Ban the box - CA felons get a break

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
User avatar
Weetabix
Good Christ I Need A Life
Posts: 5359
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:04 am
Location: MO
Contact:

Ban the box - CA felons get a break

Postby Weetabix » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:59 pm

Apparently, the CA governor signed a bill to prohibit private businesses from asking potential hires whether they have a criminal record - Ban the box.

I think I'd make a condition of employment that you had to go to gun store, purchase a gun, and bring in the gun and the receipt with serial numbers.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

User avatar
scipioafricanus
Loose Cannon
Posts: 950
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:08 pm

Re: Ban the box - CA felons get a break

Postby scipioafricanus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:46 pm

Weetabix wrote:Apparently, the CA governor signed a bill to prohibit private businesses from asking potential hires whether they have a criminal record - Ban the box.

I think I'd make a condition of employment that you had to go to gun store, purchase a gun, and bring in the gun and the receipt with serial numbers.

What if you have to get a security clearance for something?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka

User avatar
308Mike
Moderator
Posts: 16511
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: San Diego area, People's Republic of Kommiefornia

Re: Ban the box - CA felons get a break

Postby 308Mike » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:52 am

scipioafricanus wrote:
Weetabix wrote:Apparently, the CA governor signed a bill to prohibit private businesses from asking potential hires whether they have a criminal record - Ban the box.

I think I'd make a condition of employment that you had to go to gun store, purchase a gun, and bring in the gun and the receipt with serial numbers.

What if you have to get a security clearance for something?

Then that's NOT the employer asking, it's the GOVERNMENT. HUGE difference!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad

User avatar
Vonz90
Active Shooter
Posts: 3168
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:05 pm

Re: Ban the box - CA felons get a break

Postby Vonz90 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:03 pm

Weetabix wrote:Apparently, the CA governor signed a bill to prohibit private businesses from asking potential hires whether they have a criminal record - Ban the box.

I think I'd make a condition of employment that you had to go to gun store, purchase a gun, and bring in the gun and the receipt with serial numbers.


This is a good bill if you want to help out white felons and hurt black/Hispanic non-felons. 'Cause that is what common sense says and experience shows it is what happens.

http://time.com/4482150/ban-the-box-uni ... imination/

The Left keeps doing all this stuff to hurt minorities, at some point you have to figure they are doing it on purpose. If it was accidental you would think the law of averages would dictate that occasionally they did something positive for them.

User avatar
MiddleAgedKen
On a list somewhere
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:11 pm
Location: Flyover Country
Contact:

Re: Ban the box - CA felons get a break

Postby MiddleAgedKen » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:10 pm

Vonz90 wrote:The Left keeps doing all this stuff to hurt minorities, at some point you have to figure they are doing it on purpose.


The Cannon Fodder of the Revolution ain't gonna motivate itself to charge the machine guns.
Watergate didn't have a body count.

User avatar
HTRN
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 10833
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:05 am
Location: Under your bed with a knife
Contact:

Re: Ban the box - CA felons get a break

Postby HTRN » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:41 pm

There going to find it does nothing, all they have to do is add "background check required". :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

User avatar
evan price
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1782
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:24 am
Location: OH-IO The heart of it all!

Re: Ban the box - CA felons get a break

Postby evan price » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:37 am

The bill says you can't background check until you make a job offer.
Fine.
Require a $100 deposit for the background check.
If you pass the check you get the deposit back.
If you fail it's forfeit.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!

User avatar
Kommander
Active Shooter
Posts: 3750
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:13 am

Re: Ban the box - CA felons get a break

Postby Kommander » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:44 am

evan price wrote:The bill says you can't background check until you make a job offer.
Fine.
Require a $100 deposit for the background check.
If you pass the check you get the deposit back.
If you fail it's forfeit.


Pretty sure that's illegal. Also pretty sure this is going to end up in front of the Supremes sooner or later.

Langenator
Loose Cannon
Posts: 834
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:10 pm
Location: Brazos County, TX

Re: Ban the box - CA felons get a break

Postby Langenator » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:07 pm

I expect that any employers for which this might be an issue to start running credit checks instead, if they already don't. (Or did the PDR of Kalifornia already bar that as well?) Basically, they will find the simplest, lowest cost way to filter out sh**heads.

And what about jobs for which it's actually relevant? Like, say, cops? Teachers? Bank workers? Armored car drivers? Can day cares check applicants against the sex offender database?
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

User avatar
MiddleAgedKen
On a list somewhere
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:11 pm
Location: Flyover Country
Contact:

Re: Ban the box - CA felons get a break

Postby MiddleAgedKen » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:11 pm

Langenator wrote:Can day cares check applicants against the sex offender database?


Next agenda item: normalize pedophilia. Result!
Watergate didn't have a body count.


Return to “History and Current Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests