Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
MiddleAgedKen

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

No, read the whole thing. I still need to get and read Volume III myself.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
toad

Post by toad »

Feeling grumpy, tried to find "Through Time and Space with Ferdinand Feghoot" , I could only find paperback sources ranging from $152 for partials to $528 for the whole collection.
I can only remember a few of them with punch lines like , "Ziggarats that are risky, and vile, vile Rimmon, they'l make you go crazy they'l drive you insane.
"You'll have to wait till the nun signs Shelly. "
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Fiction: Sins of Her Father by Mike Kupari

Non-Fiction: Reconsidering the American Way of War: U.S. Military Practice from the Revolution to Afghanistan by Antulio J. Echvarria II
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
toad

Post by toad »

Meme's I'm tired of. The hostile aliens come and the world has to form one government to cope. I prefer all the different countries and states stay separate and kick their asses around. "Son, can you go see if the O'Malley's will loan us their Earth to Orbit Plasma gun in exchange for a dozen pecan pies?
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

I'm currently reading 'The Grey Man- Twilight', the 5th book in J.L. Curtis' 'Grey Man' series. So far it's just as good as the other ones.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I'm waiting on continuation books for 5 series now. To fill the gap, the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot series by W. J. Lundy. Follows a small group of American troops who were out in the sandbox and missed the spread of a 'living zombie' epidemic that turns victims into nearly mindless rage monsters. Their expedition is caught far from base, their forward base is overrun, and they miss all the recalls to be sent back to the States. So they start making their own way back.

So far I like it. Its not stellar writing but its good enough to read smoothly, and the characters, while somewhat 'thin' are still not jarring paper cutouts (one almost is but by volume 4 they seem to be filling out).

Recommended if you can get them on sale.
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

HTRN wrote:Rich, you might want to check out the community contributed fanwork "Jenkinsverse". It's a HFY style of story, with humans being short, incredibly strong (Earth is a heavy gravity world compared to the rest of the occupied planets in the galaxy), and aggressive species. Which is a nice change of pace from the previously scariest species in the galaxy, which liked to eat "people". :shock:

They're first attempt to perform a harvesting on the deathworld known as earth? A Canadian hockey game. :lol:
This is one hell of a time sink. And a lot of fun to read. Only up to chapter 40.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

toad wrote:Meme's I'm tired of. The hostile aliens come and the world has to form one government to cope. I prefer all the different countries and states stay separate and kick their asses around. "Son, can you go see if the O'Malley's will loan us their Earth to Orbit Plasma gun in exchange for a dozen pecan pies?
You might want to give Christopher G. Nutall's Ark Royal series (12 books; #12 just came out last week) a try. No formal unified government, although the various Earth governments do generally work in the same direction. The series does feature one of it's trilogies having a space war between the UK and India.

Nutall also has his Learning Experience series (currently 4 books), which is a whole different take on humans vs aliens, at least how it starts.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

March is turning out to be quite a month for releases on my fiction list:

First up, the aforementioned Sins of Her Father by Mike Kupari https://smile.amazon.com/Sins-Father-Pr ... her+father

Next up, Invincible (Ark Royal 12) by Christopher G. Nutall https://smile.amazon.com/Invincible-Ark ... invincible

Chronlogically out the same day as Kupari's book, but I just noticed it today, Call to Vengeance by Timoth Zahn and David Weber https://smile.amazon.com/Call-Vengeance ... +vengeance

Also a 6 March release, not on the list of books I was waiting for, but probably going to buy it anyway because it's got David Drake and Michael Z. Williamson, Star Destroyers from Baen Books https://smile.amazon.com/Star-Destroyer ... destroyers

I also picked up Michael Z. Williamson's Wisdom From My Inernets just because Mad Mike pisses liberals (especially FB liberals) off.

I'll be in my chair.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
toad

Post by toad »

Langenator wrote:
toad wrote:Meme's I'm tired of. The hostile aliens come and the world has to form one government to cope. I prefer all the different countries and states stay separate and kick their asses around. "Son, can you go see if the O'Malley's will loan us their Earth to Orbit Plasma gun in exchange for a dozen pecan pies?
You might want to give Christopher G. Nutall's Ark Royal series (12 books; #12 just came out last week) a try. No formal unified government, although the various Earth governments do generally work in the same direction. The series does feature one of it's trilogies having a space war between the UK and India.

Nutall also has his Learning Experience series (currently 4 books), which is a whole different take on humans vs aliens, at least how it starts.
Damn, Thanks for reminding me. I read one of the "learning Experience" books but I forgot to keep track of the sequels. I may go back and read some of Christopher Anvil's books also. The alien's developed Faster Than Light travel because they were too dumb to realize it couldn't be done.