Las Vegas (Mandalay Bay) Concert shooting

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Weetabix

Re: Las Vegas (Mandalay Bay) Concert shooting

Post by Weetabix »

Precision wrote:shows an odd bump style stock and a 100 round magpul (or similar) stick mag on an AR.
Of the two photos I've seen, the stocks look different. The one that I would assume was a bump stock was on a rifle with a red dot(?). The one with what looks to me like a normal stock had a scope. What's up with that?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

There was some speculation at that other forum I linked, that he may have had some specific targets in mind besides just wanting to create as much carnage as possible.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rich

Post by Rich »

From the number hurt, it appears all he had to do was aim into the crowd, and not worry about specific targets. This would make the "bump" method of full auto more viable, as he didn't have to worry about accuracy.

Other reports say he was a millionaire with a home near Reno. They also say he was a former accountant.

His girlfriend is an Australian citizen, born in the Philippines, and formerly married to a US citizen. It is speculated she is in Japan, having left the U.S. a couple of weeks ago to supposedly visit family in the Philippines.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Hence the 2 guns, for 2 different purposes. He may have used the .308 more selectively prior to opening up with another weapon on FA or bumpfire.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Weetabix wrote: He had 19 guns at his home and 23 in the hotel. Not an excessive total, but the number in the hotel seems odd from a planning perspective. It will be interesting to hear a breakdown, if the ever release one. Seems like more magazines would make more sense than that number of firearms. Odd.
Switching between rifles, vice just changing magazines, could be a method for avoiding overheating. Max effective sustained ROF for the M4/M4A1 is 12-15 rounds per minute. It'll be a little different for whatever he was shooting, slightly higher due to heavier barrel mass (some JP models even have heat sink/radiators under the handguard).

But swapping rifles after doing a 100 round (the mag attached to the bumpfire stock rifle in the pic I saw was a 100 round Surefire) mag dump would work like doing a barrel change on a GPMG.

Another possible explanation for the .223 and .308 combination: his plan might have been to use the .223 rifles with bump stocks to hose down the concert until the crowd dispersed too much for that to be effective, then use the .308 to pick off any individuals still trying to hide in the kill zone.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Termite

Post by Termite »

rightisright wrote:
Termite wrote:Listening to the audio, that is odd full-auto fire. Too slow to be AK or M-16. I've shot AKs, RPKs, M16s, 9mm subguns, belt fed machine guns, even a 10/22 converted to full auto; and that is about the strangest full-auto firing I've heard. A bit like the firing rate of an old M3 "grease gun".

Very odd. Is that how "Hellfire" devices sound on a rifle?
I am going to go w. what someone above said. Bumpfire type stock.
Apparently I was right. It didn't sound like anything I've heard before on full-auto......firing rate was changing. Fox News is reporting "bump-fire" devise on the rifles.

Yeah...............which reportedly has a "learning curve" to use optimally.

This guy meets NONE of the profiles....... :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Something very very strange here............

<Termite puts tinfoil hat on.....> :?
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
evan price

Post by evan price »

Supposedly he put a webcam in a room service cart parked in the hall and another one on the peephole on the door so he would know when the cops were coming, plus another camera in the bedroom window to record the carnage.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Now there's this:
Federal officials say the Las Vegas shooter had devices attached to 12 weapons that allow semiautomatic rifles to mimic fully automatic gunfire.
https://apnews.com/f00cf82284934a24b685 ... _medium=AP

Scroll down to the 6:20 pm (3 Oct) update.

I'm going to venture a guess that he had a Surefire 100-round mag for each, and probably emptied each of them. (I have yet to see any video of the full, roughly 12 minute time period, 2208-2219 local, that the shooting reportedly lasted.)

Bad as things are, at least he didn't use his financial resources to buy something belt fed in 7.62.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Rod

Post by Rod »

Steamforger wrote:Have also seen pictures. It appears that the asshole ate a smallish revolver.
Seems those pictures are actual crime scene photos, the LVPD announced they're investigating who leaked them (I get the feeling he's going to be buried under the jail when they find him). It appears that there's at least one bump fire stock and reports are that at least two of the rifles had been modified to full auto.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Rod wrote:
Steamforger wrote:Have also seen pictures. It appears that the asshole ate a smallish revolver.
Seems those pictures are actual crime scene photos, the LVPD announced they're investigating who leaked them (I get the feeling he's going to be buried under the jail when they find him). It appears that there's at least one bump fire stock and reports are that at least two of the rifles had been modified to full auto.
I still get a lot of interesting photos from friends in blue places. I'm relatively certain that picture was already online by the time I got it, and this tends to be the case with most stuff that's on a national level. I think I got the Dallas Shooter pics about the same time they made it online as well. I get a lot of local stuff too, but that tends to not make it to the intarwebz.