Lever-action for home defense

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Netpackrat

Re: Lever-action for home defense

Post by Netpackrat »

I think if a lever gun were my best legal choice, I would either move or use something not legal.

Of course, half of my lever guns are already non-California-legal. :lol:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I'm sure you've all figured out by now that this is not for me, but after The Incident last week, I've about decided that my options are to (a) get Youngest Minion something better than a single-action revolver for investigating bumps in the night, or (b) weld the little twerp into a barrel until she turns 18.

She's kinda "meh" about ARs and semi-autos in general, and there's already a shotgun in the house, which she thinks is "sloppy and kinda messy." (And it's a 12 ga., which is way more recoil than she can ballast). Let her shoot The Boss's .357 Trapper last weekend, and she really liked it, except for the "itty-bitty bullets."

So, I'm thinking to hit the gun stores and pawn shops, and find either a Rossi 92, or a Marlin 1894, in .45 Colt, and set it up for her, lest she let her attitude write a check that her a$$ can't cover.

Or maybe I'll just fall back on Plan B: Wrap her in duct tape and shoot Valium at her with a slingshot.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

We'll need pics. ;)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Talk to me about the advantages of 45LC over 357. Maybe I need another lever gun.

I bought the 357 because my youngest daughter is small and was young at the time. I figured the recoil with 38 in it wouldn't be a problem. It wasn't. But she's a cheapskate, so she made me* buy her a 22 lever so she'd have more bullets/$.

ETA *OK, that's unfair to her. She didn't make me. I bought it for her and left it on her bed without telling her about it. She found it and came down all grins.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Main advantages of .45 Colt over .357, in this case, are (a) ammo commonality with a .45 Colt revolver, and (b) a bigger hole in the target.

Downsides are reduced point-blank range, due to lower velocity, and lack of suitable factory ammunition, which means handloads will be required. Not a real problem, since I've got a 6-cavity mold that throws a 300 gr. WFN bullet, and several hundred pounds of former wheelweights to make them from.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
BDK

Post by BDK »

Henry makes a 327 lever action and Ruger is making 327 SP101s again...
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

You can only reload Henry's from the tube AFAIK. I'd go with something that had a loading gate, or a different platform entirely.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Oh, no!!! If I got her any sort of .32, she'd cry her eyes out, and never speak to me again!! Trust me, I know this Minion! She's pretty sure that handgun calibers start with .4, and only go up from there.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

theres also the amish machine gun option.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

Well, since it looks like caliber has been decided, next up sights.

I am very partial to tritium sights on defensive weapons. being able to see them in the dark with no reliance of batteries is a major plus for me. Either replace the iron sights with tritium sights (all of my current carry pistols except the J frame), or mount something like the Reflex sight I have on my AR. (or both if the budget permits).

I've long heard people advocating for Ghost Ring sights on lever actions and shotguns, but have never actually had the chance to try some. Google show that they are made with tritium inserts.

I'm pretty meh on weapons lights attached to the weapon. My experience is that while weapons lights help you find and ID the target, they are not very useful (with my eyes anyway) in picking up standard sights to actually hit the target. Of course, that's for carry or fighting two legged predators. For the situation Jr. Minion found herself in against 4 legged, it might be a benefit.

That said, the House Mossberg 500 does have an mount with a mini-mag light, and with that particular light the bright part of the beam is actually a pretty good aim point at house fighting ranges. I'm just not convinced as to it's usefulness for me on carry pieces / center fire rifles
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".