Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
HTRN

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by HTRN »

Dinochrome One wrote:Keith Laumer is long gone but the Bolos are still soldiering on.
I think it works simply because of the unique premise..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Darrell wrote:I'm back on Pratchett, presently reading The Wee Free Men. Funny book, rather charming. I got a bunch more of the Discworld books for Xmas.
My wife and I rewatch "The Hogfather" every Christmas. And sometimes midyear. It really is a great Christmas story (and the book is even better).
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Rich Jordan wrote:
Darrell wrote:I'm back on Pratchett, presently reading The Wee Free Men. Funny book, rather charming. I got a bunch more of the Discworld books for Xmas.
My wife and I rewatch "The Hogfather" every Christmas. And sometimes midyear. It really is a great Christmas story (and the book is even better).
I was unaware of its existence on video. I'll have to watch it, thanks.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Darrell wrote:
Rich Jordan wrote:
I was unaware of its existence on video. I'll have to watch it, thanks.
I hope you enjoy it. It has Michelle Dockery in her best role (IMHO)
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I'm reading Alan Turing: The Enigma. Just got started, but it looks like it will be good. I hope they focus more on his math than on his orientation.
Dinochrome One wrote:Found some vintage Kratman at a used-book store in Rolla; A Desert Called Peace...
That was a good one, as I recall.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Finished John Ringo's 2nd Monster Hunter Memoirs book this morning. On to the latest Jack Reacher novel. After that, I'm going to take some books I bought in Dec. out of hiding (wasn't supposed to by my self things for Christmas, but I did). Bunch of Icelandic stuff, "The Good Shepherd", a play about the outlaw Fjalla-Evyndur and Halla, and some more Gunnar Gununarson "THe Sworn Brothers".
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Jered

Post by Jered »

Dinochrome One wrote:Found some vintage Kratman at a used-book store in Rolla; A Desert Called Peace and Carnifex.
You can find The Lotus Eaters on Amazon for $4.40 shipped.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

Jered wrote:
Dinochrome One wrote:Found some vintage Kratman at a used-book store in Rolla; A Desert Called Peace and Carnifex.
You can find The Lotus Eaters on Amazon for $4.40 shipped.
Thanks! However, I found The Lotus Eaters, Come And Take Them, and Rod and Axes on Ebay for about that price. I should have them by the end of the week.
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Weetabix wrote:
randy wrote:Monster Hunter Memoirs: Sinners The second Ringo/Correia collaboration. Ringo wrote the stories and Correia edited for continuity with the mainstream MHI series, and toned down some of John's, ah, enthusiasms ;) . I believe the quote was (based on my memory from the website) "John, my kids read these books!"

Fun read so far. Much 80's gun geekdom. Don't think it would stand up as a standalone, but it wasn't intended as such. Set in New Orleans, but I haven't spent enough time there (I think a total of 12 hours) to have a feel for how well he captures the place.
Calling Cyberludite for a review!
He gets a few things wrong. Metairie is unincorporated, so we have Jefferson Parish deputies, rather than "Metairie cops", and the airport was still named Moisant until they changed it to Louis Armstrong in 2001. It was much fairer to the locals than the snippits he posted to Facebook made it seem it would be. Not sure if my kvetching on the subject nudged things in that direction or not. I got redshirtted as the Elysian Fields Hoodoo Squad guy in the recruiting scene. (And I plan on putting together that outfit for LibertyCon this year... :twisted: )

Oh, and as a local, the Audible version has me grinding my teeth.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Weetabix wrote:Oh, John Ringo, no! :lol:
I have to work a reference to this phrase in a story.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds