Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Netpackrat

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Netpackrat »

Siege arrived today, but I am going to try to save it for when I am traveling next week.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Understanding Radio, 1951 edition
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
evan price

Post by evan price »

Craig Wilson "Longmire" series
The tv show was great.
The books are better.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

When I got out of bed and headed off to the royal throne this morning I didn't feel like taking 3 whole steps back toward the bed to grab my book. So I grabbed the next in line since it was closer. Lawdog's book, I bought the paper one. I had to stop at page 50 and do something about breakfast. Suicide by 6 foot chickens. This stuff ought to be a movie, its hilarious.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Johnnyreb wrote:When I got out of bed and headed off to the royal throne this morning I didn't feel like taking 3 whole steps back toward the bed to grab my book. So I grabbed the next in line since it was closer. Lawdog's book, I bought the paper one. I had to stop at page 50 and do something about breakfast. Suicide by 6 foot chickens. This stuff ought to be a movie, its hilarious.
Got the African tales delivered to my Kindle last week. It's even better than Vol.1. :D
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
randy

Post by randy »

Just finished African Tales last night. The only problem with his books is that they are too short!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Jerry Pournelle passed away today (Friday) according to a post from his son at his site.

I've been a paying member there for a couple of years but had been just too busy to keep up. I grew up with his books, both fiction and non, and read his every Chaos Manor column in Byte magazine. I still think about what a different, and better place this world would be if his 'survival with style' guidelines had been followed even partway.

Rest in peace, sir, and thank you for all the great stories
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Sad news about Dr. Pournelle. It was ironic that I just read an article (can't recall where) a day or so ago, talking about Project Thor (aka Rods from God) as if it were back under consideration.

On the book front, just finished Silas Marner and C.S. Lewis's Out of the Silent Planet.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Recently reread the first three Monster Hunter books. Bought Monster Hunter Legion and Monster Hunter Nemesis. Damn that Correia. I read Legion one night after work. Went to bed verrrry late. Skipped a night and told myself I could limit myself. Read Nemesis after work. Went to bed verrry late again.

The books are engaging. I like the backstory on Franks. Some of the fights went over long for me, so I skimmed a bit. I'll read them again later and hope I can restrain myself to reasonable sittings.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Just started Monster Hunter Alpha (recently read Nemesis) and C.S. Lewis's That Hideous Strength (recently finished Perelandra), and also just finished Nick Cole's Soda Pop Soldier (that and CTRL-ALT-REVOLT! are both very good).
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!