Las Vegas (Mandalay Bay) Concert shooting

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Rich

Re: Las Vegas (Mandalay Bay) Concert shooting

Post by Rich »

There is also a report that he had booked hotel rooms at another couple of music festivals, one a couple of months later in Las Vegas, and one in Boston. Boston police have stated that they are cooperating with the FBI and Las Vegas police.

So evidently he was looking and planning for a target rich situation.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Rich

Post by Rich »

Rich wrote:There is also a report that he had booked hotel rooms at some other music festivals, one a couple of months later in Las Vegas, and one in Boston. Boston police have stated that they are cooperating with the FBI and Las Vegas police.

A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Rich wrote:There is also a report that he had booked hotel rooms at another couple of music festivals, one a couple of months later in Las Vegas, and one in Boston. Boston police have stated that they are cooperating with the FBI and Las Vegas police.

I've read the same thing, except with Chicago, although there at least he reserved the rooms but never apparently checked in.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

All I can add is that I think it’s weird that we still know very little about the perp. No religion, political affiliation, drugs...
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

If I were trying to come up with explanations, here's what I might have:

Accepting the "official" story
: Here was a guy on lots of prescriptions - valium, probably heart and BP meds at least, maybe antidepressants given the current state of prescription participation in the US. See Ringo's anecdote. My dad and my wife's grandma reacted adversely mentally/emotionally to bad prescription combinations. So, WHY does he do this - personality changes from prescriptions. He begins plotting some nefarious plan. Evidence seems to indicate he checked out other high venues overlooking concerts. HOW does he do it? Staging equipment and ammo - easily done over 3 days. Hammers out windows with 2 angles. Having practiced range with some tannerite in the hills 13 miles from his hometown, he does the deed. Not wanting to be taken alive after flashbangs from the cops, he suck starts his revolver. Why didn't he do other stuff? We'll never know. Maybe the drugs affected other parts of his thinking. Why most of his guns and not all? Maybe he wanted to bring heat on the stores where he bought them because they "wronged" him somehow? Maybe he was obsessive compulsive. Maybe they were his favorites.

Suspecting something nefarious: Why is he there with so many weapons? He's meeting someone to show or sell them. Probably set up as a fall buy for his ostensible buyer(s). This could explain the very recent 308 purchase if it wan't the AR10. They shoot him. Do the shooting. Leave after 12 minutes or so. Cops show up 72 minutes after the shooting starts and find the scene easily explained by the above scenario. Who are the real bad guys? Antifa? BLM? ISIS? Maybe the guy they claimed did it really did do it, but he wasn't Paddock. Nefarious alphabet agency? Not sure of their motives, but we never are. ATF as a power grab? Dem whacko as a power grab? Bill Gates to increase MSN ratings? I dunno.

The theories could be improved with more facts.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I have a hard time buying off on a group of shooters walking right out of a building with almost as many cameras as people.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Steamforger wrote:I have a hard time buying off on a group of shooters walking right out of a building with almost as many cameras as people.
That's why I'd really like to see some security footage. I heard the FBI took it all. Any truth to that?

ETA: and I'm not saying that happened. Just speculating. The films would tell.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Again, first hand information from a first responder who was actually there.

That being said, it doesn't mean that Ninpo saw everything from his POV... I got the impression that he was treating casualties and probably wasn't one of the guys on the entry team (although that was his area of expertise in the military). I certainly plan on viewing anything we are told officially with a skeptical eye, but I think this is one of those events where the reality is horrible enough, without buying into some of the more fanciful notions people are pushing.

One other thing I read on yet another forum, was apparently there was an unarmed security guard patrolling the floor that the shooter was on, and when he went towards the sound of the shooting, the guy saw him on the cameras he'd set up, and sent a shitload of rounds at him through the door and walls, and then at some point afterward he suck started his own gun, as these nuts are apt to do once they have been disrupted in some way. The guard was wounded but he apparently was able to guide the responders right right in via either phone or radio. He probably saved a bunch of lives.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

For reference, I'm just exercising my imagination. I don't feel like we know all the backup of the official version, and lots of things don't make sense. But still, maybe drug interactions.