Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Windy Wilson

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Windy Wilson »

I finished "Amazing Grace", Eric Metaxis's biography of William Wilberforce, charged through "Killing Floor", Lee Child's first Jack Reacher novel, and am now about 1/3 of the way through Ernle Bradford's "Ulysses Found". He's *(was, unfortunately) a very engaging writer. His Great Siege of Malta: 1565 is a real page turner even though we know the Hospitaliers won. His Ulysses book shows that the poem follows the geography of the central Mediterranean very closely, particularly the details about sailing.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

The Stand by Stephen King. Apparently, I'm on a thick book spree.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through. I'd forgotten a lot of it. Some of it is kind of gross.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Calexit an anthology with short stories from a number of authors that I really like. They've got it up on Amazon right now, either Kindle or dead tree version.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

First Shirt wrote:Calexit an anthology with short stories from a number of authors that I really like. They've got it up on Amazon right now, either Kindle or dead tree version.
Just started that one myself.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Just started Eric Metaxis' "Martin Luther". Good story teller and researcher (or reader of the current research).
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
g-man

Post by g-man »

Working my way through When Violence is the Answer by Tim Larkin. Wouldn't be alarming to most readers of this forum, in that we understand that once the threshold gets crossed, ending the fight as quickly and effectively as possible is advised. However, since I pre-ordered, I got access to a video companion course which has some good content highlighting the differences between antisocial aggression and asocial violence.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Jered

Post by Jered »

Weetabix wrote:The Stand by Stephen King. Apparently, I'm on a thick book spree.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through. I'd forgotten a lot of it. Some of it is kind of gross.
[spoiler]...cold, cold...semen?[/spoiler]

Have you read 11/22/63?

That's a good one of King's books.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Jered wrote:
Weetabix wrote:The Stand by Stephen King. Apparently, I'm on a thick book spree.

[spoiler]...cold, cold...semen?[/spoiler]
I'm not there yet, but...
[spoiler]Nadine and Harold and especially Trashcan Man and The Kid make me uncomfortable.[/spoiler]
Have you read 11/22/63?

That's a good one of King's books.
Nope. I'll look out for it. But the "to read" pile is pretty big right now. Curse you, ABEbooks.com! :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Wrenchbender1

Post by Wrenchbender1 »

Emden : My experiences in S. M. S. Emden
Interesting so far. The Emden was a German light cruiser/commerce raider that was sunk during WWI. Hopefully, I'll come across a book about the SMS Seeadler as well. Both crews were well respected on both sides.
Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master.
- Demosthenes
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

The Cruel Sea by Nicholas Monsarrat.

I've got the old black and white movie, must have watched it a hundred times. One of my all time favs. But it occurred to me of late that I had never read the book. So now I have the book. It is fiction, but based on real stuff, Monsarrat served on corvettes and ended the war in command of a Frigate.