And the prices keep dropping

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
rightisright

Re: And the prices keep dropping

Post by rightisright »

Precision wrote:

Many if not most "welded" comps are just soldered on. A little heat from a torch and presto...
NJ defines law only demands the process be "permanent". There is some discussion as to what that truly means. And with aggressive DA's, no one wants to take a chance, so every FFL I know, drills, pins and MIG or TIG welds over the pin. I do the same with mine at a buddy's shop. Silver solder is also generally considered "permanent", but I don't know anyone who does it.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Might be more cost effective to sell your Jerseyed rifles to another NJ resident, and build/buy new upon reaching Free America.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Precision wrote:
rightisright wrote:
MarkD wrote:Someday I'm moving to America where I can have nice things....

I'll be out of NJ as soon as financially possible. But that hasn't stopped me from enjoying the AR platform. Yeah, I can't fold my stock because it makes the gun much more dangerous. Yeah, I can't add a bayonet because it's the number 2 way gang bangers kill their enemies. But I can still have fun killing paper with my ARs. Plus, all the neutering can be reversed when I leave (cutting off the welded compensators may be a bit of a PITA, but it can be done).

If you want an NJ compliant (spit) model, Gun For Hire is pretty close to you (I think). From what I hear, they do decent AR 15 build classes.

Many if not most "welded" comps are just soldered on. A little heat from a torch and presto...
This, or its ctially pinned and welded over, just a bit of grinding and it will come spinning of onve you yank the pin.

Speaking of pins, dont use solid ones, use hollow pins, as theyre much easier to remove from blind holes.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

slowpoke wrote:
Darrell wrote:I don't get why AKs have become so expensive, compared to ARs. I've seen it argued that modern CNC has helped lower the prices on ARs, vs. more traditional stamping and machining of AKS, not sure I see it, though.
CNC lowered small run prices
It wasnt so much cnc, as simply having only a couple of actual manufacturers, who will make lowers for whoever wants them. It lowers the cost per unit dramatically.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Another company with top quality stuff and decent prices is https://www.specopmfg.com/

Now, their shipping is slow (and they readily state that on their site). But if you don't need it in a rush, they are good to go.

Barrels are 4150 CM, nitrided, MPI and HPT. BCGs are mil-spec (C158, shot peened, MPI, HPT, etc.). Rails and other parts are well made and reasonably priced.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Netpackrat wrote:Might be more cost effective to sell your Jerseyed rifles to another NJ resident, and build/buy new upon reaching Free America.
True. I would probably keep the higher quality ones and sell the others depending on what the market is like at the time.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Or you know, you could just swap the barrel, or even the upper receiver assembly.

Candyman

Post by Candyman »

There are still only five manufacturers of milspec lowers and Spikes Tactical is not one of them. Most remember Red Jacket Firearms. They got their gun kits from Spikes. Spikes got them from one of the five manufacturers.
Now when it comes to billet uppers and lowers there are many that make them. Joe Bob Outfitters has the Spartan billet lower for AR15s or the AR9 that takes the Glock mags. Joe Bobs does not make them, New Frontier Armory makes them. They also make the AR9mm Glock mag lowers that Palmetto State Armory sales.
Anderson Manufacturing is one of the manufacturers of AR uppers and lowers and really upset the AR world by dropping the price of their named brand stripped lowers a while back.
I know a guy that builds ARs and tells people that Anderson lowers are cheap and not to use them. He likes to use another name brand lower that Anderson makes.
A few years ago Mossberg was the largest manufacturer of AR barrels, making about 60% of the barrels that were on the market or used by companies to build their rifles. With the cost of CNC machines going down companies like Bearcreek Arsenal is making barrels that shoot great and cost under $150.
I have a friend that owns a gun shop and sales everything you need to build ARs. The other week he told me that it was crazy how cheap he was able to buy parts for. He is buying Aero Precision stripped lowers, having them Cerakoted in different colors and selling them for $100 and still making money.
The free market is great and with the reduced regulation that are in the works things will only get better.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Candyman wrote: Anderson Manufacturing is one of the manufacturers of AR uppers and lowers and really upset the AR world by dropping the price of their named brand stripped lowers a while back.
I know a guy that builds ARs and tells people that Anderson lowers are cheap and not to use them. He likes to use another name brand lower that Anderson makes.
I picked up a few Anderson lowers right before the election. They are fine. I'd much rather put money into a good quality BCG, barrel, trigger, etc. than worry about what roll mark my lower has on it.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Looks like we hit the $400 price point someone (HTRN?) mentioned a while back. All the same, it blows my mind that something like a WASR now goes for more than an AR.

:?
Eppur si muove--Galileo