Home/self defense guns for waifs?

The place for beginners, or anyone else, to talk about gun, gear, and shooting topics with a minimum of jargon and/or geekery. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask that blows up in your face later.
Precision

Re: Home/self defense guns for waifs?

Post by Precision »

add me to the P3AT list.

Great gun for the money and if she has small hands, the small grip won't be a hinderence. My (on and off again GF) says it is her favorite of my guns although she shoots the .22 Mark III much more. FWIW she is 5'8" with fairly (for a girl) big hands.

The P3AT is not a pleasant gun after about 30-50 rounds but thankfully the mag is limited to 6+1. :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Rich

Post by Rich »

20 gauge is good, but my late sister preferred her .410 pump. And she was of average size, about 5 foot six.

Also try her on a snubby with .38 special for carry.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Honestly you really need to have them both try different guns and see what the do the best with. An all metal .38 or 9mm would give them both a fairly potent cartridge and low recoil. The problem with many smaller caliber guns is that not only are the rounds smaller, but the gun is also smaller and weighs less. This can increase recoil to unacceptable levels.
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Kommander wrote:Honestly you really need to have them both try different guns and see what the do the best with. An all metal .38 or 9mm would give them both a fairly potent cartridge and low recoil.
That's the basic idea for the range trip. Only hang-up is my handguns (except for the Kel-Tec) have all been bought over the years with my hands in mind, and I'm built like an Ogre.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Cybrludite wrote:
Kommander wrote:Honestly you really need to have them both try different guns and see what the do the best with. An all metal .38 or 9mm would give them both a fairly potent cartridge and low recoil.
That's the basic idea for the range trip. Only hang-up is my handguns (except for the Kel-Tec) have all been bought over the years with my hands in mind, and I'm built like an Ogre.

Are you green and smell bad ?

Seriously , a lightweight 20 should be just the ticket , such as
http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... _specs.asp .

/
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Cybrludite wrote:
When my sister was down here, she tried to glom onto my Sig P-6.

Her husband liked it as well. Granted, it's a single stack 9mm, that's a fairly basic pistol, but they generally go for a couple hundred bucks. It's a 9mm, so it's easy to shoot.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Jered that actually the EXACT pistol I was thinking of as I wrote that. Back when they were available for $250 from the major surplus dealers I recommended them to everyone. The only problem is the scarcity of the magazines. However now it looks like no one has them, and the only way to get one would be gunbroker or a local dealer for significantly more money.
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

Still, a P6/P225 is a good choice. I'd also consider a Walther PP or PPK/S in either .380 or .32 ACP. People sneer at the latter, but it gets the job done with hollowpoints.
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

arctictom wrote:
Cybrludite wrote:Only hang-up is my handguns (except for the Kel-Tec) have all been bought over the years with my hands in mind, and I'm built like an Ogre.

Are you green and smell bad ?
Nope. 30 meters long, and made of biphase carbide... :twisted:
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Aglifter wrote:What about a 357 lever action?
Funny you should mention that!

There was a segment on Shooting Gallery this past week about using a pistol-caliber lever-action carbine for HD, and it actually seems like it would work fairly well. Haven't been able to try any of the drills he outlined, but when the shoulder is better, I will definitely see about putting the lever-actions to work.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom