Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Greg

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:Recently reread the first three Monster Hunter books. Bought Monster Hunter Legion and Monster Hunter Nemesis. Damn that Correia. I read Legion one night after work. Went to bed verrrry late. Skipped a night and told myself I could limit myself. Read Nemesis after work. Went to bed verrry late again.

The books are engaging. I like the backstory on Franks. Some of the fights went over long for me, so I skimmed a bit. I'll read them again later and hope I can restrain myself to reasonable sittings.
I read MH Siege very recently. It was good, but LC has done such a good job with his 'supporting' characters, made them so interesting and so sympathetic that when they get their own books it's awesome.

So awesome that 'Owen' books are almost a bit of a letdown. ;)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Just opened a box of R.A.Heinlein novels I last closed about 1987 when we last moved. I'll be busy for a while. :lol:
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I dug up my copy of "A Step Farther Out" by Jerry Pournelle. Probably won't have time until the weekend but its time to re-read it. It has been too long.

I'm sure parts of it are dated, but survival with style will never go out of style.
Jered

Post by Jered »

I'm reading Green Leader: Operation Gatling, the Rhodesian Military Response to the Viscount Tragedy

I'm at the part where the Rhodesians are figuring out who was behind shooting down their civilian airliner. They also murdered the survivors.

:roll:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
toad

Post by toad »

Got the paper back of Wilbur Smith's "War Cry." It covers the pre war years of Hitler's rise to power. "De Ja Vue all over again." and "History doesn't repeat itself but it does rhyme." Interesting the figures in England that embraced the communists and the Nazi's. Sounds like the people we have at present only they aren't doing it as well.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Red Storm Rising
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Weetabix wrote:Red Storm Rising
I always liked that one; pre Jack Ryan world.

Just finished two books; The Hidden Truth and A Rambling Wreck by Hans Schantz; I'll admit part of the enjoyment was the preaching to the choir nature of it for me, but still an enjoyable techno-fantasy conspiracy romp. Next book not yet released.
Rich

Post by Rich »

From fishy stories to something way out there.

Found something I had read about 40-50 years ago and now offered in Kindle format.

Yup, I'm rereading Atlantis, the Antediluvian World by Ignatius Donnelly. It's good bedtime reading. Just read until your eyes glaze over, then you're ready for sleep. Saves on the Opiods, don't ya know.

Earlier, I have read volumes 1-5 of Marko Kloos Frontier series, and will probably buy volume six whenever. I know some don't like his politics, but that has never stopped me before. ;)
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

I'm currently re-reading the 'Grey Man' series by J.L. Curtis, aka blogger 'OldNFO'. I'm about halfway through book three.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives