The Stupid It Burns (Episode 45,165)

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Windy Wilson

Re: The Stupid It Burns (Episode 45,165)

Post by Windy Wilson »

I like the Sherman statue idea.

I think the statues all date from fifty to sixty years plus after the war because that was when they finally had money to order something from the foundry. Sherman saw to that.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Windy Wilson wrote:I like the Sherman statue idea.

I think the statues all date from fifty to sixty years plus after the war because that was when they finally had money to order something from the foundry. Sherman saw to that.
People seem to have forgotten that the folks who might have been inclined to build Rommel statues were bombed until the rubble bounced. Then they had their country partitioned. Then the occupying powers didn't leave for decades after, and in our case, we never really did.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Good point. Reconstruction ended and the returned rebels found a way to get around the post civil war amendments using Jim Crow. If the allies had left Germany completely in 1955, the situation would be similar and Germany would still be a problem today.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I am not a fan of an Confederate monuments; it was fundamentally an evil cause. This is not to say that I think everyone who fought for or supported the Confederacy was evil (good people do sometimes join bad causes for good reasons) - but the overall judgement is still the same. I see no reason to celebrate such a cause.

Having them at actual battlefield graveyards is about the most I would agree with.

I am also not in favor of mobs tearing down public structures. This has to be stopped as it goes to no good end. If the elected representatives want to take them down (and I would prefer that they did) - that is the only acceptable way of doing it.

BTW - do you know who else was against erecting monuments to the Confederacy? Try R.E.Lee - http://leefamilyarchive.org/papers/lett ... /v076.html
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

The issue is that I don't think that these guys could tell the difference between a statue of General Forest, a memorial to the dead, and a marker for a battle site. Hell I would not be surprised if they pulled down a union statue by mistake. Hopefully /pol/ can get some of those Lennin statues down.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Kommander wrote:The issue is that I don't think that these guys could tell the difference between a statue of General Forest, a memorial to the dead, and a marker for a battle site. Hell I would not be surprised if they pulled down a union statue by mistake. Hopefully /pol/ can get some of those Lennin statues down.
Formally Presented. The speaker lauded the present-day American spirit, a spirit of union with no feeling between the old north and south, which caused such bitterness and sorrow years ago. Both sides are now engaged in building up a better c ountry to live in, making their homes more comfortable, their cities more beautiful. She closed:

“On behalf of the daughters of the Confederacy, I present this fountain to the city of Helena as a token of our esteem toward our new home.”
Found here.

The Democrats are trying to get rid of that one now.

:roll:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2 ... hicago.php
...and defacing Lincoln statues now.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Someone recently painted "Tear it down" on a statue of Joan of Arc in NO
https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/08/17 ... -take/amp/
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D