Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
HTRN

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by HTRN »

TheArmsman wrote:
HTRN wrote:Rich, you might want to check out the community contributed fanwork "Jenkinsverse". It's a HFY style of story, with humans being short, incredibly strong (Earth is a heavy gravity world compared to the rest of the occupied planets in the galaxy), and aggressive species. Which is a nice change of pace from the previously scariest species in the galaxy, which liked to eat "people". :shock:

They're first attempt to perform a harvesting on the deathworld known as earth? A Canadian hockey game. :lol:
This is one hell of a time sink. And a lot of fun to read. Only up to chapter 40.
Just once, I'd like to read a scifi story where humans arent the backwards newcomers on the scene the best I've managed to find is "with friends like these" and The Ancient
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
toad

Post by toad »

I've busted my book budget for the month or I'd buy the collection of Playboy short science fiction stories. There was one in particular in which a FTL ship landed in New York's Central Park and proceeded to do their SOP or overawing the natives by slaughtering a bunch with their superior weaponry. Unfortunately this doesn't work well for them. Black Power muzzle loaders vs. SWAT.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

HTRN wrote: Just once, I'd like to read a scifi story where humans arent the backwards newcomers on the scene the best I've managed to find is "with friends like these" and The Ancient
The Empire of Man series, by David Weber and John Ringo are pretty good. Advanced humans land on primitive planet. Well, I enjoyed them, anyway!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
randy

Post by randy »

First Shirt wrote:
HTRN wrote: Just once, I'd like to read a scifi story where humans arent the backwards newcomers on the scene the best I've managed to find is "with friends like these" and The Ancient
The Empire of Man series, by David Weber and John Ringo are pretty good. Advanced humans land on primitive planet. Well, I enjoyed them, anyway!
Well, when you have a main character that adopts the motto of "Peace Through Superior Firepower", what's not to like?

The only bad part about that series is when you re-read them, you start to realize that someone, (I'd put money on that Ringo bastard) sets up some pretty horrendous puns in character and place names, some of which take multiple volumes to set up.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

First Shirt wrote:The Empire of Man series, by David Weber and John Ringo are pretty good. Advanced humans land on primitive planet. Well, I enjoyed them, anyway!
I have that on my Nook. I'd forgotten completely about that. I need to dig it out, dust it off, and see if it will take a charge.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

toad wrote:I've busted my book budget for the month or I'd buy the collection of Playboy short science fiction stories. There was one in particular in which a FTL ship landed in New York's Central Park and proceeded to do their SOP or overawing the natives by slaughtering a bunch with their superior weaponry. Unfortunately this doesn't work well for them. Black Power muzzle loaders vs. SWAT.
So, you are saying they fired 87 rounds in order to hit 2 aliens and 5 bystanders?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

toad wrote:I've busted my book budget for the month or I'd buy the collection of Playboy short science fiction stories. There was one in particular in which a FTL ship landed in New York's Central Park and proceeded to do their SOP or overawing the natives by slaughtering a bunch with their superior weaponry. Unfortunately this doesn't work well for them. Black Power muzzle loaders vs. SWAT.
I know that story, there was a sequel too it too. :ugeek:

Give me a.day or two, and I'll remember the title and author. ;)
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Netpackrat wrote:
So, you are saying they fired 87 rounds in order to hit 2 aliens and 5 bystanders?
87 rounds per SWAT team member...

The High Crusade plot line showed it might not matter if the earthlings were still fighters and villager from the middle-ages, an unprepared or over-eager high tech alien group thinking they can just drop in and conquer might have some painful surprises coming.
toad

Post by toad »

Netpackrat wrote:
I can't remember if they were using smooth bores or rifled muskets. If they were using rifled muskets, one alien, two bystanders with ramrods, and ten bystanders, and two dogs, in the first volley.
toad

Post by toad »

The High Crusade....Long Bows in space, no flash to give away positions IIRC.