Wife gun suggestions?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Weetabix

Wife gun suggestions?

Post by Weetabix »

My wife is little and doesn't have strong hands. And, she's not much interested in shooting. But I'd like her to have a gun.

Right now, I have one gun she can rack the slide on: Remington RM380. She shot it this weekend, and hated the trigger. It was OK dry firing, but it appears to have gotten heavier with a loaded magazine in it.

I'd bought a sack of pistols for her and the kids to feel before they chose. Here's what she's manipulated and found she can't handle the slide on: Keltec PF9, Taurus PT738, Kahr CM9 & PM9, Kahr P380, CZ 75 B PCR (kinda too big anyway). I didn't try her on the bigger stuff.

So, I've been thinking about a Sig P238, but I don't like the SAO on it - I'd prefer point and click functionality.

I have a little 38 revolver I could have her try.

Any other suggestions? Fire away!
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Re: Wife gun suggestions?

Post by randy »

Find a range that rents a variety of guns and have her try several. That's how Darlin' Daughter settled on a Glock 26 as her to be acquired carry piece. maybe a Glock 42 (.380)?

Normally I'd recommend trying a Browning Hi Power or clone (Darlin' Daughter loves mine (MINE DAMMIT!)) based on the opinions of many (such as Kim) that it works well for many women. But their prices are way up there these days, and It sounds like she isn't interested in a full size piece (not to mention the slide issues).

Is there any possibility that some trigger work on the RM380 would help?

A Beretta or other type of tip up pistol in .380 to avoid slide racking issues?

Father In Law ended up with a J frame and +Ps because of slide manipulation issues.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

When The Boss and I first got married, she had never fired a gun in her life. One night we heard coyotes howling up on the hill above the house, and she inquired as to what her options were if they got closer. (We lived about three miles past the police jurisdiction sign.) I said "Well, if they get into the yard, shoot them." Interesting conversation followed.

One day, getting ready for a gun show, she asked what I was going to do with the Colt Trooper Mk III that I was packing up, to sell/trade. When I told her, she said "No, don't get rid of it, I like it, it's pretty! " Said that if she'd learn to shoot it, she could have it. She worked up to .357 Mag, 125 gr. JHP loads (at 25 yards, she could shoot the buttons off your shirt). And all was well, until she got her CCW, and discovered that it wouldn't fit in the glove box or center console of her car. (It had a 6-inch bbl, and she was driving a '92 El Dorado.) Went through a BUNCH of 9mm autos, and she couldn't hit the ground with one unless she dropped it, and she'd probably have had to drop it twice.

Went full circle, and now she's back to the .357 Mag revolvers. A Ruger GP-100, two Security Sixes, and a couple of smallish 5-shot .357 snubbies.

Find what she (a) likes, (b) can handle under recoil, and (c) can shoot well. Don't get too hung up on caliber (especially 9mm auto vs. .38/357 revolver.) Doesn't matter what YOU like, its what SHE likes, and what she can shoot well, comfortably. A .22 LR, in hand, is better than a .44 Mag. at home on the nightstand.

JMHO, YMMV, IRDDU.

(and kudos for getting her in the game in the first place!)
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I saw some Mk II and Mk III Refinished Belgian Hi Powers at Aim Surplus. $599 IIRC, or thereabouts.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

First Shirt wrote:Went full circle, and now she's back to the .357 Mag revolvers. A Ruger GP-100, two Security Sixes, and a couple of smallish 5-shot .357 snubbies.
I had her shoot a S&W 686, single action, with 38 spl in it. Much screaming and flinching. :D I think I can get her over that, though. About 6 years ago, she fired an SP101 with 38 in it, and didn't mind it.
Find what she (a) likes, (b) can handle under recoil, and (c) can shoot well. Don't get too hung up on caliber (especially 9mm auto vs. .38/357 revolver.) Doesn't matter what YOU like, its what SHE likes, and what she can shoot well, comfortably. A .22 LR, in hand, is better than a .44 Mag. at home on the nightstand.
I understand all that. I'm actually pretty good about setting my preferences aside. I was trying to let her try everything I could think of that she might be OK with. The slide racking is the problem. One preference I'll have trouble setting aside: I don't feel comfortable with a .22 semi auto, because if it jams up, I'm not sure she'd do well clearing under stress.

"Honey... unfortunately, I need to buy a bunch more revolvers so we can find something you'll be comfortable with." :geek:

The Beretta Tomcat looks interesting - tip up barrel, so no racking. .32acp. The Cheetahs seem to run north of $800, if you can find them.
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

The Sig P238 is hard to ignore if racking the slide is an issue. Lady at the shop racked the slide with one finger using the rear site. Outside of that, it sounds like a .22 revolver with a decent trigger is the order of the day.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

A lady at work has the Sig, so I can borrow it sometime.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Is the technique for racking a slide the problem? She isn't just using one hand to rack the slide, but pushing the holding hand/arm forward while pulling with the other hand/arm? A lot of people just use their hands/wrists without using the power of their arms too.

Plus, if you can, find an experience female shooter since they have experiences' that you and I will never know about. Stick them together and discuss options.
Last edited by scipioafricanus on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
First Shirt wrote:Went full circle, and now she's back to the .357 Mag revolvers. A Ruger GP-100, two Security Sixes, and a couple of smallish 5-shot .357 snubbies.
I had her shoot a S&W 686, single action, with 38 spl in it. Much screaming and flinching. :D I think I can get her over that, though. About 6 years ago, she fired an SP101 with 38 in it, and didn't mind it.
I understand all that. I'm actually pretty good about setting my preferences aside. I was trying to let her try everything I could think of that she might be OK with. The slide racking is the problem. One preference I'll have trouble setting aside: I don't feel comfortable with a .22 semi auto, because if it jams up, I'm not sure she'd do well clearing under stress.

"Honey... unfortunately, I need to buy a bunch more revolvers so we can find something you'll be comfortable with." :geek:

The Beretta Tomcat looks interesting - tip up barrel, so no racking. .32acp. The Cheetahs seem to run north of $800, if you can find them.
Surprised about the 686.... it's heavy enough that .38 is really gentle.

I think you might be going about things a little backwards. Smaller semis need much stiffer recoil springs (goes double for blowback), plus have less slide surface to grip. Recipe for frustration. Go a little bigger maybe, and (in case you aren't already) stick with 9mm instead of .40, for recoil and recoil spring purposes. A medium sized polymer 9 might work......

That and as SA suggested, racking technique can make up for a lot.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Jered

Post by Jered »

9mm Ruger LCR?

My mom got one of those and she likes it.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.