School me on free floating

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Weetabix

School me on free floating

Post by Weetabix »

I saw a comment somewhere recently that one cannot free float a semi-automatic rifle. Why is that?

Free floating a bolt rifle simply means making sure there's no forearm touching the barrel, right? Why could that not be accomplished on a semi-automatic rifle? For example, a 10/22?

Maybe the comment was talking about an AR? Would that have something to do with the gas system?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Jericho941

Re: School me on free floating

Post by Jericho941 »

There's a ton of free-floating AR handguards on the market. Mine has this. I'm not sure what that person was talking about.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

My Ruger 10/22 has a match-grade, sporter-weight 22" barrel that is free-floated in the original Deluxe stock. You should have told me that it couldn't be done, before I did it!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

My Daniel Defense M4V7 AR was advertised as "free floated".
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Denis

Post by Denis »

Weetabix wrote:I saw a comment somewhere recently that one cannot free float a semi-automatic rifle. Why is that?
Whoever said that was probably thinking of the gas-impingement systems, which necessarily have some connection between the receiver and the gas port on the barrel (unlike direct-blowback systems). Whether that connection counts as negating a free float of the barrel depends on how you define "free-floating". It's certainly possible to have the handguard on such a gun not touch the barrel, which is how I expect most people would understand the term.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Weetabix wrote:I saw a comment somewhere recently that one cannot free float a semi-automatic rifle. Why is that?

Free floating a bolt rifle simply means making sure there's no forearm touching the barrel, right? Why could that not be accomplished on a semi-automatic rifle? For example, a 10/22?

Maybe the comment was talking about an AR? Would that have something to do with the gas system?
As I understand "free float" it is that there is nothing connecting to the barrel what so ever. This would be different from just "free floated handguard" which could obviously be achieved on anything.

There some semi-auto's that cannot be free floated. M1/M1A/M14 or FAL being the classic example as the gas piston has to be in contact with both the action and the barrel. Technically I guess the AR cannot be free floated because the gas tube still connects the action to the barrel, but it is really negligible.

Obviously, anything that is strictly recoil or delayed blow back (1022, G3, etc.) can rather easily be free floated.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I suspect the dude was talking out his fourth point of contact. While it's true the AR has the gas system, it is still effectively free floated for a variety of complicated reasons, there are plenty of other semi-auto rifles out there that are completely and unquestionably free floated.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Have to agree. It has to be the gas system they are talking about.

Honestly, I have no clue how much that would really effect the barrel whipping around on a shot and effect accuracy. I can't think it is nearly as bad as a big hulking hand guard locked on to it.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

My 6.8 AR is technically free-floated. The National Match sleeve I have surrounding it doesn't touch the barrel, just the gas tube.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Shoot, you can almost free-float an AK at this point. TWS current front handguard unit only grabs the barrel right in front of the receiver and has its own gas tube that doesn't actually contact the gas block.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop