Yachts and guns

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
HTRN

Re: Yachts and guns

Post by HTRN »

MiddleAgedKen wrote:
MarkD wrote:Yup. The two happiest days of a man's life, when he buys his boat, and when he sells his boat. A boat being a.hole in the water you dump money into.
Beat me to it. :) I do love to sail, though.
Boat is an acronym - bring out another thousand. :ugeek: :lol:

Still want a seaark flat bottom tunnel hull with a jet drive though..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Guncrazy

Post by Guncrazy »

Yachts and fleets of cheap drones rigged with high explosives or incendiaries...

Would this actually be more complicated than I think?
BDK

Post by BDK »

A) Scramblers

B) Very peeved ATF
Guncrazy

Post by Guncrazy »

BDK wrote:A) Scramblers

B) Very peeved ATF
Neither seem to be very relevant when luring pirates off the coasts of third world countries, or in international waters. Especially when you're already armed with machine guns.
henrybowman

Post by henrybowman »

So odd question, any reason why you would NOT be able to bring it back into the nation? Could they claim you are "importing" it as a cop out?
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Bought a 12' SUP used in early June. Been out on it 2x a week since then without fail. Took it up as next stage of back therapy. It's worked wonders for my hips and ability to jump to my feet (burpee, jumping up on regular surf board). The amount of upper body workout and cardio was unexpected plus. I dig in and sustain it pretty good for 20-30 minutes. This morning (roof to water to back on the roof rack) was 32 minutes, 134bpm average, 153bpm peak. 31:26 of that time was above my age bracket's aerobic threshold. Still got a warm buzz, elevated metabolism feeling going several hours later.

Anyway, I've been spending a lot of time on Mission Bay and sometimes (like today) paddling in the morning along Harbor Drive marina.

Two things in mind from this:
1. I've got a wee itch to get a kayak for longer runs and bumpier open water and the thought of rooftop sailboat or small trailered boat is pretty appealing. Loved sailing on a small lake in summers as a kid.

2. I see business opportunities all through those moorages. Maintenance, repair, interiors/upholstery. Lots of little businesses in view, running out of the back of a van or truck.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

blackeagle603 wrote: I've got a wee itch to get a kayak for longer runs and bumpier open water and the thought of rooftop sailboat or small trailered boat is pretty appealing. Loved sailing on a small lake in summers as a kid.
Blackeagle, once I get my shop cleaned up and organized somewhat, I am going to build one of these for the kids:

https://bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=D5

Been busy trying to get as much outside/yard work done as possible before the snow hits, so I haven't done much more than buy parts and supplies for it so far. They have a bunch of different small sailboats on that site, in a variety of sizes. There are a couple of free plans versions of the one I linked, too.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

In answer to the OP, shoot, sink, and shut-up.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Blackeagle, once I get my shop cleaned up and organized somewhat, I am going to build one of these for the kids
Rowed one of those around a lot as a kid. Never had one rigged to sail but see regattas of them in MIssion Bay -- young-uns starting off racing.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

blackeagle603 wrote:
Blackeagle, once I get my shop cleaned up and organized somewhat, I am going to build one of these for the kids
Rowed one of those around a lot as a kid. Never had one rigged to sail but see regattas of them in MIssion Bay -- young-uns starting off racing.
Those are probably Optimist class boats that you see.... Also known as the world's slowest racing yacht. The one I am going to build is more of a general purpose boat, though I may borrow a few parts, here and there.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop