Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Weetabix

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Weetabix »

randy wrote:Monster Hunter Memoirs: Sinners The second Ringo/Correia collaboration. Ringo wrote the stories and Correia edited for continuity with the mainstream MHI series, and toned down some of John's, ah, enthusiasms ;) . I believe the quote was (based on my memory from the website) "John, my kids read these books!"

Fun read so far. Much 80's gun geekdom. Don't think it would stand up as a standalone, but it wasn't intended as such. Set in New Orleans, but I haven't spent enough time there (I think a total of 12 hours) to have a feel for how well he captures the place.
Calling Cyberludite for a review!
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
g-man

Post by g-man »

Read most of Tim Ferriss's '4-hour Workweek', and picked up a number of time-saving techniques which have cost me zero productivity (Check email only twice daily, and get the 1 thing you actually need done before 11am so you're gtg when the day goes sideways after lunch). Started the low/slow carb diet based on some of the stuff in workweek, an have since convinced my best friend to do same. Since he was working off the diet as laid out in Ferriss's '4-hour body', I picked up a copy and devoured all 575 pages (pun intended) in about 3 days. Have lost over 20lbs (and ~5% body fat) since Halloween, and being back at a fighting weight of 185 is not only in the foreseeable future, but in the near term.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I read the 4HWW a few years ago. I kind of liked the DEAL acronym. I've delegated, eliminated, and automated quite a bit and gotten our president on board with a lot of it. It's not all my doing (though I like to think my input contributed quite a bit), but we had pretty substantial bonuses this year.

I'm still working on "location." ;)

ETA: I'm putting that back on the to read stack.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Recently finished Hornfischer's Neptune's Inferno and Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, Vincent O'Hara's On Seas Contested, and Alfred Lansing's Endurance (about the Shackleton expedition). Just started Marcus Aurelius's Meditations (I could use some Stoic philosophy after this semester) and Barbara Tuchman's The Proud Tower.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

I'm starting on David Weber's 'At the Sign of Triumph', the newest book in his Safehold series.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Currently reading "Warsaw 1920" by Adam Zamoyski. It's an interesting book about the Polish-Soviet War right after WW1. Lenin wanted to spread Communism by force of arms and the Poles were all "No thank you." So the Poles made the first tactical error of trying to liberate Ukraine without getting permission from the British or French. Then it all went bloody and vicious from there.

It's a good book so far.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

Found some vintage Kratman at a used-book store in Rolla; A Desert Called Peace and Carnifex. I'm looking for The Lotus-Eaters and only finding high prices. I'm also looking for the latest Man-Kzin Wars and Bolo books. Niven is still around and letting people play in his universe(s). Keith Laumer is long gone but the Bolos are still soldiering on.
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Dinochrome One wrote:FI'm also looking for the latest Man-Kzin Wars and Bolo books. Niven is still around and letting people play in his universe(s). Keith Laumer is long gone but the Bolos are still soldiering on.
I still find myself pulling my Bolo books down every couple of years to reread them (along with some Retief).

But I heard Richard Adams died this week. I think I'm going to reread Watership Down next.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Nearly finished with "The Fabulous Trashwagon" by Burt Levy.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I'm back on Pratchett, presently reading The Wee Free Men. Funny book, rather charming. I got a bunch more of the Discworld books for Xmas.
Eppur si muove--Galileo