powder charge so a 12 bore load of 3" mag #9 will go through a leather jacket at 4 yards (across a room) what will happen to the load at 10 yards...

For a pistol, it's whatever she feels comfortable with and fits her hand...
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Bird shot is for birds. Further, in a home defense load, someone shot with a shotgun should not be requiring treatment in a hospital, or anywhere else. I am afraid your statement contains the fatal flaw right there....
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
cu74

Post by cu74 »

CombatController wrote:Bird shot is for birds. Further, in a home defense load, someone shot with a shotgun should not be requiring treatment in a hospital, or anywhere else. I am afraid your statement contains the fatal flaw right there....
I can sure agree with that. If some dude(s) come through the alarm systems and past the dog to threaten the wife or me, our plans definitely do not include EMS for the perp(s). I consider #4 buck the minimum load for the 12 gauge that resides in the corner of our bedroom.
Jim Dozier - Straight, but not narrow...
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.” - Rudyard Kipling.
Dedicated_Dad

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

Netpackrat wrote:A skirt and a P3AT in a thigh holster? :mrgreen:...
Yeah, but what's SHE going to carry? :lol: :?

DD
workinwifdakids wrote:MV Gun Counter: "We're like Blackwater, except without the impulse control."
Random Internet Moron wrote: "High Caliber Magazine Clips are only useful for random slaughter of innocent civilians, so they should only be used by the police."
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote:P.S. Almost forgot:

Amateur.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Jered

Re: Phear da' waifs!

Post by Jered »

Cybrludite wrote: And here she is with the 686, loaded with light .38 Special target loads. That's her fiancé in the background developing a corprophagic grin with my M1911A1.

In this picture, it looks like she's bringing her head down to the weapon, instead of bringing the weapon up.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

Consult the Box o' Truth.

Bird shot, not for me.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.