Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Greg

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Greg »

I've recently done a bunch of rereading.

Glen Cook's Sweet Silver Blues. Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms. David Drake's Redliners. Somewhat eclectic taste, I know.

Of original reading, I'm currently working on Gary Taube's The Case Against Sugar.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I enjoyed Patriots by John Wesley, Rawles (though I don't know what the comma is about)

So, I ordered Survivors, Expatriates, and Founders. Much the same, which is to say enjoyable. He presents contemporaneous stories in different parts of the country and over seas. The stories move along well. Decent character development. Not as many detailed "instructions" ("for entertainment only - seem professional advice before trying any of this at home") as in Patriots. I recommend them, if you liked Patriots.

Expatriates got here first, then Survivors. Haven't gotten to Founders yet.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I've been caught up in a set of John C Wright stories; the Swan Knight trilogy and the subsequent Daughter of Danger series. There is the human daylight world, the Night world where the forsaken Elfs maintain a hidden dominion over humans, and the twilight world of those 'in between'. Not twilight sparkly vampires, please...

So far they've been a lot of fun to read.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Finished the fantasy series; it got a little conflicted in the end between a bouncy happy plot line ending and some pretty ugly stuff likely coming up in a subsequent series. But it was still a fun read.

Currently reading the Legionnaire series by Nick Cole; it is making obvious references to some current events but book one (Legionnaire) was good; book two (Galactic Outlaws) seems somewhat disjointed and I'm wondering if a co-authors are writing alternating sections. Still enjoying it.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

A Dog in the Cave: The Wolves That Made Us Human. Interesting study of how dogs and humans have co-evolved. Lots of insight into why your dog acts the way it does.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I finished The Monuments Men, on which the movie was based. It is as the coworker who gave me the book said, even better than the movie.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Got about 130 or so pages to go in Middlemarch. I think I like Eliot better than Dickens.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Rich

Post by Rich »

Harry Harrison's West of Eden trilogy is now available for Kindle at a reasonable price. I have 2/3 of the print version, and have not been able to replace volume one at a reasonable price.

I am happily rereading the entire trilogy,

Bliss! 8-)
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Empire of Liberty by Gordon S. Wood. Book II of the Oxford history of the United States. Covers the period from the Constitution to the end of the War of 1812. Wood is the author of The Radicalism of the American Revolution, so it's not a bunch of SJW whining.

As soon as I can get to the library, I'll be starting on the third book in Michael Connelly's Bosch series, Concrete Blonde. I decided that $10 was more than I'm willing to pay for a novel on Kindle. Interestingly, the university library doesn't have it, but the county library does.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

An old collection of Arthur C. Clarke's sci fi short stories.

I find that old sci fi, read before bedtime, is a bit soporific.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D