Robbery--What Would You Do?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Darrell

Robbery--What Would You Do?

Post by Darrell »

I posted this in another thread, perhaps a poor fit. This video shows an armed robbery at a Jimmy Johns sandwich shop. Look closely at the perp's gun. What would you do? I suppose if I was the guy behind the counter I'd just give him the money, plus it's probably company policy... still, the robber is a dumbass, and probably doesn't know anything about guns. Probably.

https://youtu.be/2xdtZ-ZksDc

ETA: the bad guy got nabbed.

https://youtu.be/FfJsItR1RH8
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Greg

Re: Robbery--What Would You Do?

Post by Greg »

Clerk did perfect, IMO. Calmly hand over the money, and *do not* give bad guy any idea his gun is malf'ed.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I was threatened with a gun once in my life, by the dirtbag druggie older brother of an acquaintance. I would have enjoyed nothing better than to take it away from him and beat him half to death with it (if not clear the malf and shoot his ass). I don't cotton to someone sticking a gun in my face. :evil: Still, the clerk did the right thing, I guess.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Greg

Post by Greg »

Darrell wrote:I was threatened with a gun once in my life, by the dirtbag druggie older brother of an acquaintance. I would have enjoyed nothing better than to take it away from him and beat him half to death with it (if not clear the malf and shoot his ass). I don't cotton to someone sticking a gun in my face. :evil: Still, the clerk did the right thing, I guess.
Clerk is likely not armed, and may not fancy his chances in an unarmed contest. And bad guy needs only a second to clear his malfunction, if he figures it out.

If clerk hears a 'click' it's game on, but up to that point what does he stand to gain?
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Yeah, I know. Just sayin'. The robbery happened in KC, my sis there said the clerk is something of a hero for his cool in the incident.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
randy

Post by randy »

My thought is that while the malfunction is obvious from the angle of the video camera, it might not be so obvious from the perspective of the clerk, who is probably mainly seeing the muzzle pointing at his face. Even assuming he knows enough about firearms to recognize that the weapon is inoperative.

Even if armed, the company is insured, give him the money, secure the door behind him while calling 911, and prepare to repel boarders if the goblin tries to re-enter the store (say because the cops are showing up and he wants to snag a hostage).

ANY indication the goblin is going to start trying to herd the staff to the back of the store, fights on, armed or not, goblins weapon operational or not.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Rich

Post by Rich »

Clerk's probably unarmed.
It isn't his money.
Boss is standing behind him telling him to give the money up.

No brainer.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

My first thought when watching the video was the clerk was baked.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

rightisright wrote:My first thought when watching the video was the clerk was baked.
This is true.

:lol: :lol:
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Rich wrote:Clerk's probably unarmed.
It isn't his money.
Boss is standing behind him telling him to give the money up.

No brainer.
Long ago, when Carter was still doing an impression of Doodles Weaver as President, I worked in a Savings and Loan as a teller.
We got robbed one afternoon, with the robber behind the counter, so he got every teller drawer.
After that, we got a linebacker-sized assistant Branch Manager.
His most notable quote was, "If a robber comes and wants the money from your teller drawer, give it to him. It's his money. It's his jail term, too."

The robber, btw robbed two other S&L's, and at the last one, a sailor on leave and a girl chased him and sat on him in the middle of the street until the cops came.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy