Heading to LA (no, not the one with New Orleans in it).

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Precision

Heading to LA (no, not the one with New Orleans in it).

Post by Precision »

Since I have (choose) to accompany the Girlfriend to an NRA taping in LA, I need to know the rule for self defense in CA and LA specifically.

A buddy told me any folder with a blade shorter than 3.0 inches is fine. Need to confirm that.

How about fixed blades open carry?

Anything else?

Standards for self defense use of said items?

And yes I said Girlfriend. She is a widow. Her husband got murdered 8 years ago by someone who was stalking her. Google her and her story. Nikki Goeser. So far we make a great couple, not the least of which is we know the other still loves their late spouse and always will.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
skb12172

Re: Heading to LA (no, not the one with New Orleans in it).

Post by skb12172 »

I didn't know you were dating anyone. Congratulations.

Edit: Googled her. Quite a story. It appears that she and I have a preference for revolvers in common. Obviously, a woman of great taste and intelligence. :D
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Carrying for the explicit purpose as a weapon is not allowed. You can carry a sheath knife openly on a belt but be prepared for some extra attention. Since you can carry any size non automatic folder you want I would go that route and its what I do.
Precision

Post by Precision »

When I googled it, the internet says LA county has a 3 inch blade maximum.

It also appears that the GF is having an issue with having me as the BF (or something). A convoluted tale, but I no longer need to go to LA as someone has put it in her head that we are moving too quickly. This despite the NRA paying for me to go (at her request) and the flight leaving tomorrow... Oh the joys of dating women.

But if you date logical people (men) you are gay, so... We will see how it turns out over the next few weeks. She is awesome minus this (little) issue. We will see how little it ends up being. sigh.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Just make sure you stand up for your dignity and your needs. Otherwise, you look weak, she won't respect you, and she'll leave anyway.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Yeah, it, like all relationships gets complicated. Part of the problem is I am too hard and too rigid (a known issue about my personality). But we made up. Still not going to LA, which is a mixed curse / blessing.

We will see long term, but I really like this one. Running 85 /15 and that is a pretty damn good mix, not to mention it is early and intense so there are bound to be teething issues.
BDK

Post by BDK »

A) Women will sabotage each other's relationships for sport - which you have to know at this point.

B) You may both be prone to latch on. My friend's widow certainly felt that way for a few years.

C) A chef being rigid and demanding? I've never heard of such a thing :o
Precision

Post by Precision »

BDK wrote:A) Women will sabotage each other's relationships for sport - which you have to know at this point.
yeah, this one is being sabotaged by an ex (hers), but we are working past it.
BDK wrote:B) You may both be prone to latch on. My friend's widow certainly felt that way for a few years.
There is some truth here. There is also a lot of gold here if we can properly see the gold to dross ratio
BDK wrote:C) A chef being rigid and demanding? I've never heard of such a thing :o
Thanks, that made me LAUGH. And I don't resemble that ... almost completely.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Why is her ex even a factor??? He should be a non-player, non-issue in your relationship.

I will say that in the posts where you have described your romantic activities, you come across as a Nice Guy. That is death with modern women. They will use and abuse you mercilessly.

Here, this might help. At the least, it will be food for thought.

http://www.rooshv.com/the-dick-move
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

BDK wrote: A chef being rigid and demanding? I've never heard of such a thing :o
Its borderline ridiculous :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt