Marlin .30-30

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
First Shirt

Re: Marlin .30-30

Post by First Shirt »

I know that I can mount a regular scope on the Marlin, but that would prohibit the installation of a ghost ring rear sight, and it's important that this rifle have both. Besides, even with the 160 gr. FTX bullets and LVR powder, it will be, at best, a 200 yard gun (depending on the shooter), so it doesn't really need a lot of glass, since most of the shots, here or there, will be 100 yards or less. (The other two Minions are still running their original Leupold M8 4X scopes on their 7mm-08s, to good effect in the field.) I'm trying to keep it as light and versatile as I can, within the limits of the design.

I'm basically setting it up the way I would set one up for myself. Fortunately, anything that I add can be easily removed/replaced with something different, to suit the new user.

I've put Andy's Rhodesian slings on just about everything I have that will accommodate a sling, even the rifles of the other Minions. Properly adjusted, they are a terrific aid in shooting from improvised field positions, and an attractive and sturdy piece of equipment, besides.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
BDK

Post by BDK »

A cheek pad might be a good idea.

I really like WWG's trigger on my Marlin
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

First Shirt wrote:I know that I can mount a regular scope on the Marlin, but that would prohibit the installation of a ghost ring rear sight, and it's important that this rifle have both.
There's always the good ol' Soviet "chin weld". ;) Can you make a ghost ring and scope co-witness on a lever action? It sounds busy. I've been watching Hickok 45's lever action vids lately, he sure likes his ghost ring sights on their own. I would think a ghost ring on its own would be fine for the distances you're talking about.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

No, the ghost ring will attach to the receiver using the two rearmost scope mount screw holes. If I mount the rear sight there, there's no place to attach a standard scope mount. That's why I want a rail forward of the action, so I can have a good rear sight (the factory buckhorns are pretty much just for decoration) and still mount an optic on it.

I've got the picture in my head of what it should look like, but can't find the actual photograph. (Don't you hate when that happens?)

ETA: Found it! This is a 94 Winchester, not a Marlin, but it's the same idea.
4sies4 (1024x768).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Look up Weaver Pivot Mounts. I don't think they're made now, but there were jillions made. Regular scope in regular location, just pivot it outta th way to use irons. Might meet yr needs.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah, backup rear sight behind a scope without a QD mount of some kind is kind of useless. I have exactly one rifle with "see through" rings, but it ended up that way only because the scope had to be that high for the objective to clear the rifle.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Have two sets of Warne QD rings that need a home, so I might use one set of them, if the Weaver Quad Locks are too low. They're pretty nice rings, and you just flip a lever to unlock them from the base, no tools required. But they're steel rings, and not appreciably stouter than the aluminum Quad Locks, but a noticeable amount heavier.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Well, it's a work in progress, but I think it's coming along pretty well. Don't laugh, it's a pawn shop special, and it looks like it!

So far, I've polished the bolt a little, cleaned up the trigger, replaced extractor and ejector (and added spares of both, as well as an extra lever pivot screw to the spares kit) added a Williams Firesight front, and a Williams peep rear. Installed a Weaver scout rail, and a Burris 2 3/4X IER scope, and got the whole thing bore-sighted at 25 yards.

Waiting on the recoil pad, ammo cuff, and FTX bullets to get here to finish it up, and work up some loads for it. It's been a fun project, and I really hope she likes it!

Lindy Cooper Wisdom
randy

Post by randy »

Oooohhh! Purty!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I like it.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!