Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
HTRN

Re: Does not follow...

Post by HTRN »

SoupOrMan wrote:I am annoyed by consumer electronics that are still usable except for one minor part. Case in point: my emergency radio. It's a Grundig FR-200. I can't find a replacement for the emergency light. Sure, I have tons of other emergency lights and lanterns around the house for tornado season, but that's not the point. My extra extra extra extra wee little light doesn't work. It's an LED. It should be fine. The radio still works, thank goodness.
Does the case have screws? If so, then take it apart and replace it im sure digikey has something that will work.

Jimmy Diresta commits gun butchery on a Ithaca 37. Thankfully its not the original buttstock.

I think ive got another nail in one of the tires, gonna check tomorrow, when its not raining and dark. :ugeek:

Ive got to go to West Marine this weekend, theyre the only source for 12v cigarette plugs that dont look like cheap crap that i can find.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

The LED is soldered in there with no identifying marks... de-soldering is easy enough. Finding a proper replacement is going to be tough.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

SoupOrMan wrote:The LED is soldered in there with no identifying marks... de-soldering is easy enough. Finding a proper replacement is going to be tough.
Not really, measure the existing one to find a physical match, and pick something in the 250-500 milliwatt range. If you pick too low and it burns out, you simply go up a size in wattage. :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Another sailboat "disaster"

I'll never understand how people define planning as "stocking up on food and water" and not actually learning some basics and fundamentals of sailing before embarking on these journeys.

No incomes. No experience. No idea what they were doing. No insurance. They do have a Go Fund Me up and running though....

Thank goodness these people cant afford aircraft.
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

People who think we should have flying cars have never driven on the D.C. Beltway. You want THAT crap flying around over your house/playground/mall? "You're mad!"
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I was informed yesterday during lunch in the company cafeteria that E Town is shutting down the dragstrip, due to rising costs, noise complaints and declining revenues. The summernationals are no more. :(

A house that i had previously given up on is back on the market, gonna take a look next weekend.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Steamforger wrote:Another sailboat "disaster"

I'll never understand how people define planning as "stocking up on food and water" and not actually learning some basics and fundamentals of sailing before embarking on these journeys.

No incomes. No experience. No idea what they were doing. No insurance. They do have a Go Fund Me up and running though....

Thank goodness these people cant afford aircraft.
Shit happens... There are plenty of people who do exactly what they did with as much experience, and succeed. Then on the other hand plenty of others who do have experience and do know what they are doing still manage to run into trouble, so I don't think the article contained sufficient data to conclude whether this was a result of inexperience or just one of those things. A guy could argue that they should have known that the shoals and channel shift around in the area where they got stuck, because obviously the locals know, but here's the thing... If you are sailing the world, most of the time you aren't going to have that local knowledge and you have to go by the best information you have in the form of charts, instrumentation, etc. Maybe there was a warning on the chart that they overlooked and maybe not. Not enough there to know without getting a copy of the chart they were using. Charts are not always right or up to date. Yeah, you should be aware of this, but it may be what you have to go on.

Also consider that the shipwwrecked couple are probably sailing experts compared to whoever wrote the article, and the writer's main goal is to generate traffic/readership more than to accurately convey facts.

The Gofundme is kind of lame, but plenty of long distance cruisers have "no income" or at least no regular income. Some do work that can be done long distance and/or at sea; others cruise until the money runs out and they stop to work for a while to rebuild their cruising fund. The current hip thing to do seems to be to document your experiences on Youtube, and get income from ads and Patreon. If you can get somebody to send you money because they find value in watching what you produce, why not? It's possible to live pretty cheaply while cruising if you stay out of marinas, and eat a lot of rice and fish, while depending on your sails rather than burning up expensive diesel. It's not like you are in a hurry.

Not having any boat (or airplane) insurance is pretty common... If you financed your boat then the lender is going to require it, but if you bought an old boat for cash and then fixed it up yourself, then having insurance may not really be worth what you pay for it. From what I have read, there are lots of exclusions on what they will cover. One common exclusion seems to be named storms... With many of those boats in the Caribbean that got whacked by one hurricane or another last season, even insured owners got exactly zero payout on their destroyed boats. I guess the rationale is you should be smart enough to not be in that region with your boat during hurricane season.

As for stocking up, that's just part of traveling on a boat for months at a time.

Again, not saying that these people are not idiots, I'm just not willing to assume that based on what was presented.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Last week I overheard a co-worker talking to a mechanic about his car, it was telling him his tire pressure was low and once before he had a bad sensor, which this mechanic replaced. He was complaining to them that they should replace it again for free since it's been less than a year since it was replace.

This morning I heard him tell another co-worker that he didn't need to go to the mechanic, he checked his pressure and it was low.

Ummm, isn't that kinda the FIRST thing you check when the idiot light goes on? I guess that's why they call it an idiot light.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Interview with the couple that lost their boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7fLn5DItPw

Seems as though their biggest mistakes were buying a 50 year old, $5000 boat (hence the lack of insurance, because really why bother?) and maybe not having put enough into inspection or refitting, and then trying to enter an unfamiliar anchorage at night. The dude said he was motoring at about 2 knots in no-wind conditions, when they ran aground. What sunk the boat was the keel falling off... On a boat so old, no telling what kind of shape the bolts/joint were in. That's certainly something I would have wanted to check out, but then again the visible parts might not have looked so bad. They were pretty lucky it happened where it did and close to help, rather than offshore in bad weather.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

It's very interesting to anticipate a VDH column.

https://amgreatness.com/2018/02/11/repu ... rassments/
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr