Dick's Goes Zumbo

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Netpackrat

Re: Dick's Goes Zumbo

Post by Netpackrat »

Play stupid games...
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

They suck anyway - I would much rather have Galyans back. :cry:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

HTRN wrote:They suck anyway - I would much rather have Galyans back. :cry:
Ditto. Galyans was amazing, and I was always surprised a store so close to shitcago could have so much excellent stuff. I haven't shopped at Dicks in several years, partly because they're stupid but they also sucked for inventory and prices of things I wanted.

Early Sports Authority was awesome. But they went downhill many many years before they failed.
toad

Post by toad »

For some reason Dick's profits are going down.
"Put your wana buys and your need to buys at the back of the store so the customers walk past the "OOOOh shiny stuff. "
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Rich Jordan wrote:
Ditto. Galyans was amazing, and I was always surprised a store so close to shitcago could have so much excellent stuff. I haven't shopped at Dicks in several years, partly because they're stupid but they also sucked for inventory and prices of things I wanted.

Early Sports Authority was awesome. But they went downhill many many years before they failed.
LOVED Galyans! We probably went to the same one near the Kingdom of Chicago.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

About all I generally buy at Dicks is worms for fishing, and I have a gift card, I figure they've already got the money.

Then there was the memorable time when the young lady cashier didn't want to handle the worm container, she just handed me a bag to put it in myself.

I buy most of my fishing gear mail order from Cabelas (where I also have a couple gift cards from Christmas).
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

For those who like Cabelas (even now that Bass Pro is homogenizing them somewhat), there's a seller on eBay that frequently has gift cards available for 18 or 20% off. "svmgiftcards", and they currently have $100 cards for $80 including postage (limit 3). Sometimes they're $82 for a $100 card. They don't always have the discount cards, and when they do they tend to sell quickly, but saving 20% on many of the more expensive items there is pretty nice. I have not had any problems with a card from them, even kept for over a year. Satisfied customer, no other connection.

Last year I picked up my new good scope, paid with 20% off gift cards, and also used a rebate site called Active Junky which was offering 15% rebate at the time (normally hovers at 6-7%), plus a $15 off coupon (Bass Pro has since killed these off I understand). That takes some of the sting off of more expensive items.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

skb12172 wrote:Now, they are paying the expected price.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/dicks- ... un-stance/
As Instapundit says, Get Woke, Go Broke.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Rich Jordan wrote:
When they were bought out, and the existing Galyans stores were rebranded, I noticed two things 1) the interior design was far nicer, and 2) they greatly reduced the amount of stuff they carried that i was interested in, and expanded the far more profitable/"cool" stuff like rock climbing gear.

It didnt matter to me at that point, because Cabelas opened in Hamburg by then.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

We've had a Cabelas nearby for about 10 years now. Unfortunately its nearby. If it wasn't it might be outside the bounds of f*cking crook county and would therefore be a lot more useful. As it is you're stuck paying the county extortion on ammo and firearms on top of sales tax. They also reduced the size of the store a few years ago due to heavy taxes based on retail space; the second floor is now classrooms and displays. The guns/shooting section is still decent but only about 60% of its original size, and the used gun selection is downright pitiful compared to the store's early days.

But its still great to have. And still so much better than the pecker store...