Dan Wesson revolver

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
FelixEstrella

Re: Dan Wesson revolver

Post by FelixEstrella »

I hate you!
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

OK. The youngest daughter who hasn't shot an AR? I took her to the indoor range to shoot the Dan Wesson and my 686. Oddly, I may still like the 686 a bit better. But probably I just need some practice.

We were shooting at 7, 10, 15, and 25 yards. We both shot like crap at 25. It was sad, really.

The DW kept shooting high, and I couldn't get the sights any lower. I also kept feeling some ... spray or something off of the side walls of the booth with it. She felt a bit too, after I asked about it. Not sure what that was. The barrel was set just a bit tighter than 0.006.

Oddly, I shot it better DA than SA. I also like the Hogue grip on the 686 better. I'm going to get one for the DW, and see what it does.

I think I just need more practice with revolvers. I have 113 lbs of ammo coming next week. 1,500 of it is .357. The UPS guy is going to hate me. :D
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I also kept feeling some ... spray or something off of the side walls of the booth with it. She felt a bit too, after I asked about it. Not sure what that was.
Sounds like the cylinder is mis-timed. It happens. Basically, the cylinder is not lining up with the forcing cone as perfectly as it should.

Here's a blurb I pulled off another forum-
The symptoms tend to be a pronounced loss of accuracy, some really obvious staining and mess on the face of the cylinder and frame and (perhaps most worrisome) the gun is said to “spit.” In short, bits of the bullet escape through the small amount of the active chamber and pepper anything within 180 degrees of the gun.
Take it to a smith that does cowboy action shooting work.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I wasn't getting it on every cylinder, so maybe that's it. I shot a group at 7 yds with 4 almost touching and 2 that I might call flyers. I wonder if those were the cylinders with issues. I'll have to look for leading, maybe.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

The smith looked at it. Not a take apart look, but under a light and magnifier. He thought it was the gap. I set it to 0.006, snugged it a bit, made sure I could still see a gap and that the cylinder didn't rub anywhere.

I'd read on the Dan Wesson forum that some people set it as tight as 0.002 and just periodically wipe the cylinder face. I'd also read that the 0.006 gap was Dan Wesson's way of preventing calls about cylinders that wouldn't turn. :)

Shot a box, and it seemed better. I split the box between the 6" and 8" barrel. No problems. No odd fliers that I couldn't attribute to myself.

I really need to practice my revolver shooting. Snap caps should arrive while I'm out of town.
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Weetabix wrote:
I'd read on the Dan Wesson forum that some people set it as tight as 0.002 and just periodically wipe the cylinder face..
The Suppermags were specced to be set to .002. Partially to mitigate flame cutting, but that wasn't really an issue with the DWs since most folks were shooting heavy bullets to knock over the rams.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I have the 4 barrel "briefcase" be sure to use the feeler gauge! It's a bad assed pistol.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.