Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Netpackrat

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Netpackrat »

Went to Cabela's yesterday, bought 4 boxes of ammo. Get to the cashier, and am asked if I want to "round up for conservation?" I reply, "it's already taxed for that, and you want more?" Guy gives me this dumb look and says "there's no tax on ammo." Sells the stuff and doesn't know there is a big federal excise tax on it.

At this point in my life I have lost count of how many times I have heard or read that nobody minds paying the excise tax "because conservation."
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

Lived in Hawaii, Osan ROK in the summer,TDY to Blythevill AFB AR, Hurlburt and Eglin on the Florida panhandle in the summer....

The most miserable heat and humidity I ever experienced was detasseling corn in Iowa the summer before I went active duty.

Contracted to do 5 acres. Then took on 3 adjacent acres from the plot next door when the guy contracted to do it gave up and quit showing up. Took about a week and a half. Thunderstorms every night, clear skies and bright sun and mid to high 90's every day. Ankle deep mud and no wind getting down in between the rows as I walked down them (but the sun was high enough so there was little to no shade). Knocked off a couple of pounds of mud from my boots at the end of every row.

I internalized the concept of the siesta at that time. Hit field as soon as it was light enough to see, worked to 11 or 1200, home for lunch and a nap until about 1600 or so and then hit the field until it got too dark.

For me, comfort level hits a wall in 80's with high humidity, but can take up to a 100 or so with low or no Humidity (CF. Dyess and Goodfellow AFB's)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

randy wrote: The most miserable heat and humidity I ever experienced was detasseling corn in Iowa the summer before I went active duty.

The Darlin' Daughter, and her step-sister (they're two weeks apart in age) contracted for 8 acres the first year we lived in Iowa. Took the whole family almost a week to get it done, but they were the first crew to finish their patch. Next year, they found other summer jobs!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I was born and raised in the Ozarks, where Weetabix now lives. The heat and humidity was just something you lived with. I much prefer the climate along Colorado's Front Range, where it may get warm, but humidity is usually quite low due to the high desert environment. We're now in the summer monsoon, humidity is higher than usual, but temps have dropped a bunch. Feels great. I cannot go back to the Ozarks during summer--I was there years ago, it was 113 F with 90+% humidity. I thought I was melting.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Grew up and now live in St. Louis, used to humidity I am.

Hottest summer I ever spent was a deployment in Kuwait / NAG doing a Coastal Warfare mission. Weeks of over 120F and a lot of days over 130F. Humid when the wind from seaward and sand storms when it was from landward. That was a lot of suck. You do get used to it of such, in late September one evening I was chilly (with goosebumps even) when the temp was like 98F and a light breeze.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

If the consequences of a given action are obvious, can they really be called unintended?

https://academic.oup.com/qje/article-ab ... m=fulltext
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Depends on who the consequences are obvious to, doesn't it?

Just because it's obvious to anyone with two functional brain cells, doesn't mean that it's obvious to the people who came up with the scheme in the first place.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

First Shirt wrote:Depends on who the consequences are obvious to, doesn't it?

Just because it's obvious to anyone with two functional brain cells, doesn't mean that it's obvious to the people who came up with the scheme in the first place.
^ This. I think most people who come up with well-intentioned, simple fixes to a perceived injustice are actually unable to consider likely consequences. It's the history of most government social programs that they make something worse than what they were trying to fix. Don't know whether this one was a government mandate or a SJW mandate, but it doesn't really matter.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:I've heard some people here in MO talk about the humidity and how it makes it feel hotter..... No. It's much drier here than NJ. NJ may not be Houston, but it's still substantially more humid than St Louis.
I was in LV recently. Over 100, but dry. It felt more bearable than here. I guess it's all about what you're used to.
Summer evenings here in MO, after the sun goes down and the peak heat of the day is past, are absolutely exquisite. It's the lower humidity. You only get a few days a *year* in NJ where the evenings are that nice.
Have you had any of the mornings yet where the humidity is low, temps in the low 70's, sky bright blue, a few fluffy white clouds, and a light breeze? Those are heaven to me.
I've noticed and enjoyed them, but the evenings stand out to me because I'm just not that much of a morning person. My wife adores mornings like that though, and it's nice how many of them we get.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr