Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
MiddleAgedKen

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Vonz, I'm looking at a book called On Time and In Full from Productivity Press. I talk about delivery performance a lot in my B2B marketing and CRM courses. I may grab it. If it's good I'll let you know.

Just finished Ambrose's Citizen Soldiers and Sarah Hoyt's Darkship Thieves, and have started volume 2 of The Gulag Archipelago.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Greg

Post by Greg »

Jered wrote:
dfwmtx wrote:I've only read "Red Shirts" and the short story of his in the "Black Tide Rising" short story collection. What's the most odious Scalzi works, the ones that would get me on this "Oh, that's why he sucks!" page?
Like I said, only read two bits of his, but I'm impressed by his work on a technical level. Few people every write a decent 2nd person POV, and doing an entire story in dialog with no other narration or exposition is pretty good too.
I've enjoyed his works, but, because of his activities related to Sad Puppies, I'm not buying any more.
He's an excellent story teller, and I've enjoyed every single thing of his I've read.

He's also, as a human being, about on the level of a burning latrine.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Greg

Post by Greg »

Just reread Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon again.

I forgot how *funny* it is.

Every time I read it I find something I can't remember noticing before.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Jered

Post by Jered »

Greg wrote: He's an excellent story teller, and I've enjoyed every single thing of his I've read.

He's also, as a human being, about on the level of a burning latrine.
Yep. So, I have no desire to buy any more of his work.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Anything by Scalzi in a collection is enough to keep me from buying it.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Finished Volume 2 of The Gulag Archipelago, now reading Karnow's Vietnam: A History and Hornfischer's The Fleet at Flood Tide.

Much like Sheehan in A Bright Shining Lie, Karnow treats the communists with kid gloves, even though Karnow on the whole is something more like balanced. I think the Frankfurt School must have done its work well in the history department. Still, it's pretty good.

I got Vietnam at Half Price Books; on the same trip I snagged a 50th anniversary edition of Bill Mauldin's Up Front. The bookplate indicated it came from the collection of a local politician of note who is currently a state appeals court judge. :)
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote:A short treat for the MHI fans:

http://www.baen.com/Chapters/9781481482 ... 482691.htm
Did i ever tell you guys my idea for a fanfic fusing Tremors with Monster Hunter International ?

The idea of Burt Gummer killing oogily boogilys seemed natural.. :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Just finished Moon Is A Harsh Mistress again, since it seemed time to revisit it.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I finished the Discworld books a while back, all 41 of them. Sometimes it seemed as if Pratchett was up against a deadline; I read more about the guy, and I guess he literally was against one. Sad, and gone too soon. I recently read Pratchett and Gaiman's Good Omens, it was okay. Then I read Gaiman's American Gods, it was just okay as well. Rather like Pratchett's Small Gods, in that gods wane without believers. Presently rereading Gene Wolfe's Wizard Knight books.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Jered

Post by Jered »

HTRN wrote: The idea of Burt Gummer killing oogily boogilys seemed natural.. :ugeek:
Only if they break into the wrong goddamned rec room.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.