The Gun Safe thread

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Greg

Re: The Gun Safe thread

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:Sadly, the nearest Costco is 200 miles away and I can't fit big. Maybe Greg could bring me one.

But thanks for the encouragement. ;)
Funny, just when I also am finally getting around to looking at something more secure than the gym locker type Stack-On cabinet I have now.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

The $800-1000 RSC rated safes with UL 1078 locks at Bass Pro are looking good to me right now. Liberty safes are much more expensive for the same ratings. Although, I think some of those have 11 ga walls rather than the 12 ga walls of the Bass Pro safes. There's a shop not too out of the way that's having a sale, but I can't tell from their online info whether they have any ratings I'm looking for. I'm texting with a guy not to far away that has a Liberty-made safe on armslist, but again, I haven't received the rating info yet.

And, HTRN? Send me a boatload of cash, and I'll start considering your excellent suggestions. :lol:

ETA: Oh, yeah - the doors on the Bass Pro safes come off. That would be a bonus in moving it into the basement and maybe eventually getting it back out.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

A public defender of my acquaintance, has been professionally aware of or involved in a number of cases involving firearms theft from safes. He said the only one where they successfully broke into a safe on-site, was at an unattended remote cabin where they had time to work on it. All of the others, they physically removed the safe and transported to a location where they had time and equipment to break into it.

Bolt it to a concrete floor if at all possible. Try to put it in a closet where it is difficult or impossible to attack the sides, top, and back. If you have to put it in a garage, try to build something like HTRN described around it.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rich

Post by Rich »

Greg wrote:Funny, just when I also am finally getting around to looking at something more secure than the gym locker type Stack-On cabinet I have now.
Let me save you some money. Keep your Stack-On. And hanging out around the edge of the locked door, artfully drape a couple of very dirty athletic socks and a crusty jock strap. Thieves will be afraid to touch it. ;)
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Greg

Post by Greg »

Rich wrote:
Greg wrote:Funny, just when I also am finally getting around to looking at something more secure than the gym locker type Stack-On cabinet I have now.
Let me save you some money. Keep your Stack-On. And hanging out around the edge of the locked door, artfully drape a couple of very dirty athletic socks and a crusty jock strap. Thieves will be afraid to touch it. ;)
But they'll still break in, just this time they'll be looking for my cell phone and wallet. :x
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Precision

Post by Precision »

My local costco has several sizes of the Cannon. They had the BIG one for $800 and medium sized one for $500 and a small one for 350 or so. You might want to check. I got the $500 when they had a sale and it was $400.

They aren't SAFES, but they are good against most of what you want. My mid sized one on about 600# empty. 60x36x20
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote:HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot.
Lately, ive gotten it from work, it started when i mentioned my "better to be judged by 12 than carried by six" philosophy, along with "fighting fair is fighting stupid". Who knew? :|

The carbide inserts do a wonder on chopsaw blades, and you cant cut stainless with an O/A torch. :ugeek: :twisted:

If you want to get really nasty, a mtion detector triggered co2 bottle with a delay, and a hidden disable is one of the funner things i thought up, but alas its horribly illegal under various mantrap laws, so dont do that. :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

What happens if you try to cut stainless with an O/A torch? Do bad things happen?
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
evan price

Post by evan price »

TheArmsman wrote:What happens if you try to cut stainless with an O/A torch? Do bad things happen?
It won't cut.
Flame cutting doesn't actually cut with the flame. The flame preheats the iron then the oxygen blast burns the iron.
Stainless forms stable oxides that don't burn.
However if you put a mild steel welding rod on the area you want to cut that will burn through the stainless.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

If theyre smart and determined, theyll get in, no matter what you do, the idea is to make it as difficult and unpleasant as possible. :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt