Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
slowpoke

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by slowpoke »

Just bought Lawdog's book on kindle. It hit top paid kindle book on Amazon :D
I hadnt read much of his older content, so enjoying it even more. I highly recommend.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Part way thru "Guns, Germs and Steel." Will get back to it soon as I finish the latest Brad Thor book that just came out (Use of Force).
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

To Kill A Mockingbird
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Just finished Vietnam: A History, by Karnow. Had to force myself through the last 50-60 pages. Did you know that the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution was actually Goldwater's fault? Pore Lyndon, he was just worried about having his right (political) flank in the air....

About to start We Were Soldiers Once...And Young, and re-reading the Pacific naval operational parts of Wouk's War and Remembrance. I've read The Winds of War and War and Remembrance nearly as many times as I've read Lord of the Rings.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
toad

Post by toad »

The African Law dog is coming out in August and this time I got in on order.
I've started "Blenhiem: Battle for Europe, How two men stopped the French." By Charles Spencer. I figured what the hey 300 years ago......sigh. Narcissists, people inbreeding by marrying first cousins, religious fanaticisms, A King who couldn't stand to have people smarter than himself as advisors, ....same old same old in different clothing....Fascinating Jim.
Even fantasy gets its licks in. "The weres, mages, demons, fey, and etc. are leaving California, it is impossible to make money out there with all the rules, regulations, an punitive taxation.
As a side note: I'm going to keep on using Kindle unlimited but I'm not ordering things from Amazon online any more. They screw up the orders and they'll use the US Postal service and If my local post office get's a hold of it, it will never get delivered.
randy

Post by randy »

Just started the Lawdog books. Africa book pre-ordered

I recognize some so far, others I haven't read before. The mark of a good storyteller is that I don't mind re-reading his stuff. The journey is half the fun even if you do know how it ends.

Found a place to download Jeff Cooper's Commentaries from 93-06 in PDF format. (http://myweb.cebridge.net/mkeithr/Jeff/)

Will carry them on the tablet for times when I just need something short to read without getting too into a story.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Just finished Monster Hunter: Siege and Straight Outta Tombstone.

Now working on Edward Luttwak's Grand Strategy of the Byantine Empire.

Next on the list is David Glantz Colossus Reborn: the Red Army at War, 1941-1943
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Langenator wrote:Just finished Monster Hunter: Siege
Just finished Nemesis.

Franks may be a "good guy", but man, what an asshole. :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

Picked an old favorite off the shelf today. Elizabeth Moon, Sheepfarmer's Daughter. First book of a trilogy about the creation of a paladin. Always wanted to see that one turned into a movie. But I guess a story with very little swearing and no graphic sex doesn't have much chance these days.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Johnnyreb wrote:Picked an old favorite off the shelf today. Elizabeth Moon, Sheepfarmer's Daughter. First book of a trilogy about the creation of a paladin. Always wanted to see that one turned into a movie. But I guess a story with very little swearing and no graphic sex doesn't have much chance these days.
I've got those too. It was actually quite good, unlike a lot of books written only for the purpose of making the main protagonist a woman/minority/whatever. Paks was real.