Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Captain Wheelgun

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

I've just started on 'The Killer Angels' by Michael Shaara. For some reason, I have the soundtrack from 'Gettysburg' playing in my mind as I read. :geek:
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Score! In Denver a couple of weeks ago wife and I found a used bookstore near our hotel. I wasn't specifically looking for the two titles, but I found two out-of-print novels; Katherine Kurz "Lammas Night" and Harry Harrison's "A Rebel in Time". Been wanting to read the former for years.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

First Shirt wrote:Monster Hunter: Grunge a collaboration between John Ringo and Larry Corriea. Not a combination I would have picked, and not entirely sure how it's all going to work out, since the main character is not like any of Larry's previous main characters. But it's fun, so far.
You are being too kind. Ringo's handling of the MHI universe is insufferable, most of all the protagonist. I cannot fathom what possessed Corriea to let Ringo publish this POS. I was looking forward to this so much and now I'm just pissed because there is more of this crap on the way.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
evan price

Post by evan price »

dfwmtx wrote:Score! In Denver a couple of weeks ago wife and I found a used bookstore near our hotel. I wasn't specifically looking for the two titles, but I found two out-of-print novels; Katherine Kurz "Lammas Night" and Harry Harrison's "A Rebel in Time". Been wanting to read the former for years.
Harry Harrison, great books. An old favorite.

I started Patricia Briggs' "Mercy Thompson" series, and read the first three straight through in three days. Good storyteller, good characters.
Finished Kim Harrison's "Rachel Morgan" series, it was getting stretched by the end but not bad.
Laurell K. Hamilton's "Anita Blake" series, I'm in book eight. She really hit her groove after the divorce, and her discovery of the bdsm world. It's a bit tedious with all the blood and sex but I can cope.
Also Darkship Thieves by Sarah Hoyt was just finished. Interesting SF with a very Ayn Rand meets Heinlien vibe going.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

OK, so "Lammas Night" got dropped in favor of the new Harry Turtledove Hot War novel, "Fallout". Long story short, Truman allowed MacArthur to nuke the Norks and Chinese, and Stalin didn't like it, with nuclear war ensuing. L'chaim!
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Currently reading "Fall of the Double Eagle" by John Schindler. It's about the Austro-Hungarian empire in World War I and how the Habsburgs' lazy approach to military affairs led to their ultimate defeat. If you want to understand how a multi-ethnic nation can disappear in a few years, read this. It's worth the $12.99.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
evan price

Post by evan price »

Patricia Briggs- Alpha and Omega. On book three.
One more Sarah Hoyt.
MZW A Long Time Until Now.
Kelly Armstrong- Women of the Otherworld, first four books. Not bad.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Hm. I haven't posted here in a while, and I'm too lazy to go see what I was reading last time, but here's a recent list.

Undaunted Courage - narrative of the Lewis and Clark Expedition
The Disadvantages of Being Educated and Other Essays, Albert Jay Nock

Heading back into some Heinlein juveniles:
Red Planet
The Star Beast

I'll have to raid my daughter's stash. I gave her most of mine a few years ago.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I took a break from Pratchett's Discworld books, and am presently slogging through Mike Cox's Texas Rangers: Wearing the Cinco Peso, 1821-1900. I started this book after seeing the History Channel mini series on the Texas Rangers a couple of years ago. I found the book rather disappointing--no mention of Deaf Smith at all, a passing reference to Big Foot Wallace, and though the author did mention Billy Dixon and the Battle of Adobe Walls, he never touched on Dixon's 'crack shot' with a .50-90 Sharps rifle, knocking an Indian off his horse at very long range and ending the fight.

I think I'm getting some more Discworld books for Xmas. I'm also thinking of rereading O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
randy

Post by randy »

Monster Hunter Memoirs: Sinners The second Ringo/Correia collaboration. Ringo wrote the stories and Correia edited for continuity with the mainstream MHI series, and toned down some of John's, ah, enthusiasms ;) . I believe the quote was (based on my memory from the website) "John, my kids read these books!"

Fun read so far. Much 80's gun geekdom. Don't think it would stand up as a standalone, but it wasn't intended as such. Set in New Orleans, but I haven't spent enough time there (I think a total of 12 hours) to have a feel for how well he captures the place.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".