Home/self defense guns for waifs?

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
arctictom

Re: Home/self defense guns for waifs?

Post by arctictom »

Cybrludite wrote:
arctictom wrote:
Cybrludite wrote:Only hang-up is my handguns (except for the Kel-Tec) have all been bought over the years with my hands in mind, and I'm built like an Ogre.

Are you green and smell bad ?
Nope. 30 meters long, and made of biphase carbide... :twisted:
So this revolver must be yours,
http://securityarms.com/20010315/galler ... 0/3072.htm .
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Cybrludite

Phear da' waifs!

Post by Cybrludite »

Her favorite of the centerfire rifles...

And here she is with the 686, loaded with light .38 Special target loads. That's her fiancé in the background developing a corprophagic grin with my M1911A1.

Teh interwebs seem to have to have eaten the pic of her with the AR-15. I'll add it here once Photobucket admits to having it.

Ah, that's where the Round Tuit was hiding... Here's the AR pic.

Last edited by Cybrludite on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

The fact that she's a southpaw makes an even better case for the Mossy 20 ga., since the safety is ambidexterous (it's mounted on the tang, where shotgun safeties are supposed to be!).

It's also going to complicate finding a semi-auto handgun for her.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
ButchS1066

Post by ButchS1066 »

First Shirt wrote:It's also going to complicate finding a semi-auto handgun for her.
CZ-82.
Life is short, ammo is expendable. Empty the mag.
oilcrash

Post by oilcrash »

First Shirt wrote:The fact that she's a southpaw makes an even better case for the Mossy 20 ga., since the safety is ambidexterous (it's mounted on the tang, where shotgun safeties are supposed to be!).

It's also going to complicate finding a semi-auto handgun for her.
Not necessarily, if you break things down to the point of either A) ambidextrous safety, or B) No external safety, then there is no trouble.

Mag releases tend to be easier in my experience to manipulate with a single finger on my shooting hand (being a southpaw), than to work with my backup shooting hand.

With practice there is little difficulty in manipulating safeties that aren't ambidextrous. As for releasing a slide lock, gross muscle movements, just rack the slide.

A short list of decent semi-autos would be: Glock, Kel-tec, Steyr, Walther
Jered

Post by Jered »

My Bersa Thunder .45 has an ambi safety, an ambi slide release, and a reversible magazine release.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Thanks for the advice. Turns out she's not yet comfortable enough with handguns, and prefers the controlability of a stocked weapon. Looks like my suggestion should be for a 20 gauge Mossberg 500. The .22 rifle also went over well. What sort of safety arrangement does the 10-22 have?
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
cu74

Post by cu74 »

Cybrludite wrote:The .22 rifle also went over well. What sort of safety arrangement does the 10-22 have?
A cross-bar push button on the front of the trigger guard. Push left (right finger push) to "unsafe". Not intuitive for a lefty as a left finger push engages the safety........
Jim Dozier - Straight, but not narrow...
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.” - Rudyard Kipling.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

The 10/22 crossbolt safety can be replaced with a Power Custom safety that can be reversed for lefties. Last time I checked, it was about $10, and took a few minutes to install.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Jered

Post by Jered »

Cybrludite wrote:Thanks for the advice. Turns out she's not yet comfortable enough with handguns, and prefers the controlability of a stocked weapon. Looks like my suggestion should be for a 20 gauge Mossberg 500. The .22 rifle also went over well. What sort of safety arrangement does the 10-22 have?
Well, for future reference remember my tip about a the Bersa.

;)
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.