Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Rich

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Rich »

Book Alert! I'm a little over halfway through Kay Frydenborg's A Dog in the Cave
https://www.amazon.com/Dog-Cave-Wolves- ... n+the+cave, and so far I'm thinking it's merely fascinating. It's about the co-evolution of dogs and humans and posits that dogs have had and continue to have as much influence on human evolution as we do on them. It also talks about the differences between the gray wolf ancestor and the dog, and the similarity in kind and timing in evolutionary changes between humans and dogs. The kindle edition is only $10 bucks at Amazon, and the hardcover is slightly less that $14.

Oh, and it speculates that dogs were the reason that Neanderthals went extinct and we didn't,......... yet.

Very readable.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
evan price

Post by evan price »

Started Repairman Jack.
People have said how dark and edgy the series is.
I'm like, hmm, i've played Call of Cthulhu for years. I'm still waiting for the bad parts.
So far I'm in book four of the regular series and pre-read the three prequel books.
Entertaining.
Also starting the Longmire books this week on vacation and Sandman Slim series, Dead Things seriesb and another half dozen or so.
Finished the last Spenser mystery in the series. Sad the author died.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Rich wrote:Book Alert! I'm a little over halfway through Kay Frydenborg's A Dog in the Cave
https://www.amazon.com/Dog-Cave-Wolves- ... n+the+cave, and so far I'm thinking it's merely fascinating. It's about the co-evolution of dogs and humans and posits that dogs have had and continue to have as much influence on human evolution as we do on them. It also talks about the differences between the gray wolf ancestor and the dog, and the similarity in kind and timing in evolutionary changes between humans and dogs. The kindle edition is only $10 bucks at Amazon, and the hardcover is slightly less that $14.

Oh, and it speculates that dogs were the reason that Neanderthals went extinct and we didn't,......... yet.

Very readable.
Okay, I'm convinced. Ordered the hard back and the Kindle, just because. If it wasn't for dogs, horses and Minions, there wouldn't be any point to life. :lol: :lol: :lol:
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Just finished To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth. Recommended.

I had started this a while ago, and it got covered up in the pile at some time. I just finished the 2nd half. I may need to reread the first half again. I enjoyed his descriptions of Baby in his African hunting stories. And the stories themselves. His passion for buffalo was pretty intense.

Starting Jeff Cooper's Fireworks now. Not far in yet.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

First Shirt wrote:
Rich wrote:Book Alert! I'm a little over halfway through Kay Frydenborg's A Dog in the Cave

Very readable.
Okay, I'm convinced. Ordered the hard back and the Kindle, just because. If it wasn't for dogs, horses and Minions, there wouldn't be any point to life. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Try to find the Gordon Dickson short story "By New Hearth Fires" if you can.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2017 ... first.html

I will be reading this one it comes out. Some of his adventures read like Huckleberry Finn in South Africa.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Rich

Post by Rich »

TheArmsman wrote:http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2017 ... first.html

I will be reading this one it comes out. Some of his adventures read like Huckleberry Finn in South Africa.
The e-book of The LawDog Files is out at Amazon for $4.99. These are stories set in Texas. I guess we will have to wait for Vol. 2 for South Africa. I went ahead and bought it and am up to chapter 13.

Good read so far.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Just finished that one, and already have the next one on pre-order from Amazon.

Really good stuff!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

First Shirt wrote:Just finished that one, and already have the next one on pre-order from Amazon.

Really good stuff!
Same here.

Too bad there was no video of the pink gorilla. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Recently finished Monster Hunter Grunge and Sinners. I enjoyed them for the most part, but I am really looking forward to Siege.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop