New Savage Project

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
randy

Re: New Savage Project

Post by randy »

Netpackrat wrote:Not sure what is wrong with your camera, but you can flip that back around in Photoshop.
:D

Nice one!

(referring to rifle and zinger)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

randy wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:Not sure what is wrong with your camera, but you can flip that back around in Photoshop.
:D

Nice one!

(referring to rifle and zinger)
Only left handed people are in their right minds, etc., etc. :P

That's right purty, First! I wouldn't know how to act with a LH bolt action, even if I am a southpaw.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Very nice! You can't go wrong w. Savage.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

That looks super!
I got a Savage Catalog from my local MOD and didn't see that, or the shop mentioned. Have they discontinued the gun or that service, or have I (again) missed something in my reading?
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Savage has a sort of custom shop, in that, if what you want can be built with available components, they will make whatever you want. Prices are pretty reasonable, and delivery is usually 4 to 6 months.
If you're interested, contact Ms. Effie Sullivan at
1-800-370-0708 ext# 6 or
1-413-642-4145 Monday -Friday 8 Am to 4 PM., EST.
(this was current as of 2 years ago )

She knows the parts interchangeability better than anyone should, and can usually tell you if it can be done, and quote you a price right then.

This one is a homebuilt project, and is not for sale. The Minion loves it, and wouldn't trade it for a solid gold monkey!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Thanks!
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

When I ordered mine, I was told that the wait would be 6 to 8 months. After 9 months, I called the dealer I"d ordered it through, and discovered that either the order wasn't entered by Savage, or he hadn't actually placed the order. Both sides claimed responsibility, and Ms. Sullivan moved my order to the head of the line, and took $100 off the quoted price. My dealer, not to be outdone, took $100 off on his end, and gave me two boxes of Federal premium ammunition for the rifle. Took another month, but I finally had it, exactly as I'd ordered it, and for less than $100 over the MSRP of the factory version, only mine was in the caliber I wanted (7mm-08), and left-handed. Been trying to wear it out ever since!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Denis

Post by Denis »

First Shirt wrote:... mine was in the caliber I wanted (7mm-08), and left-handed.
Do you find it difficult and/or expensive to get 7mm-08 ammunition? Perhaps you just roll your own...
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Factory choices in 7mm-08 are pretty limited, unless you go to a serious gun shop, and then you'll pay 1-2 bucks more per box than for a similar load in .308. The demand just isn't there.

But the cost of components is the same for both, and reloading really brings the 7mm-08 into the limelight. Besides, at the rate The Minions go through ammunition, I'd be bankrupt if I didn't reload.

(And when the youngest Minion started shooting with us, I could load her "custom" loads of a 120 gr. bullet at 2500 fps, which was plenty accurate, and had enough mustard on it to work like a charm of deer and medium-to-smallish pigs, while not beating her to death with recoil. And for a lot less money than the factory "managed recoil" loads). She has since graduated to the same load the rest of us use, a 140 gr. bullet at 2750 fps. And we've been playing around with the 160 gr. spitzers at around 2600 fps, and they are showing great potential, in case I hit the lottery, and we can afford a trip to Wyoming for elk.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

First Shirt wrote:, while not beating her to death with recoil.
Thats more a question of form than mass - small women and girls have a nasty habit of leaning back with rifles, because they lack the upper body strength to hold a typical :shock: 10 lb rifle properly. They're is no great mystery to it.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt