Histrionic Mom Goes 3rd World. To Hell With The Kids - Link Fixed

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Jered

Re: Histrionic Mom Goes 3rd World. To Hell With The Kids - Link Fixed

Post by Jered »

skb12172 wrote:We had 5 or 6 exchange students from Ecuador when I was in school. All of them were trying to figure out how to stay here permanently.
Step 1: Get married.

Step 2: File for adjustment of status before F-1/J-1 expires.*

Step 3: Profit.

*As long as you have a pending adjustment of status petition in the United States, you are not considered to have accrued unlawful presence.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

That would work. My bigger point is that none of them had any desire to go home. Not one.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

MiddleAgedKen wrote:She also failed to reflect that if things go pear-shaped in Ecuador, her family is going to have an immense bulls-eye on it.
Theres a fair number of retirement comunities in South America aimed squarely at Americans, because you can live like a rockstar on a typical ss check. These places are hands off to the local narcos, because they know bad things happening to gringos invite unwanted attention. That said, the average large city in SA has a murder rate that makes Detroit look like a paragon of safety.

Frankly, if you're gonna go down there, go to uruguay, as its mostly white (better chance of blending in) has little interest for the drug trade, has been relatively stable economically (for South America, at least), and is a popular destination for retirees, so theres an expat community.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

It actually sounds very nice.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguay
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Concur on Uruguay.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

When I was working for a contractor for Blackwater, I knew several people who maintained villas in Costa Rica. They would keep a rotation going, so somebody was always living there. Was a good way of living outside the US on the cheap so they could stay outside the US for a year.

Do not remember any of them having problems with the locals.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

TheArmsman wrote:When I was working for a contractor for Blackwater, I knew several people who maintained villas in Costa Rica. They would keep a rotation going, so somebody was always living there. Was a good way of living outside the US on the cheap so they could stay outside the US for a year.

Do not remember any of them having problems with the locals.
They wouldn't, without sufficient incentive. What I'm saying is that in the event of breakdown, tribe will matter. People without long-term tribal ties will be vulnerable. Still, as noted above, Uruguay is attractive.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Yeah, a good chunk of the employees where i work are from various places south of the border. One former employee was from Uruguay, and was the only curly haired redhead "hispanic" ive ever seen. :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN wrote:Yeah, a good chunk of the employees where i work are from various places south of the border. One former employee was from Uruguay, and was the only curly haired redhead "hispanic" ive ever seen. :lol:
Uruguay is about 90% white (mostly Spanish and Italian). Ecuador is about 50% white.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I'm sure it will work SO well for her when the Ecuadorian government does something she doesn't like and she protests......