Help me figure out mobile HF radios

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Precision

Re: Help me figure out mobile HF radios

Post by Precision »

Rumpshot wrote:You are not going to notice the difference between 5W and 7W except in battery life.
I assume the 7W will eat the battery quicker. I think you have talked me into the Yaesu. If the extra power is not much help, the aluminum frame and better water resistance are all good things. They all have Baofengs. Some 5R, some 82 and I think one 82HP. I think band commonality would be more important then item commonality with the exception of swapping battery packs. I assume knowing the programmed frequencies is all I would need to know to program my Yaesu to have the same presets as their Baofengs, correct?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
randy

Post by randy »

Precision wrote:
Rumpshot wrote:You are not going to notice the difference between 5W and 7W except in battery life.
I assume the 7W will eat the battery quicker.
The extra 2w might help in a fringe area. You'd get more mileage of replacing the stock factory antenna (AKA "Air Cooled Dummy Loads") with a quality after market antenna.

I have a couple for each handheld I own to use depending on operating environment and mission requirements. (EX, I have shorty antennas to use in areas with solid repeater coverage outdoors for convenience, but also have extended whip antennas to use in rural areas with marginal repeater coverage).

Aluminum in the air beats watts at the transmitter every time.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Precision wrote:They all have Baofengs. Some 5R, some 82 and I think one 82HP. I think band commonality would be more important then item commonality with the exception of swapping battery packs. I assume knowing the programmed frequencies is all I would need to know to program my Yaesu to have the same presets as their Baofengs, correct?
For information only - contains no recommendations:
The Yaesu won't transmit on all the bands that the Baofengs will, but it will receive more.
Baofeng: Frequency Range: 65-108 MHz (Only commercial FM radio reception) VHF: 136-174 MHz(Rx/Tx). UHF: 400-520 MHz(Rx/Tx)
Yaesu: RX: 108-137, 137-520, 700-999.99 (cell probably blocked); Tx: 144-148, 430-450
Recommendations:
You should recommend that no one without a ham license transmit in the ham bands. Hams will DF you.

Presets: yes.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

I had to leave the keyboard before I addressed the rest of Precision's post.

TLDR:
Weetabix wrote: Recommendations:
You should recommend that no one without a ham license transmit in the ham bands.
Reasons:

1. It's illegal. From the forum rules:
and be LEGAL

2. On a practical level, the FCC can and has levied fines in the multi-thousand dollar ranges for non-licensed users.
Hams will DF you
1. Hams have a good working relationship with the FCC enforcement division. They often do the original grunt work (DFing, documentation) and provide cases to the FCC on a platter.

2. There are a group of hams that do this type of stuff (DFing and locating transmitters) for fun. They are very good and fiendishly clever. Your group might fly beneath their RADAR, but once you have their attention, you have it in full.

It's not just about being "the radio police" or messing with kids not in our club. Amateur radio has a lot of privileges and occupies a lot of valuable spectrum. One of the reasons we do is that we are self-policing.

Unlicensed (or worse, licensed amateurs that enjoy being pricks) operators have caused havoc up to and including interference with public safety frequencies. Hams often take the blame from local officials and the general public. So much of this is defensive.

If nothing else, we know what a cesspool CB (11 Meters) became when the FCC gave up even trying to enforce the rules. We don't want that to happen on the amateur bands. (It's bad enough on some frequencies in some locations as it is).

I guess the bottom line is that no responsible licensed amateur is ever to going to recommend anything, especially not on an essentially open forum like this, other than have your group get licensed to use amateur frequencies, or restrict themselves to CB, FRS or other non-license radios.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Weetabix wrote:
Precision wrote:Note to self, find new hobbies that are not so damn expensive.
Quoted for truth! :lol:
I wish my hobbies only cost two grand. :(
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

HTRN wrote:
Weetabix wrote:
Precision wrote:Note to self, find new hobbies that are not so damn expensive.
Quoted for truth! :lol:
You've obviously never seen a hard corps DX or contest station. :ugeek:
Precision

Post by Precision »

I am still very new to this, but in talking with a few members of the group, they have self limited to frequencies that are NOT license required for broadcast (FRS I believe). I don't know the particulars of how that works yet, but I expect that if they are aware of that, they are doing it as such.

They have a couple of guys who are licensed and know the rules and set up the guidelines for everyone else. I will see as I get more involved with them and with HAM.

In trying to grow my business while working 2 other income streams, learning the Ham rules has taken a back seat. I am hoping to get some basics figured out tomorrow as I need a day of NOT working.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

randy wrote:
HTRN wrote:
Weetabix wrote: Quoted for truth! :lol:
You've obviously never seen a hard corps DX or contest station. :ugeek:
You've obviously never looked through an industrial catalog. :ugeek: :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

Precision wrote:I am still very new to this, but in talking with a few members of the group, they have self limited to frequencies that are NOT license required for broadcast (FRS I believe). I don't know the particulars of how that works yet, but I expect that if they are aware of that, they are doing it as such.
Cool! I didn't mean to get into lecture mode, but I've found it's easier to get this out early before someone has invested in equipment or set up habits that might not be optimal for their intended purposes.
They have a couple of guys who are licensed and know the rules and set up the guidelines for everyone else.
I'm in a similar situation with a local CERT team. Since it's sponsored by a local FD, I also have to include proper usage of Department provided Public Safety radios in the mix.
In trying to grow my business while working 2 other income streams, learning the Ham rules has taken a back seat. I am hoping to get some basics figured out tomorrow as I need a day of NOT working.
I understand. Let us know if you need assistance or explanations as you read about stuff. I know it's hard to sort out what you really need to get started vs the nice to know or stuff you'll want as you advance.
Precision

Post by Precision »

I have gone through the links several times. I thought there was a link to free study literature, I do not seem to find it. I did find the free practice exams. I got a 40(ish) just based on common sense on the technical. Not bad.

If there is no good free study guide, please help me spend my money wisely.

I finally broke down and bought a Boafeng 82hp. I figured at $100 including the programming cable, an extended life back up battery... could do a lot worse. I held off on the fancy antenna for now as Iwant to see what the factory one does, locally. I am sure I will get it, but my trip point was $100 on getting involved.