small solar system help

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
HTRN

Re: small solar system help

Post by HTRN »

I think ov installs average about 5-7 dollars a watt. Diy can probably get it down to half that. He needs to figure out what kind of load hes gonna put on there - a single 4 foot led strip light from costco running an hour or two, you can cobble something together with a 100-200 watt panel, charge controller, deepcycle battery, and 1000 watt inverter, doing the same with a half dozen 160watt high bays? Not so much.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

Run a wire. And Pluto is and always will be a planet.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I know that Pluto identifies as a planet. Who am I to say otherwise?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Grab one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-Vol ... olar+panel

Add another panel or two, two deep cycle batteries and an inverter.
Precision

Post by Precision »

thanks guys.

Is it worth it to build panels from scratch for the savings or are the premade ones that much more durable reliable?

I am thinking getting 300 W of panels from DIY panels self assembled, then an inverter... and 2 deep cycle batteries run at 24 volt. But will plan out the system better once I get my stuff at home.

This will be a good test case for both he and I. He wants to build a bigger array later for SHTF and other items. Living on 10 acres surrounded by not a lot of residential makes it enticing for him.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Termite

Post by Termite »

How far is it from the house to the shed?
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
George guy

Post by George guy »

My Virginal Estonian Maid Caught Jimbo Squatting Under Nan's Prickly Hedge Munching Eggs.

Covered all the known dwarf planets.
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'
Precision

Post by Precision »

Termite wrote:How far is it from the house to the shed?
from the box to the shed, 100 yds or so.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Run as a 12 or 24vdc RV setup?

Shop craiglist and ebay for stray panels. Surprisingly cheap can be found at times.

Battery and controller could turn out to be the largest expense.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

My thoughts on PV (Keep in mind that I am an engineer on the NPV side, not a consulting engineer. However, we make a lot of components that go into PV systems, etc - mostly on the utility level rather than residential, but some of that too.) I do occasionally go vote on the NFPA stuff related to it too.

1. I am mostly not a fan, but it has it niches.
2. I would never put solar panels on any permanently occupied structure (like my house).
3. Putting it on remote or out buildings is probably okay (so your friend's application is potentially okay in my book).
4. Don't go too cheap, some of the crap from China and whatnot is dangerous IMHO.
5. Make sure you put an emergency disconnect that is well marked and accessible or the fire department will let your structure burn to the ground if the see solar panels on it (they may anyway, but at least you have a shot at them doing something.)