Newest Minion and Handguns

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
First Shirt

Newest Minion and Handguns

Post by First Shirt »

So, the two elder Minions want Ruger LW SR1911 Commander length 1911's for graduation presents, in June of 2018. Not a problem, got the first one in the works, and the second one is shortly behind it.

And then, the youngest (not the littlest, despite appearances) announces that her favorite handgun is the Ruger Vaquero (old style) in .45 Colt, with bird's head grips. Her favorite load is the 300 gr. WFN bullet loaded to 900 fps, and she can shoot it almost as well as I can. (Five shots in a 6-inch circle at 25 yards). And that's her preferred graduation present (five years down the road).

That's what she wants for graduation. Should I get if for her, or try to talk her into something more practical?
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Weetabix

Re: Newest Minion and Handguns

Post by Weetabix »

If she still loves it then, get her what she loves. Practical will come later, but she'll think about you whenever and wherever she shoots it.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:If she still loves it then, get her what she loves. Practical will come later, but she'll think about you whenever and wherever she shoots it.
If it's truly her favorite and not just a passing fancy, I strongly agree.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Seems like it's a special occasion, right of passage purchase for you. In that case, sentiment is of primary importance. Practicallity is in the eye of the beholder (and receiver of the gift).

My old model Vaquero 45 was bought on a whim and thought of a quick profit. It showed up at a great price during a very low point in the economy. That idea went by the side quickly after a couple range trips. It will be one of the last to go if I'm forced to clean out the safe. It's a happy gun for me to shoot and one of my several kept loaded and at the ready 24/7.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
BDK

Post by BDK »

If its "Old Friend" its Old Friend.

I can shoot most any handgun I've picked up, equally poorly. A stage or two and my SC times w a revolver are the same as with my open gun.

But my Single Seven feels quite special in my hands.

Proficiency is proficiency, and if you find a Single Six in 32 H&R or a Single- Seven in 327, Minion will have a good carry piece
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Oh, no! I wouldn't dare! If I gave her a .32, ANY .32, she'd probably cry her eyes out, and then never speak to me again! She wants one just like Papa's. Hey, I figure that if she's put the time and effort into learning to shoot it, even with the stout handloads, she's by-golly earned it.

It is, no kidding, her favorite handgun to shoot. She likes the 1911s, and has fun with the .22s, but when she's done messing around, she'll ask to drag that Vaquero out, after asking if I've got any of "her" loads for it. The Bisleys, not so much, the grips are just to big for her little hands, but that bird's-head grip fits her just fine, even if she does have to use her support hand's thumb to cock the hammer.

Besides which, I can see her, years down the road, living in an open-carry state, and packing that baby cannon on a regular basis, and the mental picture that calls up puts a grin on my face that you couldn't remove with a belt sander!

(I know, I know! I am such a soft touch!!!)
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Greg

Post by Greg »

Sounds like you just convinced yourself. ;)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

The grandpa part was already convinced, just had to convince the skeptical shooter, I suppose.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
randy

Post by randy »

At least half of a combat mindset/goblin avoidance is confidence. If she is confident in her equipment and ability to use it, it vastly decreases the likelihood that she will ever need to draw, let alone fire it outside the range.

Aware goblins will avoid her for easier pay. Unaware ones will find a need to be elsewhere when looking down the muzzle of a .45 held by someone that obviously is comfortable with it. And if they are from extreme left side of the bell curve, the rounds will hit where they do the most good because she knows the gun will function and the rounds will go where she wants them to.

Along those lines I refer to what I call the "Zen of Concealed Carry". The calm, confidence and and peace of mind that comes from knowledge of the fact that I can absolutely, positively, Mozambique the Mother Fracker if I need to.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

First Shirt wrote:The grandpa part was already convinced, just had to convince the skeptical shooter, I suppose.
Sheesh. You act like she'll only ever have the one gun. :lol: Make the second one you give her the practical one.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D