Wife gun suggestions?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Gunnuts

Re: Wife gun suggestions?

Post by Gunnuts »

Vonz90 wrote:Start her with a Desert Eagle in 50AE, then when she switches to anything else it will seem light and easy.
And that's the truth. :P LOL
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Maybe I'll cut down a Mosin and replace the stock with a pistol grip. :geek:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:Surprised about the 686.... it's heavy enough that .38 is really gentle.
I was, too. Given that she'd shot an SP101 years before with no trouble, I'm thinking it was the surprise of the trigger and the fact that she had not shot for so long.
Ah then keep at that one, help her get comfortable. Maybe get some snap caps and let her dry fire for a while, just to build familiarity and put her at ease.

Because something like a 3" K frame (38 or 357) seems just about perfect. Not too big, so she can always have it with her, not a punitive airweight but not a boat anchor either. I imagine recoil *will* be an issue, so maybe some of the new defense rounds they've developed for short-barreled revolvers might be just the ticket. They should be lower recoil than 'standard' ammo.
I think you might be going about things a little backwards. Smaller semis need much stiffer recoil springs (goes double for blowback), plus have less slide surface to grip. Recipe for frustration. Go a little bigger maybe, and (in case you aren't already) stick with 9mm instead of .40, for recoil and recoil spring purposes. A medium sized polymer 9 might work......

That and as SA suggested, racking technique can make up for a lot.
I'll try a little bigger. She was shooting .380. I don't own .40. Thinking back, I can't remember if she actually tried the CZ 75 PCR. That might be the ticket for grip and weight, though the slide is small.

Several people have mentioned the racking technique. I hadn't thought of that, so hadn't tried it.
I think my mental picture of what you have is confused somehow, sorry.

I'd be sorely tempted to look at the Sig 320 or 250 if you like DA revolver-like triggers. Not too heavy but not light enough to have recoil be a problem, available in several configurations (full size/carry/compact/subcompact) and in each of those configurations in IIRC 3 different grip widths/circumferences. Should be something for everyone, and people seem to like it well enough. In 9mm it should he fairly easy to work the slide (not blowback, or the more heavily sprung 40/357 SIG).
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Not sure how to deal with the fear of the blast and recoil, but you might want to consider failures due to limp-wristing an automatic.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Cobar wrote:Not sure how to deal with the fear of the blast and recoil, but you might want to consider failures due to limp-wristing an automatic.
I think that's just from not having shot for so long. I probably need to start her back on .22 and work up.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:I think my mental picture of what you have is confused somehow, sorry.
Drop by sometime. I'll drag it all out, and we'll go shooting. ;)
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

also get her to check out the armed and feminine channel on youtube. She did some on picking a gun for women as well as ccw options. Good channel.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
BDK

Post by BDK »

If it's in budget, a FN 57 is very low recoil, and easy to rack. A PMR 30 might also be an OK choice.

I've had several women want to load pistols backwards - admittedly I think they were more creative types. Revolvers made more sense to them.

An SP101 in 327 is a great choice. If you find one and don't want it, tell me and I'll buy it. (I really like the cartridge)

If there was a center fire twin to a 22 mag, loaded with powder for pistols, I think it would make a great elderly/petite lady caliber.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

SKB beat me to it. A lot of .32 options out there to consider. Was it PawPaw who's wife took a hankering to an old I-frame 32 for her personal carry? Or was it an old Colt 32?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:I think my mental picture of what you have is confused somehow, sorry.
Drop by sometime. I'll drag it all out, and we'll go shooting. ;)
I like that idea, but you're decently far away. :)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr