Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
SoupOrMan

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by SoupOrMan »

Just finished "The Scarlet Pimpernel" by Baroness Orczy. While not as slapstick as Warner Brothers' "The Scarlet Pumpernickel" it was a fun read and I think I'm going to look for the rest of the series.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Greg

Post by Greg »

Working through the Black Company series again. I skipped one the first time around.

Read the first 3 (4th one is due out any minute) Caine books by Rich Gannon. They're surprisingly good, much better than I expected.

Read the first Jao Empire book by KD Wentworth and Eric Flint. Liked it a great deal, will have to read the others. Was sorry to learn that Wentworth passed away recently, and her role in the series was handed on to someone else.

Partway through Niall Ferguson's 'The Ascent of Money'.

Reading David Friedman's 'The Machinery of Freedom'. Well it's interesting certainly, but it kind of breaks down when it comes to law enforcement (AnCaps fundamentally can't seem to come up with an internally consistent system capable of *punishment*, which to my mind is a disqualifying flaw) and I just can't get through the section on national defense.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Cybrludite wrote:
Oh, and as a local, the Audible version has me grinding my teeth.
Like Kevin Costner in JFK bad???
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Clear and Present Danger
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

dfwmtx wrote:"The Peshawar Lancers", which I haven't read since college.
Go read "2025 USA ISOTed to Peshawar Universe" on alternatehistory.com, you'll have to sign up though.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
evan price

Post by evan price »

Spenser books. So many...
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Steamforger wrote:
Cybrludite wrote:
Oh, and as a local, the Audible version has me grinding my teeth.
Like Kevin Costner in JFK bad???
Worse. Pronouncing "fais do do" as "fay doo doo".
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

On the fiction side, The Empire's Corps by Christopher G. Nutall.

Non-fiction, Military Effectiveness, vol II: The Interwar Years by Allen Millett and Williamson Murray (eds). Continuing to grind my way slowly through the Duke PhD military history reading list.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

World Class Quality by Kiki Bhote - finished reading it for some training I am going to be doing at work (I am the trainer). Good book in general, typical consultant "my stuff works great and everyone else is an idiot" stuff but the principles and tools he works through are practical and well thought out. It is a variation of the Shainin / Red-X method. It is a good potential alternate tool set vs Lean / Lean-6 Sigma or DFSS tool sets (which are also good, but have their limitations).