Economy 9mm AR build

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
glenik

Re: Economy 9mm AR build

Post by glenik »

Their heavy pistol buffer for these things is still a premium component. But, it seems everybody else also figured out the extra length and weight needed for these carbines. I learned a lot about buffers while I was planning this thing. It's a component I had never given a second of thought to.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

randy wrote:As soon as I read "promag" I knew what was coming. Promag has been manufacturing crappy magazines since at least the 80's. I was fortunate enough to learn from someone elses experience to avoid them.
Please
Remember
Our
Magazines
Are
Garbage
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
glenik

Post by glenik »

**UPDATE**

The guys at BRDC read my review and said I could send my bolt back to put the logo on it. I did, and they did! They even customized it with my last name.

Super cool and great customer service!
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Nice review and nice looking carbine.
I built three AR9. The first I use the Joe Bob Outfitters lower, which is made by New Frontier.
I can't say that I had trouble other than a bad buffer tube, but I did try a few different buffers. I found that it ran the best with the Rock River 9mm buffer. The upper I started with was a PSA with a front sight tower mounted at carbine length. It came with a slick side upper, which I replaced with a Aero upper without a forward assist.
IMG_5693.JPG
My second build I used a complete PSA upper and lower. The upper had a front sight tower mounted at mid-length. It had a slick side upper that I replaced with an Aero upper with no forwards assist.
IMG_5977.JPG
The third build I just finished. Just a complete PSA lower with Magpul furniture and complete upper with rail. The upper came with a standard upper. This one complete with sight and mag only cost $715.
IMG_0020.JPG
I've been using the Korean extended mags and have been very happy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

The quarter circle 10 receivers are real nice, and are also available as sets(glock small mag, glock large and colt).

And oh, CMMG is coming out with a 45acp carbine, neither straight blowback nor DI rotary lockup, but some kind of recoil unlocking mechanism. Makes me wonder if they'll offer a SBR 460 Rowland. :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

HTRN wrote:The quarter circle 10 receivers are real nice, and are also available as sets(glock small mag, glock large and colt).

And oh, CMMG is coming out with a 45acp carbine, neither straight blowback nor DI rotary lockup, but some kind of recoil unlocking mechanism. Makes me wonder if they'll offer a SBR 460 Rowland. :ugeek:
The CMMG Guard .45s are coming in crazy high, MSRPs from $1,300-1,600:

https://www.cmmginc.com/product-category/rifles/45-acp/
Eppur si muove--Galileo
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

1300 is crazy high?!

Quarter circle ten is getting 450 for matched receiver sets, and Ron Williams was getting 1200 for one of his 45acp rifles that take grease gun mags
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Tennessee Arms has just announced the per sale on their TAC-9 polymer lower for $89.95. It takes Glock mags and has a lifetime warranty.
I may have to build another gun.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote:1300 is crazy high?!

Quarter circle ten is getting 450 for matched receiver sets, and Ron Williams was getting 1200 for one of his 45acp rifles that take grease gun mags
People are spoiled by cheap guns/parts made possible by economies of scale... Something that's non-standard and/or much lower volume is usually going to cost more.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

PSA's Memorial Day Sale email is out--they show a 9mm AR for $599.99:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-9 ... nt=11%3a00
Eppur si muove--Galileo