Star Wars - Rogue One

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Denis

Star Wars - Rogue One

Post by Denis »

Just watched this in the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed it. A real throwback to the early movies, and it provides some nice backstory for them too. Lots of explosions, and plenty of little other-movie nods for the alert - I spotted at least Platoon, a View to a Kill, Alien(s) and Futurama, but might have to see it again to catch them all.

Recommended Christmas theatregoing...
Darrell

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Post by Darrell »

I didn't see the last Star Wars movie, and have little interest in this one. That said, how many times can they keep going to the well with Darth Vader and the Death Star???
Eppur si muove--Galileo
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

[spoiler]Everybody dies at the end.[/spoiler]

I'm still amazed at how Hollywood can bring back the dead for movies. Brandon Lee, Paul Walker, Laurence Olivier; got a two-fer here.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Greg

Post by Greg »

Darrell wrote:I didn't see the last Star Wars movie, and have little interest in this one. That said, how many times can they keep going to the well with Darth Vader and the Death Star???
Every time. Basically everything Star Wars is awesome if it makes some effective use of Vader at some point in his life, and sucks if it doesn't.

The Clone Wars cartoons (both of them, really) were unexpectedly good. At times, astonishingly good, with the same late adolescent Anakin who was so horrifically awful in II and III. They just used him better, made him a better, fuller, character.

And the Rebels cartoon, when Vader gets involved, has been good enough to make grown men cry. Season 2 finale.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Vader vs. the Rebel redshirts was a definite "Oh crap!" moment for the good guys. I'd also add that the 3D version had no jarring "Look! We blew half our budget on this stupid effect! Are you not entertained?" moments.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Denis wrote:Just watched this in the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed it. A real throwback to the early movies, and it provides some nice backstory for them too. Lots of explosions, and plenty of little other-movie nods for the alert - I spotted at least Platoon, a View to a Kill, Alien(s) and Futurama, but might have to see it again to catch them all.

I detected a distinct note of Marvin the Paranoid Android in some of K2's lines, especially at the beginning. "But what do I know..."
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
evan price

Post by evan price »

Langenator wrote:
Denis wrote:Just watched this in the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed it. A real throwback to the early movies, and it provides some nice backstory for them too. Lots of explosions, and plenty of little other-movie nods for the alert - I spotted at least Platoon, a View to a Kill, Alien(s) and Futurama, but might have to see it again to catch them all.

I detected a distinct note of Marvin the Paranoid Android in some of K2's lines, especially at the beginning. "But what do I know..."
K2 was the best character imho.
Voice actor was Alan Tudyk. Wash from Firefly.
Best star wars movie so far imho. But a Scooby doo ending was not in the cards and I liked that.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

meh, saw it a second time today with the fam, this time I was rested and stayed awake almost all the way through.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
George guy

Post by George guy »

I don't get why they had to digitally reanimate Peter Cushing, when Tarkin's voice actor could have managed an acceptable likeness with some makeup. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0377844/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t7
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

The wife and I are still debating whether Princess Leia was Carrie Fisher or CGI.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus