Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Greg

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Greg »

Vonz90 wrote:If the consequences of a given action are obvious, can they really be called unintended?

https://academic.oup.com/qje/article-ab ... m=fulltext
Any time some person or system deliberately hides information from you, you (if you're not suicidal and the information is in any way important) make inferences to try to ferret the information out on your own.

It's natural and inevitable.

So now blacks who *don't* have a criminal record will have a harder time finding work, to the net (and INCREDIBLY ironic) benefit of whites who *do*.

They'd have been better off not hiding that info.

You see the same thing in the way the media reports crime. If they hide the race of the criminal, everyone, and I do mean *everyone* who isn't a congenital idiot will know the criminals are black.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
randy

Post by randy »

Greg wrote:You see the same thing in the way the media reports crime. If they hide the race of the criminal, everyone, and I do mean *everyone* who isn't a congenital idiot will know the criminals are black.
Another example is when the media reports on a politician with criminal troubles, and whether or not the media puts their party affiliation in the headline or first paragraph (R). Or buries it at the bottom of the story (D).
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

randy wrote:
Greg wrote:You see the same thing in the way the media reports crime. If they hide the race of the criminal, everyone, and I do mean *everyone* who isn't a congenital idiot will know the criminals are black.
Another example is when the media reports on a politician with criminal troubles, and whether or not the media puts their party affiliation in the headline or first paragraph (R). Or buries it at the bottom of the story (D).
You left out describes the politics of the person in a way to make them sound like a Republican when they are actually a Dem - and then never actually state their affiliation.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Tomorrow, i get to spend the morning getting the car inspected, and the afternoon having stiches removed from my mouth.

Joy. :|
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Went off road with the wife for the first time ever in her life. Nothing all that major but - Yeah - she is not a fan.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Greg wrote: You see the same thing in the way the media reports crime. If they hide the race of the criminal, everyone, and I do mean *everyone* who isn't a congenital idiot will know the criminals are black.
Yes but how many times are you going to read an article where the perpetrators' names are things like DeQuan, LaTosha, Ja'miya, or Tereon and not know the ethnicity?
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Greg

Post by Greg »

evan price wrote:
Greg wrote: You see the same thing in the way the media reports crime. If they hide the race of the criminal, everyone, and I do mean *everyone* who isn't a congenital idiot will know the criminals are black.
Yes but how many times are you going to read an article where the perpetrators' names are things like DeQuan, LaTosha, Ja'miya, or Tereon and not know the ethnicity?
Or when they don't use names at all, just refer to the 'youths'.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

The .50 cal myth reared it's ugly head again today (conversation at work).
No prohibition exists in the Geneva Conventions, any other law of war treaty, nor in any other part of the law of war on the use of weapons such as the 23mm ZU-23 or the .50 caliber machinegun as antipersonnel weapons.....Current U.S. doctrine providing for the use of the .50 caliber machinegun as an antipersonnel weapon is consistent with the law of war obligations of the United States. No treaty language exists (either generally or specifically) to support a limitation on its use against personnel, and its widespread, longstanding use in this role suggests that such antipersonnel employment is the customary practice of nations.
Linky
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

My grandson is 4 days late. I'd accuse my daughter of hoarding, but she seems grumpier about it than I am. :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I liked this video a lot. Some of his build methods are slightly less redneck than mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrRi8wVQ5fU
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop